Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any advice on Dog that has twirled then bit and circling ?

• 22-08-2021 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭

I have a rescue 9 years it took her two years to calm down and relax.

She is a sheep dog cross that should not be living in the city but she is.

She would bite people but we keep her far away from other people.

When she sees a person passing she barks and twirls several times.

So the last two days one after the other she twirled and bit me on the leg first the right and then left.

I understand she is protecting her family unit from people.

But she has bit me twice in two days as she is spinning when the person passes.

The biting doesn't bother me so much per say but if she bit my mother while she walked her we have an issue.

Lately she has been going to have some food and then walking away then circling and then going back to the food.

Last week we had to go away for 5 days and we left her with someone she is very close to and loves.

In the last week she has stopped at the back door and afraid to come in the home.

Maybe this is all excitement behavior coming out in her emotions.

(Please no smart remark replies)

Post edited by roboshatner on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Considering there's a bit of a bite-risk involved, this is probably a bit beyond the scope for folks to help you safely and effectively here. You are in danger of getting bad advice that could put you and your dog at risk. I'd recommend contacting a trainer/behaviourist on www.apdt.ie the only place I recommend anyone source a dog professional from, there's so many cowboys out there.

The spinning is sometimes a coping mechanism for some dogs in situations where they feel over excitement/adrenaline/fear/etc, it's like a release of energy, similar to your dog starting to bite at you, but that's also an indication that the behaviour has escalated a little bit and your dog is finding other ways to cope. Again, this is really a loose idea of what's going on with your dog based on the small amount of info you have provided. Like I say above, I recommend you bring a professional into your home to give you a plan of action, it'll make walks much more enjoyable for both you and your dog.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Hopefully you got sorted out @roboshatner

Advertisement