Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ancestry DNA Tests

• 20-08-2021 2:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Just wondering if anyone on here had ever done these Ancestry DNA tests. I had a friend talking about it recently and intends to buy a whole batch of them as Christmas presents...

I am more than a bit wary of them for a whole host of reasons, but also a bit curious. There is a very particular family 'secret' and I would be very worried about potentially poking a hornets nest, but like I said, also very curious.

Apart from the 'secret' I am really interested in the general family history.

Anyone have any experience with them?

P

Post edited by pinkypinky on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭GoogleBot

Are you talking about my heritage website?

After opening acount go to setting and make you account private.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Just found this in a quiet part of the site so have moved it to a more suitable forum. Hopefully you will get some more help here @peannoir :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Thanks @Boards.ie: Niamh

Welcome @peannoir

We've lots of experience here in the genealogy forum with DNA tests.

You're probably best to start with an autosomal test which you can do with Ancestry.co.uk, MyHeritage, 23andMe, FamilyTreeDNA and some other places. I'd go for Ancestry because it's the biggest database. If you hang on a few weeks, they'll probably have a Christmas offer.

Secrets:

If there is a family secret involving mis-attributed parentage or extra-marital affairs which resulted in a child, then a DNA test is almost certain to uncover it. But not everyone understands what they see. If you want to avoid this, then a DNA test is not for you. However, remember that it doesn't have to be a close relative to uncover such a secret. You might find a second cousin whose done a test that throws up a mystery individual.

Family History: well, you're in the right place now. Have a read of our beginners' sticky & feel free to ask questions.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement