Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you have to disclose whether you’ve had vaccine?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

So an online poll, like the many on this website, which attracts a specific demographic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

You have heard the definition of an expert being someone who learns more and more about less and less until they know nearly everything about almost nothing.

Appealing to authority is one of the classical logical fallacies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

What new evidence did we get for the lab leak theory?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,708 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Do you have the study? Efficacy against high viral load infections is of course a different measure to efficacy against severe disease and death (though they may be linked).

Malone has gone full on grift in the past 2 weeks, you're right that discredited is thrown about too much these days, but it definitely applies in his case.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ohnohedidnt

Yeah, I can't post links, but if you google oxford covid efficacy study I'm sure you'll find it. I agree about severe disease and death, but that is getting into the realm of personal outcomes, which is my point. If vaccination prevents severe outcomes, which it does, great for the vaccinated people. But if the major difference after 5-6 months is personal outcomes, then somebody else's vaccine status shouldn't matter to a vaccinated person, and they can just mind their own business.

• Advertisement

I presume this is the one:

finalfinalcombinedve20210816.pdf (ox.ac.uk)

(summarised here: COVID vaccines protect against Delta, but their effectiveness wanes (nature.com))

Which is the one I was talking about and looks into the efficacy against a high viral load, for Pfizer it is at 78% after 90 days (61% for Chadox1)

This isn't really reaching your conclusion (a lot of people are reaching for results from viral load studies at the moment), the antibody drop off will be expected but T-Cell response will remain effective into the future, both reduce the chances of transmission and are how we reach herd immunity. If you have an underlying condition and Delta is still circulating, then you'd want to be really sure that those around you are vaccinated (even if 6 months from vaccination date).

edit: you can post links by removing the https or adding spaces to the URL.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ohnohedidnt

Yes that's the study. You're talking about personal protection, T-Cells, antibodies, etc, but they affect immune response (personal protection), which is not what I'm talking about. The issue I have is that unvaccinated people are being targeted because they spread the virus. The point I'm making is that the vaccinated are also spreaders, if the viral load is high, the individual is likely to be a spreader, and I'm saying that the likelihood, is that after 6 months the vaccinated are only about half as likely as an unvaccinated person to be a spreader (have high viral load infection) based on the decline in vaccine efficacy. When you consider the freedom of movement and additional socialization that vaccinated people now have, the likelihood of them being spreaders increases even further.

The vaccine works extremely well at protecting individuals from serious/fatal outcomes. It's only moderately successful at preventing people from spreading the virus, and that can a dangerous thing, especially in terms of fostering mutation. But since the main benefit of the vaccine is personal protection, and not protecting the rest of society, then it should be a personal choice, and people should move on from this irrational fear of unvaccinated people.

Sorry to repeat the point, but vaccinated people are both less likely to be infected and have a high viral load for a reduced amount of time, even as antibodies wane (remembering that a vaccinated person will generate antibodies in response to COVID much faster than an unvaccinated person), this still has a significant impact on reducing transmission.

I'm not sure how it has happened that people think vaccines don't reduce transmission, but they do, the protection is not just personal, it's also for everyone who has to interact with you as when vaccinated you are less likely to spread it.

The data consistently supports this over and over again through multiple studies and over time as well. Reducing transmission by 50% makes a huge difference, but the vaccines are typically seeing 80%+ reduction in transmission.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

My university employer mandates that all faculty, staff, and students must provide documentation that they have been vaccinated, or they will not be allowed to enter campus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭airy fairy

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Nope. Across the pond. Reported that over 100 universities are doing the same as mine stateside. With Pfizer getting official FDA approval this week the US military will soon mandate vaccination. Many large US corporations are expected to follow too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

What about companies who use an Occupational Health service? I was referred to OH and they made me work from home until vaccinated. When I was fully vaccinated I could return to doing my job in person - which is deemed essential and never closed. So I have had to disclose my vaccine status to return to the workplace, just through the OH service.

I have been paid my salary, although missing out on some opportunities for additional payments, but if I hadn't been willing to get vaccinated then I'm not sure how this would play out. I don't think my organisation would continue to pay me to work from home where I cannot actually do my job, just other tasks they can pay a lot less for! They had been getting extremely impatient as to why I wasn't vaccinated as Citywest was so slow for my age group compared to other areas. Or would they have just allow me back unvaccinated despite their own risk assessment saying it wasn't safe? Or just terminate my employment then? Maybe, and I wonder where they would stand legally then.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Well the other story is some lad in Wuhan ate a bat.

I know what story has more credibility.

There are divisions of USA corporations operating in Ireland. If and when they mandate employee vaccination stateside, I wonder if they will attempt to extend this requirement to their Irish employees?

I hadn't heard that story. I had heard about the zootonic origin idea where a virus jumps from animals to humans. It happens quite often and there is evidence but no proof that this is what happened here. I've also heard that it could have escaped from a lab but I haven't seen any evidence for that other than people filling in gaps with whatever they like. It could be what actually happened but I'm going to lean towards the theory that fits the available evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Well China aren't exactly going to cooperate in any investigation in any event so I guess we'll never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

They need to be severely threatened with legal difficulties and severe punishment.

Oh. In that case I guess you can insert whatever theories you like then. I often think that behind every locked house door that I pass, there's a satanic orgy being carried out. I'll never know for sure which makes the likelihood of the satanic orgy to be 50/50, obviously. That means that at any given moment, half the houses in Ireland are having a satanic orgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭JDMC2

All schools are required to have a summary of key information to assist Public Health in their Public Health Risk Assessment ready to be provided on request.

this was just sent from my daughter’s school…….what is the ‘key information’ that the school must provide? Vaccination. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Conspiracy theory thread covering that here (before you try and bring this thread down):

Covid-19 likely to be man made — boards.ie - Now Ye're Talkin'

Maybe you'll surprise and make a good contribution there.

• Advertisement

They didn’t need to be threatened with anything. People just declined to provide the information, and they gave up.

Do you recommend going legal with employers for a relatively minor bit of well intentioned stupidity that can be dealt with in other less confrontational ways?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Most of the big ones have said they'll follow local rules. We are heading for 90% of over 16s vaccinated, about 73% of the total population whereas the US have states with 1 in 2 and lower not fully vaccinated. I think it's doubtful they'll try here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Mmr is distributed to children from age 4, so many children these days already have this vaccine by the time they start junior infants (up to age 6).

The medical data on the forms you submit to school aren't recorded by the school. If they were the data wouldn't be the full picture.

My children are fully vaccinated to date, although their national school wouldn't ever have seen them being vaccinated. I've never been asked to supply vaccine passports.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭notAMember

My post was an example, but to be more complete:

In Junior Infants, the following are given to children

• The 4 in 1 booster to protect against diphtheria, polio, tetanus and whooping cough (pertussis); and
    • a second dose of the MMR vaccine to protect against measles, mumps and rubella

In first year secondary school the following are given to children

• a tetanus, low dose diphtheria and low dose pertussis (whooping cough) (Tdap) non live booster vaccine
    • a booster dose of the Meningococcal ACWY (MenACWY) non live vaccine. The Meningococcal ACWY (MenACWY) booster vaccine is given to protect teenagers up to and including early adulthood from life-threatening meningococcal group A, C, W and Y (MenACWY) infection
    • the HPV (Human Papillomavirus) non live vaccine, to protect against almost all cases of cervical cancer, 7 out of 10 vaginal and 5 out of 10 vulval cancer, 9 out of 10 HPV related anal cancers and 9 out of 10 cases of genital warts. Two doses of the vaccine are given usually given.

Heb B vaccine is required for the following employment:

• health care professionals
    • Gardaí and Rescue Service personnel
    • prison staff

In general, there is nothing new about vaccines being needed for jobs, or children receiving vaccines in school.

Extremely few I would imagine. Christian Sciences? These not being scientific but only religious.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

It scares me that people like you are out there in society.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭notAMember

You’re scared because people exist who care about protecting others from harm? You must live in terror. There are plenty of caring people with the principles to stand up for community health out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

Sounds like it was lifted straight out of Brave New World.

Advertisement