Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who collects old vintage radios?

• 20-08-2021 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

As in the title, who collects old vintage radios? Will you share your collection with us?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Me!

My shack is up in a heap with the last while, as I’m having a fully sealed lean to built on one side of the house for storing everything that shouldn’t be in the shed. When I reclaim that space I’ll get back at it again.

I have a selection of everything from the thirties to the seventies. Valve and later transistor. Some nice vintage audio gear too (Technics/Marantz). HMV, Bush, Decca (just the one tranny), Philips, Ekco, and Pye. Nothing exotic except the HMV which is a beautiful work in progress, a 650 from 1936 or so.

Projects for restoration are readily available here, although everything seems to be an “Irish Pye!”

I’m hoping to hit the UK in autumn and pick up some more unusual ones, once I have the shed/shack space sorted out.

Only one TV in the collection-a Hitachi with a very soft tube. In the pile for restoration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,046 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

I have been collecting Japanese radios since the 80's.

Here are a selection of some of the items I have collected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Had that Sony in the bottom right. Sold it for mad-money last year. Still a firm favourite of spies!

I have the ICF 7600 alright. I must recap it sometime as it's disappointing enough on HF.

Lot of QRM here though...

Every so often you can pick one of those up for maybe €100 on eBay.  They are really cool.

But you have to be aware there are a few weak areas on these radios like the battery compartment. 

If you go at the batteries full tongs, you will damage the surrounding plastic.

The ribbon cables connecting the base to the display go open circuit in the first version, because of the lack of a notch in the hinge and the opening and closing of the radio. This was corrected in subsequent versions.

The "leather" case rots and breaks up sometimes if not stored at room temperature in a dry area.

This type of material was never meant to last 30 years.

Caps are fine in this radio, never cause problems like they do in the ICF sw001.

Caps in some of these Sony radios have been a disaster for customers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

It depends what you mean by 'vintage'.... I have a collection of bits and pieces that I sometimes use in talks given to young people. I start off by telling them that some of the radios I have, weren't vintage when I bought and used them!

Includes :

1980's Grundig Satellite 1400, 1940's RCA AR77 military communications receiver, 1927 BBC Crystal set. 1950's portable valve AM receiver (battery powered), 1970's AM/FM & CB radio receiver, 1980's Airband, 1960's early Transistor radio, 1980's pocket Sony FM transistor, 1950's Murphy house radio, 1980's Summit Freeplay wind up radio, 1980's Hitachi TRK 8080 BoomBox (used to tape most of the recordings featured on Anorak Hour programmes) It's not that I collect them so much, more that I am given them to save from being thrown in a skip.

I usually go through the various design changes that resulted in easier use through the decades - better frequency ranges, smaller physical size, the change from mains powered valves to battery valves to discrete semi conductor components and on to integrated circuits. I end up by showing them an Alinco DJ X3 communications receiver, explaining that for its tiny size, it covers more radio bands than all the others combined (50% of the physical size is the 3 x AA battery compartment).

I then tell them that they have the most powerful communications receivers ever built, in their pockets and that their phones can be used to listen to radio from all over the world.

You have to hope that a spark of interest might break out to use their phones for more than watching video of cats playing the piano 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭itguyinaction

Let me allow to propose you one video:

Iconic Hi-Fi towers, equipment for marine, military and diving (Radmor)

*** Reportage from the exhibition dedicated to the legendary Radmor company products. Do you remember those iconic Hi-Fi towers from the 80's? In addition, equipment for ships, divers and army. Welcome! ***

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I had one of these in the late 70s but haven't seen it in years. It may be in my parents' attic. Many an evening I spent with it DXing, chunky Soviet style.

Vega Selena B212.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Nice gear. I now have what my wife calls 'clutter crap' envy. 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I have a Sangean ATS909 in mint condition up for sale. If you're interested, pls PM me.

• Advertisement

Hmm. Could go for that myself maybe. If he’s not interested.

How much are you asking?

Built like a tank these, and sold here in modest numbers.

Fine respectable radios.

(Prick of a site dropped the quote-I was referring of course to the Vega).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭tinytobe

Euro 180 plus cost of shipment, maybe 15 Euros? All in original packaging.

Seems reasonable eough, but I'll give the other chap first refusal, as you asked him! We can take it to PM so as not to clog the thread if he's not interested.

Just to confirm I am not interested. I have a Sony that is a near exact clone, so I will stick with that.

Thank you.

Advertisement