Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On line banking Not on line

Options
  • 22-08-2021 6:36pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Simple question. You've made it impossible to use on line banking without a working mobile phone, so the question is very simple. When are you going to sort out the regular problems that are making it impossible to log in to the mobile application? Going through the relvant sign on and then getting a blank screen that is freezing EVERY application on the phone is NOT acceptable. I have closed everything else on the phone, then restarted the phone to ensure that there's nothing in memory to potentially cause confusion. It was working on the device, it worked 20 minutes ago, but I needed to get information from a family member to process a transaction, but that's now proving to be impossible, as it would appear that the servers have gone down at your end, and at this time of the day, there's no chance of being able to find out what's wrong, or how long it will be down. There's clearly a major software issue going on, in that I have received a supposed transaction approval, which didn't generate a tone to let me know it arrived, and it's also now timed out. I've not got to the stage of wanting to approve a transaction. I changed nothing here, and about 20 minutes later, the system has come back up again, and I have been able to process the 2 payments that needed to be dealt with. Not exactly happy that the BOI app is capable ot completely locking up the phone when things are not working correctly, the only way out was to reboot the phone a second time in order to exit the app.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Bank of Ireland: Declan

Hi, thanks for getting in touch with us here. We appreciate your feedback and we are continually working on updating our app. I'm sorry to hear this has been your experience. I would advise you to delete the app and reinstall it if you are still having these issues. If this still does not resolve the issue you can get in touch with us on 0818 200 362 or on +353 1 404 4000 if calling from abroad and our customer care team will be happy to help

Thanks

Declan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭carveone

Irish Steve: ... You've made it impossible to use on line banking without a working mobile phone,

It's also going to be impossible to do online shopping without online banking. And thus without a working smartphone. Even with a PSK (physical security key), you're requiring some form of online banking registration. And if I'm required to only deal with BOI online, why would I deal with BOI at all instead of AIB or N26.

Some comments:

• BOI has not made clear on its website or Google Play that the Bank of Ireland Mobile app requires internet access to approve card payment. Sure, this may be "obvious" but it's not stated - BOI are simply assuming that Internet access is a universal given at all times. For example, at work, my phone has no WiFi access to the internet. As some other banks use apps which emulate a PSK in software (ie: you can have an approval app that has no internet access), people may reasonably assume that your app does not require internet access.
    • Google Play comments on your app are a pretty poor reflection on its usability. If you enforce SCA with this thing, expect customer support line overload on a par with Eir.

Not that I can do anything about it, but posting on boards.ie makes me feel better 😁

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Aisling

Hi There,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here on Boards.ie.

We really appreciate your feedback and we will certainly share this on your behalf.

Thanks, Aisling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭carveone

Thanks Aisling. I realise of course that the SCA requirements are what they are and BOI has no choice but to follow. At least the PSK is an option, which is more than it is in the UK. The ideal for BOI is to avoid the kind of customer support overload that yields nothing but bad PR. I'm only saying this because I worked in customer support!!!

Advertisement