Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need to add housing to an LED driver for lighting above the bathroom mirror?

Options
  • 24-08-2021 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm installing a LED light above the bathroom mirror, about 2 metres from the ground.

I'm wondering should I mount the LED driver in a box? From the label, I ca see that the operational ambient temperature is from 45 to 80 Celsius. There is also a symbol that indicates that it is an "Independent electronic transformer: it can be installed separately outside a lighting fixture without an additional housing."

However, I feel that I should use a box- both to protect it from water vapour and to look better when mounted on the wall.

Will it be safe and within regulations if I mount the LED driver inside a box and fix it to the wall above the mirror?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

It’ll look crap

check the possibility of locating the driver in the attic

only a rec is permitted to do electrical work in bathrooms

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

This process starts by determining what zone this unit would be installed in. See figures 701.3 and 701.4 in IS10101

Only then will it be possible to determine what IP rating is needed and what other requirements there are.

Installing a device such as this in a bathroom regardless of the rules allow is not something that I would advise or do.

As above I would rather it is installed this outside the bathroom. It would look terrible.

Post edited by 2011 on

Advertisement