Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know what type of bush this is?

Options
  • 22-08-2021 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25 Boarder1

Hi,

Can anyone identify this bush which opportunistically started growing in a flower bed about 9 years ago. I allowed it to remain as it's lavender coloured flowers were quite attractive. It has since become a containment nightmare. How extensive would it's root network be and how difficult to extract?

I've since noticed it growing in semi abandoned parts of the city (Dublin) and all along the Pigeon House Road in Dublin's Ringsend on the way down to the Power Station.

Comments

It’s a Budleia.

Butterflies love it. You can cut it back to the size you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Cut it back hard in late winter

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

As the others have said, cut it hard back - to ground level if you wish - in late winter, it will reward you with fresher leaves and better flowers. It will regrow almost to its current size in the next season. If you want to get rid altogether though the root system is modest enough and not a big problem to dig up.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Boarder1

Much obliged to all. Most informative. I'm particularly grateful for the information about the root system.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Boarder1

I am much obliged to all and am particularly grateful for the lowdown on the root system.

Boarder

• Advertisement
Advertisement