Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is going on in Malahide?

Options
  • 21-08-2021 1:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭

Today I had to go to Malahide. I arrived in over the bridge entrance to the village, medium traffic. I needed to go to the back of the marina and then to the bottom of James' Terrace.

As I got closer to the church, I was aware I had to turn left down old street as the new street is pedestrianised. So I took that left, and as soon as I did, I notice a tail back of quite a few cars.

I went to reverse but there was a car already behind me. Cars were also coming from the left hand side road leading from the railway station. There was a bus stuck at the end of the street between the three restaurants. I couldn't see all the way down, but eventually passers by were trying to help guide the bus around the corner, and stop the traffic flow coming either direction at the bottom of that road.

Needless to say it was a f**king mess. One guy got out of his car livid, I've no idea what he thought he was going to do. Some people that were in the restaurant at the bottom left of the road had been able to help guide the cars at the front and the bus driver eventually got around the corner. the traffic both ways at the bottom of the road was crazy for the next while.

I eventually got into the marina and was warned about the bottleneck coming out. I thought it couldn't be equal or worse than that.

I was wrong. I left the car in the marina, walked up to James's terrace, and then sat on the green for over an hour waiting for traffic to calm. It never calmed much and I had to go, another 25-35 minutes getting out of the place. It is a mess.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭dublinbando

It's a bizarre situation were people who don't live in Malahide want the street to remain pedestrianized because it's great for their nights out but the vast majority of residents and business owners oppose the pedestrianization of the street as it is causing traffic chaos in the town & surrounding streets and has reduced accessibility to their properties and shops. There was a high court injunction lodged but rejected recently so the street will remain pedestrianized for the foreseeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,407 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

the pedestrianization was done mainly at the behest of a certain family of publicans whom hold a good deal of sway and influence in the village... have done for years...I know because we have a mutual very good friend of their family and both families have been close for decades.....

how the fûck a small yet now very busy village has one of its busiest public streets closed off to traffic because someone lifts the phone to public representatives telling them... “ hey be good for OUR business but tough for anybody else “...”ohhh ok”.... one family / business is behind the pedestrianization of a street. Mad.

if you are a courier attempting to make a delivery of a pallet or several boxes to one of the other businesses, you can put your back out, fûck you

if you are driving your elderly mother or family member with a disability to the beauty salon / hairdresser, fûck you.

if you have a medical condition and are visiting the GP, breathing issue, nerve disorder, MS, heart problem...fûck you...

fûck you, because one family/business want to take over a public street, for their use. Ireland 2021... where business trumps the greater good and the welfare of the ordinary citizens...

What if the Gardai, ambulance or fire services need to access a person / place in the street, seriously,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I didn't get notifications about replies, so only seeing these now. It is a crazy mess. I was reeling for the next few hours. Incredible that it got the green light at all, no matter who suggested it.

On paper, it is a 'nice' idea. But it isn't practical except for the food service businesses on the street. The whole village 'circuit' is manipulated by that street, the two down and one up is crazy, especially if you consider the other down is the carpark entrance to the main shopping centre in the town.

Who is/are the town planner/s? I looked up malahide after yesterday. I saw something funny that I had seen before, but it really beggars belief.

They want to put a floating platform 50 metres out into the estuary for kids to walk to school 'safely'.. 😂 - apparently that marshland is a protected conservation area too.

Anyway. I hope I don't have to go there again for a while. Infuriating getting in and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Most towns in Ireland are the same and it is a serious problem in North Dublin. One or two families dictate what happens to the area. It is about them, their family, their business and nobody else matters. People need to learn to object if they think it is unfair. Or better still groups of people need to come together to object to these ridiculous plans.

Advertisement