Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion video in Thurles school

Options
  • 20-08-2021 1:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

i wonder a lot about this.

Didnt the teacher watch this video before showing it? Was the complaint made after the first viewing in class or had it been shown already to other classes? It seems that somebody in the Dept of Education authorised the video, again did they even bother to watch it? Does one person have responsibility or is there a team and do they have any training in anything other than ticking boxes? Wouldn’t you think that with such an emotive topic they would have looked at it first, especially since it was brought in from the US? If the teacher watched it before showing it, it wasn’t a very mature decision either, was it? Seems a distinct lack of common sense there. The video might have horrified those watching, as if it were a horror film, but would it really turned them off abortion? We are a small country, we don’t have the numbers of fundamental Catholics and Christians that they have in the country where the video came from, and our young women are not as ‘sheltered’ from other realities.

Those who want to promote the anti abortion agenda need to be a bit more clever. This is hysterical lying rubbish. It’s not doing them any favours, in conspiracy theory territory. Seriously, they have to change tack and then see if they are anymore successful. Now that I think of it, there probably are more intelligent educational videos in our schools, and this one just got through by mistake.

My post is not about abortion itself, but about how abortion is presented in our schools, be it pro or con, in this case con because that’s what the newspaper article was about.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Niamh on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

What exactly are you talking about?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

The Ursuline Convent in Thurles showed 6th years a pro-life anti abortion video which was made by a Texas group. It said that women who have abortions have a high risk of breast cancer, foetal organs are sold to researchers to find a cure for Parkinson’s and that the scalp of the foetus can be used to cure baldness. Some of the students were upset by the video and a parent complained.

Given that in America the deadline for abortions can be (were) much higher than in Europe the possibility exists. But I have no idea whether the claims are true or not. I suppose if the possibility exists, there will always be those who say that it happens all the time.

The investigation took eighteen (18) months to decide that it did not warrant a full disciplinary.

Again, my post is not about abortion, but how it is presented in schools. Each side has the right to present their point of view, but we can do without these tactics.

Article in the Indo

Post edited by Kewreeuss on

Advertisement