Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Care of the plant Vitis vinifera or Wine grape

Options
  • 22-08-2021 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Vitis vinifera or Wine grape

Who has Wine Grapes in the garden?

I have. And I 'd like to know about the experience of others in this field.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Northpole

What I have in my garden:

red: Muscat bleu

white: Phoenix

---------------------

And others ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭macraignil

Just have one vine from a budget supermarket plant I got years ago. It is the Merlot variety and I have got a good number of grapes off it each autumn. Here is a video clip of it flowering where I planted it at the edge of the polytunnel. I read it is important if they are to be grown under protection like this that the roots can still get cold in winter so that is what persuaded me to plant so close to the outside of the tunnel. The skins are a bit tougher than the usual eating grapes for sale in the shops but I like the flavour. I have some times still left some of them to hang on the vine over winter as bird food rather than picking them all.

Years ago I also tried to plant a Merlot grape.

It did not survive.

Now, with global warming, I might try again.

Who else has grapes in the garden?

Nobody has got a garden?

• Advertisement

Why is here never an answer?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

There isn't 'never an answer'. Usually there are loads of answers, unless the question doesn't relate to Boardsies' experience. Evidently not having grapes is more of a thing than having them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Pat_b

Been doing grapes inside and outside a polytunnel for a good few years now. Get really decent harvests inside but unfortuantly very limited success on the outdoors. I know its possible but its hardly worh it other than just having a very nice plant :D

I knew a guy in Lusk who has a orchard and vinyard that has quite a few outdoor vines he dose alright off. mostly cabernet variety

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

My father has dedicated his greenhouse to his white grapes, mainly for the grandchildren, they grow really well :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
Advertisement