Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't buy in a new estate

Options

Comments

Isn't that the point?

Nobody chooses their neighbours. They can be anybody or anything

No, my point was that council estates are breeding grounds for criminals and anti social behavior and thus, people that don't want to live in them choose to purchase.

The op was specifically because people who have made the choice to avoid raising their children in such places buy in private estates and are unhappy when those private estates are then filled with unemployed criminals.

The proof is all around us. The simple stats show that council estates result in more anti social behavior and criminals.

Ballymun, ronanstown, ballyfermot. Council

Blackrock, clontarf, howth, donnybrook. Private.

Look at mixed areas and it's even more obvious. Where in swords do the majority of criminals come from? Cronin's and jugback.

Raheny? Swans nest.

Dublin 1? Sheriff street, Foley street, Sean McDermott street, champions avenue. Not the private apartments on Parnell street or the ifsc.

Dublin 2? Temple bar or pearse house?

Tallaght? Jobstown or greenhills?

It's that simple and as for the houses you have lived in, there's zero chance of you living in sheriff street or moyross is there? Your kids couldn't go to school there and your house would be burnt to the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 68,773 ✭✭✭✭L1011

KKV is not to post in this thread again.

Why would you think I couldn't live in sheriff street?

Serious prejudice there niner.

Criminals are not made by houses, they are made by society and family backgrounds and yes, prejudiced people treating them like Criminals because of where they live.

In the thousands of houses that I have been in over 23 years, I have met criminals and assholes and bad neighbours in all types of housing.

I have no sympathy for people who cry because they think some social housing tenants in their estate are causing the price of their house to go down (they are not btw, prices are going up everywhere)

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭square ball

Not all social housing is bad, not all social housing is good. It's the lack of inspections/standards for maintenance/behaviour/upkeep expected by the local authorities of the tenants that is the main cause of a lot of the issues that people have with social housing. The government should ensure subsidised housing is looked after as good as or better than private residences and that anti social behaviour is not tolerated at all. Won't happen of course but standards need to be set and met.

Massive reform is needed in how social housing is allocated and units are sourced all over the country. Shoehorning social housing into affluent estates where people have done everything right and worked hard to be able to pay mortgages of €500k+ is going to cause problems in the future.

Why would the next generation choose to educate themselves, work hard, get good jobs when they could stay home, pop out a few young lads and get a house worth €700k anyway?

I live beside a house owned by a well known housing charity, 2 parents in the household are mid to late 30's, genuinely never worked a day in their lives, the place looks like **** around it, weeds growing through paving on driveway, back garden overgrown, dog barking most of day and night in back yard, too lazy to walk the dog, guards been out to break up parties/domestic disturbances 3 times on work nights alone in the first lockdown. No respect for their home or for anyone else because everything was handed to them on a plate.

We have worked hard to educate and build careers for ourselves to afford the luxury of living somewhere away from this shite especially after paying more when buying our home in a nice area because it was a nice estate.

Plenty criminals living in private accommodation but a lot more living in social housing and to be fair concentrating scumbags in an area ruins the area and reputations of decent people living there eg : Moyross

The current model for providing social housing is not sustainable long term and is not giving any value to the taxpayer but ticking the box politically and it seems that's all that matters.

• Advertisement

Nobody is getting a house worth €700k. That little bit of hysteria was debunked within a few posts of the thread opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭square ball

I was making a point about social housing in general as opposed to this one particular estate.

My point is people are getting houses worth too much (€700k+ in the example provided) instead of housing multiple families in cheaper houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

I'm going to do something I despise others doing now...

Have you a link for that 'fact' ?

• Advertisement

I actually don't disagree with you on the point about housing multiple families in cheaper houses.

But as I understand it, what happened in the past was builders /developers where trying to mess around with the rules by offering more units in one area in lieu of others in more "exclusive" areas and it was causing an inbalance in those cheaper estates - which people didn't want either! So now its enforced across the board at 10% or whatever the minimum is.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

When they realise they live beside a load of useless scrotes,and their kids start hanging around with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭youandme13

Its better than living beside someone with your mindset and vulgar language!

You can earn up to 35k and be in social housing! A lot of people work who are in housing.

You're mindset is what's wrong with this country 😡😡

If these people wanted to live in housing estates with lots of social tenants then they would buy in Mulhuddart and pay less than 300,000 for a house.

They are buying in Cabinteely because they want to rear their families among people like themselves, eg hard working people who share the same values.

And no, not getting into arguements about nurses or teachers, everyone would welcome young nurses or teachers etc as neighbours but we all know there are huge problems with many social housing tenants, hence housing is cheap in areas with large numbers of social houses.

Snore. Same rubbish over and over again.

It really is disgusting the way people look down their nose at social housing tenants.

