Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance for daughter

• 22-08-2021 5:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,558 ✭✭✭

Our daughter’s just about to start taking driving lessons, she’ll be 18 next month.

What’s the best thing to do about insurance? Do we look for her own policy or do we stick her onto one of our policies as a named driver?

Post edited by Henry Ford III on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

named driver other wise you will need a mortgage to get her insured by herself at that age and experience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,146 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Her own policy would likely be €2.5k plus that is if you can actually find an insurer to cover her.

If she takes driving lessons with Aviva and one of you is insured with them they will cover her too, not sure how that outlay would compare with doing it all seperately...

https://www.aviva.ie/lessons/driving-school/accompanied-driver-cover/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,558 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

That would be very tempting. If I met the criteria. Wonder why other insurers don’t do the same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,146 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Aviva have their own driving school business so one division supplementing another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

Boxymo for my 18 year old with no experience or bonus, with her first permit is about 1700 euro comp. That is on her own car - a 1l corsa with zero experience.

This will include a box monitoring her driving and 8000 km a year. Perfectly reasonable for a learner, learning with a qualified driver next to them. While sold by boxymo, it is actually AIG. AIG sell the same policy for several hundred euro more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Before everyone thinks a quote for €2500 is outrageous, I paid £2152 back in 1986 for my first insurance.

A 3 bed semi in birchfield in Taney, d14 cost £34,950.

Look for the best combination deal. If necessary, move insurance yourself. (You get a pro rata refund)

But thankfully it's way way cheaper than it used to be.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Moving this thread to the insurance forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,558 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,638 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I'm in the same boat, my 17 year old daughter has just got her provisional license and I bought her a car. She's not driving it yet

My own insurance broker came up with a quote with one of the big insurers for €1890, for my wife to be the main insured on the car, with my daughter and myself being named drivers on it. This would only be about €100 less if she had passed her test. Didn't think that was a great quote. And they couldn't get a quote at all for my daughter to get insurance in her own name.

So now we are waiting / shopping around more. Not in any hurry, but I'm following this with interest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Jumping in, in the same boat here, 18 Yr old getting her learner permit and hoping to learn in my car.

Was with a aviva a few years ago, and my son did the aviva school. Was a decent deal with the cover included with the lesson, even if he found the lessons meh enough.

Called my insurer FBD for a quote to add her, was quoted 170 e for the rest of this year, or about 80 per month extra! About a grand to add her as a learner, which is a huge price given that she will be accompanied (by law) at all times, and will be driving very few miles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭zg3409

Rest of the year often comes with no discounts basically rip off pricing. If you shopped around for a full year quote cost may be very different.

Advertisement