Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the longest distance you have ever cycled?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

I went up that Clermont Carn climb on my lap of Louth - came up from the Omeath side, and the descent towards the border and the R132 is one of the hairiest descents I've faced; steep and fast with a brutal surface.

Here was me thinking my 40k the other day was good - I'm only starting!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Some of the above people are simply mad or robots and can keep going for ages. 😎

40km is fine, especially for someone only starting. However, with practice, you'll find that you can go further and faster. It should also be noted that 40km on a mountain bike is a lot more difficult than 40km on a road bike. Some road bikes will be easier to take long distances than others. There are so many parameters.

The most important factor is that you are enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,418 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

For me it was the Tour of Flanders Sportive in 2019 - 232 km in total, 8hr 46min moving time and 10hr 36min elapsed time. I was very much sick of cheap, mass-produced stroopwafels by the end of it (there wasn't a lot of variety at the food stops).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Bombaby1974

When I was around 19/20 I did the Wicklow 200 with little or no build up.

On a mountain bike.

I did have slicks fitted but still....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

First time I did the WW200 was on a hybrid with front suspension in terrible weather, brother in-law and another friend did it on 26" hard tails the same day. Longest distance for me was Dublin - Dunmore East taking a scenic route of about 240k on the coast, damn sight easier than a hilly 200.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I was the total opposite at LBL - I discovered I could fuel entirely on (cheap mass-produced) sugary snacks without any gastro issues! Still buy them as bike fuel in Lidl!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Steoller

about 200km Maynooth to Galway. Haven't tried anything longer, yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

225km a few weeks ago, West Cork to Killarney the scenic way and back via the county bounds. Slow and steady to see how i'd manage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Lidl jelly babies and Tesco pastilles are my go to energy boost on the long days

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

WW200.

This thread could do with an age and bmi or weight modifier, seeing as the bike type has already sneaked in. I was about 50, weighing about 95kg.

Perhaps after the weekend there'll be a new audax contributer or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 billo516

I did the wicklow 200 three times back in the day. I never made it to the top of slieve maan I am ashamed to say but i put it down to too few gears, but anyway i enjoyed the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Road bike would be the Wicklow 200 at 205km.

Mountain bike would be 160km over 12 hours with a midnight start (have done longer as 24 pairs but you get lots of rests tbf).

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭grouchyman

205 kms at the end of July. Took my time and felt good at the end. Might try longer next year.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

267k.

Dublin-Ballina(Mayo).....when I was younger.

And back two days later. Bank Holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭De Bhál

230km

Cycled down to and completed the 2019 Wicklow 200. Got a lift back thankfully as it was spilling rain.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Only ever managed 100km on the bike, but I've managed 160km while running so I'm ok with the bike distance.

Advertisement