If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OLED Decision - LG C1 vs Sony A80J (A84J)

Options
  • 23-08-2021 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭

Morning guys, hope ye're all keeping well.

Firstly, this is just a brain pick for yourselves. Unfortunately I'll not be purchasing from ye as I've store credit from Curry's that needs using.

I'm looking at the 65" variant of both the above. In an ideal world, I'd be buying the A90J. But I can't justify the €1000+ price difference between that and the two in the thread title. Unless you guys think it's worth the cash! 😉

Anyways, I'm looking on forums for a non-biased opinion on the above sets, but there are so many fanboys around, that's near-on impossible.

I'm assuming you've seen both the above in action? If so, which would you recommend?

It'll be "normal" use mainly, ie. Sky, Netflix, nVidia Shield, etc. No gaming as of yet, but I may buy a Series X at some stage. Lack of 2.1 ports isn't an issue as everything is routed through my Denon.

So regarding SDR/HDR picture quality, upscaling, sports, audio, etc., which would you choose?

I'm trading up from an LG C6, so either will be a decent improvement I'd imagine.

Thanks for your time.

Post edited by Soarer on

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Thanks for the post Soarer.

The A84J isn;t a model we stock so I'm not too sure of the specifications. The new Sonys are great though - they have a fantastic picture quality, a great Android smart hub and support HDMI 2.1 with up to 120Hz for gaming.

The OLED65CX5 was one of the best OLEDs on the market but I think the Sony would be the better buy at the moment!

Let me know what you think!

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

Thanks Dave.

The A84 is pretty much the same as the A80, but I think it has something extra added to vivid mode. Nobody uses that anyway!

Edging towards the Sony if I'm honest. I do like the design of the LGs, but I think for actual tv use, the Sony is better.

• Company Representative Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

They are great TVs Soarer! You can;t go wrong with either but I think the Sonys edge them this year!

Kind regards

David

• Company Representative Posts: 17,276 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi Ggmat799.

Thanks for the input.

The image on the Sony is still excellent regardless.

Glossy screens produce richer images by offering more contrast and colour. When there are other sources of light in the room however, reflections on a glossy screen are better defined and more noticeable.

The Sony A80 will handle reflections better in bright lit rooms. The screen is not a Matt screen just less Glossy to other OLED's. Matt screen are commonly used in normal LED screens.

Sony must just use a different type of reflecting coating.

Post edited by The Ritz on

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment

@ggmat799 , @LasersGoPewPew ,

Please take a moment to read the Charter, queries here are for Richersounds to answer, your advice/opinion/input is not appropriate on other Boardies queries. Also, this thread has been inactive for months, resurrecting threads in this way is unwelcome.

Thread closed.

Ritz.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.