Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

People with face and neck tattoos

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

I hate tats with a passion, and a little extra passion for those on face and neck. A very nice young lady friend of my sons came over yesterday and she had one on the nape. Nothing to do with the person in most cases, but tattoos are plain repulsive to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Mr Burny

Sign of deviancy or mental derangement. Such people aren’t to be trusted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Sesame

I agree with the idea that in a subconscious level they are trying to make themselves unemployable. It's not easy for me to understand why people get tattoos in the first place. I haven't heard a convincing argument for them and haven't wanted one myself. I suspect tattoos and face tattoos may be linked to low self esteem.

" l'm unemployable without needing to demonstrate or try a job as no one will employ me in the first place."

Replace job with relationship, any kind of success, etc.

It's self preservation to cover up a lack of self belief. And in a permanent manner. Facial piercing do the same and as a less permanent fixture but for the same reasons as on a subcious level a teenager goes through a phase of thinking they are not valued and being themselves isn't enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 912 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

I don’t mind tattoos in a general sense but those new neck sleeve ones are fvcking ridiculous, I can’t take anyone seriously who has one of them. Just want to scrub the **** down with wire wool and domestos.

I’m looking forward to the day when a decent percentage of the population gets the white of their eyeballs blackened. Looks smart. It’s just a matter of time before it gets normalized until someone comes up with another clever way to stick out from the crowd. Nowadays, every little sweet sixteen and her brother wants to look like a biker or a pirate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I know a woman in the health care sector who's quite heavily tattooed, but not where they are visible when she's in her uniform. At the weekends it's different. Personally I'm not really into them but it would affect how attractive I found them wouldn't affect my opinion of someone who had tattoos visible.

Post edited by cj maxx on

I noticed that loads of cops in England have neck tattoos. Lots of sleeves going on, too.

Seems a bit disingenuous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭growleaves

I don't like it. I have a conservative streak. My advice is don't get it done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

It just shouts 'Scumbag'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

People keep talking about them making you unemployable. its simply not true. In some sectors for sure at the moment anyway but there's loads of areas where it doesn't matter at all. As I sit here thinking of all the people I personally know that are heavily tattooed, I can't think of 1 that's unemployed. Not everyone is the same, not everyone thinks the same, not everyone wants the same careers and jobs. Il list some jobs as an example where people would have no issues with employment and tattoos.

Tattoo & Piercing studios (Obvious), Hairdressers & Barbers, Beauty Industry, Artists, Designers, Musicians, Chefs, Trades such as builders, plumbers, electricians etc.

1 of the main guys in Nasa is covered in tattoos. As for why people do it, its something you'll probably never understand because you clearly think in a different way. We all do. You're not wrong to not want them yourself, just as people who do want them are not wrong, its just a personal preference that harms nobody else and the bigger issue is people being judgemental of how others look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Post Malone looks stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Markcheese

And that's your opinion and his choice -

I don't even know who he is - but I doubt if it's affected his lifestyle negatively - in fact probably positively - it's a statement ..

How his tats will look in a few years - well that's another thing -

Tattoos always usually meant something in the past - like tribal tattoos in polenesia - criminal tattoos -bikers or even naval/ sailors tattoos -

They werent just symbols of inclusion but also of exclusu

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

I don't care what people do to themselves. Tattoo wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Anyone ever notice a lot of older hardchaws, fellas in their late 50s/60s with a single dot tattooed on their cheek? Presumably saying they'd been in jail or whatnot but there must have been a shortage of competent tattoo artists in Ireland of the 70s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Yep have noticed those. And sometimes crude crosses/words on their hands/fingers.

presumably some sort of meaning in the criminal world

Post edited by Beechwoodspark on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

The. tattoo dot on the face is a Borstal dot , means as you say , the individual had a custodial sentence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭RulesOfNature

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

You can see it on this guy, by his left eye. You see a lot of down and outs/street drinkers with the face dot tattoo. I don't think this fella was homeless but he has that kind of look of the fellas youd usually see with it.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/killer-who-confessed-left-right-and-centre-has-conviction-for-murdering-woman-30-years-earlier-upheld-36823626.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Odelay

Don’t like them at all. Seeing young sans going around in the summer stamped like an old post office book.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The trend could just as easily go the other way too. That's the nature of fashion. At one time tats(and bolts through the knob etc) were a thing among the crowned heads of Europe and other "great and good". Not today. Whatever about piercings that can for the most part be removed*, or smaller tattoos in hard to see places, going full sleeve or whatever is very much of the now. It would be akin to permanently sticking bell bottoms to your legs in the 1970's. That's the bugger with tattoos. Permanence. OK you can go the laser route but that's pricey, longwinded and not exactly comfortable. Lower back "tramp stamps" were all the rage in the 90's and early noughties, but these days it's mostly middle aged women who've returned to their native spawning grounds of leafy suburbia who sport them but rarely expose them.

*two exes of mine had a few piercings. They both had their punk teenage period with nose and eyebrow studs and enough metal in their ears to make avoiding strong magnets a worthy consideration. By their twenties the spiky hair was gone, but the piercings remained. By their thirties only a couple of ear rings remained. Naturally their tastes changed. That's hard to do with a viking war hammer on your left cheek. Arse cheek, fine, face cheek, not so much.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

He's a famous singer/rapper so all bets are off. Googled him there and noticed he was wearing nigh on a hundred grands worth of Patek Phillippe wristwatch* so not short of a bob. If you're rich and famous you can quite safely go around with stuffed or indeed live parrot nailed to your head. Rich protects you. Same bloke trying to get a clerical job in cubicle land? Game over. Maybe in the odder ends of IT and he, or she is bloody good.

*iced out as tacky rapsters will with non standard diamonds, so knock off tens of thousands for that horror, unless you can find another eejit who thinks diamonds are a) worth that much and b) that they should be sported by men in such a way.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I don't have even one tattoo and dont ever plan on getting any but I honestly wouldnt judge someone for having a neck or face tattoo unless they were nazi symbols, a canabis leaf, fcuk the police, I love sinn fein etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Cant stand facial piercings, not for any cultural or moral reasons mind, the thought of them just makes me nauseous for some reason like a phobia or something.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

I think I’ll open a tattoo parlo(u)r and advertise a “daily special” where the tattoo artist decides what goes on your neck and face. I’ll have a little bit of fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

Live and let live, how exactly does it effect others.

Advertisement