Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Laptop Disposal

Options
  • 20-08-2021 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭

I have a broken laptop that I want to get rid of safely but I have no idea how?

it’s not worth anything but I wouldn’t like it to cost me to dispose of it either

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Bring it to any recycling centre for free, make sure the HDD is not recoverable (smash it with a hammer) before bringing it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

You are over thinking this. If you are concerned with privacy, and not satisfied with formatting the drive, and recycling, then pull the hard drive out and put a drill through it.

Then the remains can be dropped into the dump or any of the recycling points for free. There is no charge as it comes under WEEE regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭wandererz

Is there a Powercity near you?

They normally have a metal cage at the entrance or exit where you can throw in your electrical items.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

My dog chewed through the charger cable when he was a puppy so I can’t turn it on to delete everything, it was kind of broken before then though!

I’ll check out the power city thing. Does the battery need to be disposed of separately?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Just destroy the HDD and drop it into Power city or recycling depot. There is no charge. No need to remove battery.

• Advertisement
Advertisement