The sooner they make it a category for discrimination, the better.

Thats not the point.

The point is some poor devil has paid 700,000 for a house in what he or she thought was a private estate.

The estate is now 40 per cent social housing so property is now devalued overnight.If there are unsold houses in that development nobody who is taking on a mortgage will buy there, this means the council may pick up the remainder at a good price so private purchasers will be a minority.

There are thousands of apartments being built near this estate, what young working professional is going to buy them when council could buy the majority of them.

Its all a complete mess and a disincentive to young people to study for years and save for a mortgage.

Why bother when you can start your family at eighteen and council will provide you with cheap accomodation in a nice area anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭downtheroad

It was mentioned in an earlier post that the majority do not mind a social house being provided to somebody on a low income whocis getting up most mornings to go out to work.

The problem people have is a house being given to Tina-Shakira and her several children, who then moves Anto the jockey in once social services have handed over the keys, doesn't bother working a minute of her life, has never contributed a cent into the system and just takes takes takes all day long. Who in their right mind would want to live next to this, and why should someone be subjected to these neighbours who don't contribute when they themselves have worked bloody hard to save the required deposit and then meet the monthly repayments.

Lies. I grew up in social and, of the 25 houses in my estate: 16 working households, 1 disabled income, 2 pensions, 6 medical or dole.

Of those houses there were at least 8 sent kids into trades, and 6 to college degrees. (Some kids were before/after me, so I don't know their situation)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Luxemburgo

Yeah the problem isnt social housing persay - it is, like most things people have issues with, those who take from society and add nothing. Those who thanks to politicians and the media, feel they are entitled to everything.

I would like to see reform of social housing to aid those who do get up early in the morning and contribute, to take preference over people who do not.

I would also like to see social housing treated as a way to provide short term aid and housing to people in the most effective ways possible with reviews every x years. Two people in a three bedroom social house good be moved to an apartment, and the 3 bed given to a family

You are obviously living in an area where houses are cheap relative to other areas where demand keeps prices high.

Part of the attractiveness of these areas is lack of social housing.You dont have an issue with whoever lives beside you because you didnt pay much for your house.If the council buys in your estate thats value for money for the taxpayer and its not upsetting you so win, win all around.

Its a very different situation for someone who has taken out a huge mortgage never dreaming that almost half of the estate could be occupied by unemployed people, I would be physically sick if it happened to me or any of my children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

And the prize for the most ignorant post of the year goes to you, what utter nonsense. I grew up in Coolock during the 80s, I have 5 brothers, an accountant, a bricklayer, two electricians and a builder. Council estates are full of working class people and believe it or not some even become professionals, especially today when its easy to get grants for university. Some people in council estates do not work yes but to say the majority is rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

I would agree with this. There should be subsidised rentals for low income workers, basically what we call social housing now. The needs should be reassessed every 5 years or so, there are too many situations where you have a single person or couple in a 3 bed house (I know of many cases like this as I grew up in social housing myself). There are also cases where the family income increases a lot and they can afford to house themselves privately, SF TD John Brady is a good example of this, he has a council house in Bray but I think he can probably afford to pay for his own accommodation and free up a much needed home for another family.

Most people in social housing are decent but there is a very significant minority who make other peoples lives miserable with their anti social behavior. There has never really been any attempt to tackle this. For those who don't work we have the HAP system. There needs to be an incentive to work and the current system rewards having lots of kids with losers.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭.42.

Scrap Social Housing

Let the Investment funds build Estates for rent

Government rent 10% of Investment funds properties for emergency housing.

Government shouldn't be building houses.

An important point is that this minority make life miserable for other social housing tenants as well. Its these that are the problem, and there is zero political will to tackle it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Oh I know that, my family was one the ones who had exactly that experience.

That is a little bit unfair though, carers would all into that bracket, as would pensioners, disability (valid and chancers) etc.

From the CSO 20% approx. of social housing tenants were unemployed

Or maybe there is a much simpler explanation than that.

I just don't share your prejudice against social housing.

I've already posted numerous times here (and on other threads) about the houses sold to the council on my road over the last 5-10 years and the sky hasn't fallen in and house prices haven't fallen. (Nor have my insurance costs gone up, or has there been an increase in anti-social behaviour).

I've lived here for almost 25 years, mortgage is almost paid and I have enough equity to up and sell and buy elsewhere, outright if I wanted to, if things were so bad.

But there not. So I just get on with life.

I suggest others learn to do the same, because social housing is not going to go away, and the days of vast estates of social housing stuck in fields in the middle of nowhere are not coming back. Nor should they.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Developers are selling to them at cost price. The buyers of the other houses make up the difference by having to pay more for their houses.

Developers arent losing out. The buyers buying the non-social houses are the ones losing out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement