Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underpinng complete but no certificate available

Options
  • 19-08-2021 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭

My partner and I are in the process of purchasing a house. We are in the final stages. A date has been agreed for closing etc..

There was subsidence underpinning carried out on the house back in 2008. There is no certificate available for this works as it was issued to the previous home owner who is now deceased. The relatives selling the house are insisting they have nothing they can provide, which is understandable given the circumstances.

After a whole lot of calling and emailing of different subsidence contractors, I found that Cumnor did the underpinning works. Cumnor have sent me an email directly stating that they completed the work in 2008. It states that the house was underpinned, drains done, drive re-laid etc., etc.. They provided a house plan showing the pin locations.

Is this satisfactory for house insurance purposes? We are working on this at the moment but we were told that without a cert it'll be hard to even get a quote... It appears that the cert simply does not exist anymore.

What happens if we eventually decide to up and sell the house in a few years from now? Will we have this whole issue again about the certificate? How many years need to have passed before that becomes irrelevant, if ever?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭e.r

If cumnor have responded to your email, can they not re issue the cert or stand over their previous works?

if then still no cert available, maybe ask for quotes from insurance companies based on how it stands atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Cumnor have said they did not issue the certificate, it was the consulting engineer at the time who issued it. Unfortunately he claims to have no records available from the time of the work and is not willing to engage or assist any further

This all might be a non-issue depending on what the bank say anyway. Insurance doesn't seem to be an issue as such, as getting subsistence insurance seems impossible in this area anyway. I've spoken to two brokers and both came back with similar responses regarding subsidence cover. They are willing to insure without subsidence cover.

Advertisement