Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't buy in a new estate

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

A person shouldn't have to forfeit 20% short term gains on a PPR because of principles. You've still got to look out for yourself/your family over the interests of your neighbours. You can't expect someone to leave 70-100k on the table even if he did know who was buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I know what the solution is, but most people here won't like it.

No more social housing.

It's time for people to grow up, take responsibility for themselves, and for skangers to get what they deserve, which is nothing.

Alcoholic 20 year old mom with three kids? Take the kids away from her.

Loser who doesn't want to work? Welcome to your new home on the street.

Low income person who can't afford a home? Yeah it sucks, but spend your time studying instead of watching TV and you'll be able to increase your salary.

We've tried the bleeding heart experiment for decades and it isn't working. Time to try something new.

I wouldn't expect anyone to, no.

But then they shouldn't be against the very thing they have enabled. I would have no problem selling to the council, but then I don't have an issue with people who live in council houses.

Brilliant!

where will they go? The thousands that live in social housing now?

the streets? Would that somehow be better, thousands of people with no income, living in the streets? What do you think might happen then?

Ever been somewhere with thousands of homeless on the streets? I think any amount of social housing is better then that.

who will look after these kids, that we take from their parents? how much.will that cost? Maybe we should open up some of those orphanages we used to have. Because that would be so much better for the kids.

🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

That isn't a solution to anything. To be classed as a solution, it actually needs to solve a problem when your "solution" is just to make a problem worse.

What's going to be your new solution to the problem of all these people on the streets - invent Soylent Green?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Jmc25

I grew up in a working class area surrounded by council estates, and also rented in a former council estate (as in, some but not all houses are now privately owned) and the worst neighbour I ever had was a private owner in a private development (so bad I sold). So I understand it's not as simple as privately owned good and social housing bad.

But I also acknowledge that you've a higher chance of having a bad neighbour in a social housing situation. Saying that brings me no joy - purely on principle I'd say I'm very much pro social housing and I certainly wouldn't ever look down social housing in general.

But I'd also be kidding myself if I didn't acknowledge I'd be more worried about who might move in if the house next door to me was bought by the council than by a private owner. And that's because the chances of having undesirable neighbours is higher with social than privately owned housing.

As many people are saying here, the majority of social tenants are absolutely fine neighbours and would cause zero issues. But there's a percentage that would, and that percentage is more sizeable than that of private owners who would also cause issues.

It works just fine in Asia.

People get jobs and start being responsible.

Why are you paying for some scumbag to drink cans all day?

Not true, see my above post. I live in Asia where you're on your own. Guess what happens? People are forced to get their **** together.

Our current system is guaranteeing we have generations of losers and skangers.

Where are they in Asia then?

Ever been to the USA? That's not something I want in the streets of my city thanks.

what about the kids then? Orphanage is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Large council estates don't work. They didn't work in the 1980's when it was the main means of housing working class workers, i.e. most people worked at that time. The housing list based on priority means a different type of tenant is moving in now. Social housing could work if the council took responsibility for tenants behaving anti-socially and moved them out. There doesn't seem to be much hope of that though.

No more social housing, a three strikes law, free education, a work for the dole programme where people learn real skills.

The people who refuse to get skills/education and get a job deserve nothing.

If they are unfit parents (refuse to work) their children should be taken from them and given to one of the many decent families on the long waiting list for adoption.

Ireland has too many skangers. Why do you want to keep paying for their lifestyle? Why do you want to continue with our current failed system? Are you on the dole?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭.42.

I 100% agree. Social housing should be stopped.

Government should rent emergency housing from investment firms who would be granted permission to build their own apartment blocks or estates.

Government can take out 25 year leases on 20% of the properties and tenants will be under common private tendency rules like other renters.

Government should not own these types of properties like apartments and houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

I think buying a Bungalow or a Cottage somewhere with no neighbours around you would be a solution to avoiding issues with other tenants of any category. I recall a friend of mine years back buying a Bungalow out in Naas Kildare with the nearest neighbour a few hundred meters up the road. Nice big front and rear garden, high fences and trees all around it, Beautiful ! The loudest noise you would hear would be a cow farting.

You could buy in a housing estate with no social housing in sight and then a few short years some of the neighbours sell up and the council snatches everything up!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

How man time can different versions of the same thread come up, new houses are selling within hours of being launched along with extensive waiting lists for any that might come back on the market.

Am I on the dole?

No. What does that have to do with anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

There's kids I see every day who'd be better off in an orphanage than be in the hands of they're hosts, pure and absolute leeches who have kids to get fastracked to a house and do absolutely nothing only spawn and rear more degenerates, I think they're taking over at the rate they're going,they should not be allowed Internet or a tele until they get some sort of a job or rubbish picking , but to be fair, some of these people are not capable of working and need to be rehabed to a level of picking weeds . As for those pricks who work and live in a council house, they're not in the real world either and only work to buy shiny ****, lowered vw passats and get more tattoos, they don't mind living in a council estate because they want to be beside Ma and if they lucky Da! I've seen a few, a few lads who've picked themselves out of these hovels and said right I need to get out and away from these bad environments for me and my kids sakes, and I applaud them, they cut ties with the state dependant mantra. These people are a rarety.

