Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it hard to get into college with a PLC

Options
  • 20-08-2021 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

hello

, I am torn between repeating my leaving certificate or doing a plc in science . My main worry is that I won’t be able to get into college after doing my plc . Can anyone tell me if they found it difficult to get into college with a plc or if the course itself was hard ?

Thanks

Post edited by Boards.ie: Niamh on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,567 ✭✭✭✭looksee

In some (all?) of the PLC collages they have a direct link with third level and in some cases students can move directly from the PLC into the college. I seem to recall that there is a quota of places for PLC students. There are some provisos to this and you would want to enquire directly with the PLC as see what the story is, you may still need LC results but its worth asking about the situation.

In my opinion (which admittedly is not worth much) this is not the proper use of PLCs, but it does seem to be the case that they are filtering for higher LC results and turning into feeder colleges for third level.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

I think PLCs are underrated, some have access programmes with universities (I don't think it is an issue if they are feeder schools for universities), but PLC's and Further Education Colleges are standalone, as well as stepping stones. Some FEC's have streams that lead to degrees, e.g. Cavan with institutes of technology, and the likes of Ballyfermot and Colaiste Dhulaig have British university degree programmes)

Advertisement