Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EIR broadband query

Options
  • 20-08-2021 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

so im up for renewal again with virgin media. i use broadband only and costing me 63 euro a month currently. (too expensive)

i called them and the best offer they can give me is 30 for 6 months then 60 for 6 months for 250MB for 12 month contract.

im getting maybe 35 upload and 8 download (not great)

i called EIR ands theyre saying 100Mb fiber for 30 a month for 12 months..is this too good to be true?

Anyone any experience with this package?

i live in dublin 15/clonsilla area

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

Fiber package starting from 150 Mbps -1000 Mbps

Up to 100 Mbps package- not a fiber , but copper line. 100mbps - theoretical max speed for copper line in here, pure depending how far is the nearest cabinet to you. To get 100 Mbps you have to live with in 100-200 meters from the phone cabinet.

ps . If they offering you 150 Mbps package- that would be proper fiber into the house , not dependent on distances from cabinet or exchange, €30 good deal too, just make sure there's no hidden charges ( aka activation/installation fees)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

35 Mbps speeds you are getting from 250 Mbps package- definitely something wrong here. Speed test probably not taken properly , I presume it is done wireless and your phone stuck into 2.4Ghz band instead of 5GHz band.

Post edited by alec76 on

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭baegan

yep done wirelessly from laptop, its very poor.

i called them and virgin say service is all good their end, so way too much for what im actually getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭BArra

but that means your equipment is the problem, nothing to do with what virgin are supplying you?

test your connection connecting with an ethernet cable direct from the virgin modem into a laptop or desktop with a 1gb ethernet card, does a speedtest return full speed of 250mb?

Advertisement