Sweet Jaysus

That's some horrendous rant against people who live in council houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

The non working class people in council estates especially, I hate the cunce, the handout class, put a price on a non working class house of 5 for 20 years, it's disgusting.to be fair though its the system that's wrong and they know how to drain it, governments over the years have just thrown money at it to get the issue off the front pages . If the government was as clever at spending it as revenue collectors are at collecting money we'd be in a better place. Now I better go to work so I can fund them and their ruts.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Will_I_Regret

You'll have to tell me what job allows you to post on this site literally 24/7.

• Advertisement

A job were I work, shifts, Evey day of the year.

Days, nights, weekends, holidays.

A job were there are people working 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days of the year. Do you think I shouldn't have days off?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,773 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I cant see why one system is weighted over the other. Social Housing or private. The social model appears to be you will be housed in 3 choices, and you can turn down 3 before you might get an area you want to live in. Chances are in 2021 the houses are A rated etc energy wise. Possible simplification of the system but there it is.

Private, based on my own experience, I didnt have 3 choices to live in an area of my desire. I had to tailor my search to what the bank would give me based on my salary, of two jobs part and full time to get a mortgage. Plus wipe out all my savings on a deposit.

This meant I couldn't buy the house I wanted nor was it A rated. Again I am currently buying windows etc with no grants etc as i am working, but if i was on the dole i would get a grant for upgrades.

I will be maintaining this house and servicing the mortgage until I retire. Social tenants do not have this burden. The council wont come and fix my boiler Christmas day etc.

I can see the point of social housing, dont get me wrong people need to live and society needs to look after the least well off.

However it needs to be balanced, to get your social house etc should be awarded with no choice, it should be also come with a caveat as in you look after your own garden and the green areas of the estates. etc. litter picking grass cutting. There should be reviews every 5 years. Tenants should not have the right to buy. Any repairs are put on the monthly cost of the house which the tenant pays.

Failing that as I have paid taxes since I was 16 now in my 40s can I have a free house please and can it be A rated?? I promise I will pick the second choice, and only drink cans after 3pm!

In our woke society surely this is classed as balance?

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Madeoface

I cycled over to this block as it's near me.

It really is an imposing block of apartments, dwarfing the already occupied private houses that must have cost a pretty penny. Only in Ireland can you have private owners literally being looked down on by the free housing brigade.

It is a disastrous decision by some faceless public servant whom you can guarantee ain't living near. Fast forward ten years and the estate should be interesting. Nowhere for the kids to play for starters... there is a little valley ideal for nuisance in years to come.

10 or 20% social maybe there can be integration. Definitely not on this scale though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Just out of interest why should paying 700'000 ( or more ) , give you the right not to have social housing next to you ?

There ARE social issues - the solution isn't to dump those social issues somewhere else -

I don't think the councils are very good at running social housing but also think we need a proper social housing system -

We've kinda relied on private rental for decades and that's one of the things that's gotten us here -

I'd love to see what Ireland would have been like / could have been like If the bacon report had been implemented in full in the early 2000s !!!

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Paying 700,000 or the ability or work ethic in life that achieves you a mortgage of that size should determine the bare minimum right of living next to someone who has been through the same thing to get where you are i.e hard work.

Why should someone who hasnt contributed in society expect to be handed the 700k house for nothing.

If thats the case why bother working or training or anything to develop yourself as the incentive, clearly is in favour against hard work.

The reason the social housing is badly treated by the Councils is that attitude of everyone is equal some more than others i.e the bleeding heart brigade, dont work we woll house you etc.

I have neighbours on the RAS/ social scheme, her car is ten years newer than mine they just had 4 weeks by the sea in clare, both of them dont work and 5 kids running wild. Thats not jealousy its fact.

Really annoys me why people think i dont have the right to complain about this in Ireland today.

So yes if you are on the hook for 700k then 100% yes you should be afforded the respect of not having to live next to a complete gouger.

Anyone who thinks other wise, spend a few weeks living with them next door while paying 2500 a month mortgage while they pay nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Smouse156

I think social housing in new estates should be given based on an the following criteria list:

1) Criminal Record - any serious crimes/convictions within past decade you’re excluded. Not talking minor traffic offences here

2) Record of paying council rent - must have good history and be up to date

3) Complaints from current social housing lease

4) Current needs

I think the council only focuses on 4 but if 1, 2 &3 we’re implemented first we would create a rewards system whereby good social tenants are rewarded and moved to better Accommodation while Whacker & Sharon/ Scummy McKnackbag are automatically excluded from new social housing.

If the Knuckledraggers were cut out completely then we could easily go to 15% social in new developments. It’s what everyone is saying, the vast majority are good people and it’s the one or two bad apples that ruin it for the majority.

Finally there should be a quick eviction system if one Knuckledragger gets through the net and so he goes back down to the bottom of the list and gets moved to the worst social housing available.

This could concentrate the Knuckledraggers in a few areas yes but it would be easier for the guards then to concentrate their resources/presence.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,773 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Any further implications that social housing is free, that all tenants don't work, use of pejorative terms for tenants etc will see this thread closed. These tropes are inaccurate, worthless and done to death already.

Do not reply to this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭tastyt

Do people on here that are defending giving social housing applicants properties worth 600k actual believe the shite they are spouting ?

There is just no talking or reasoning with people who can’t grasp why people who saved and worked their arses off for years to buy a house can feel a bit hard done by if the people next door in the same house have just sat on their hole or worked half as much and have been handed the house for no deposit , no banks , much less monthly payment .

it’s not rocket science

• Advertisement

It is rocket science if your woke!

Guaranteed anyone who agrees that 600/770k or any house should be given at a reduced rate never lived or will never have to live next to one. Ever.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement