Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blindboy cancels himself.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,137 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Three things.

One woke isn't a thing it's a word you've bought into to reflect people of any cred methodology or ideology you don't like. It makes it easy for you to throw people into the bucket and then think it's a slur at them.

Two I don't fit into any bucket I've quite a wide range of opinions actually. I'm sure we will cross paths again various times on items it is a forum after all.

Three, read the thread if you can't see personal vitriol and nastyness with abandon then you obviously haven't grasped the English language in full.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

You are making no sense. I have no issue leaning into what you perceive as nastiness as what you think is nasty is simply an opinion that you don't like.

You are equally nasty to people who don't agree with you or your beliefs.

You think that criticism of Blindboy is nasty. I don't. I think it's valid, especially the criticism on this thread. You feel the best way to combat the nastiness is to come on and CHOOSE to be condescending.

My side is a cess-pit apparently. Yours is just "reasonable responses" to people and opinions you don't like.

Enjoy your double standard. I'm sure you think it's amazing.

as for what you win?

This thread was going along nicely - some decent potshots being taken at one of Ireland’s most pompous and self-regarding individuals.

Now it’s just a load of lads in their 30’s and 40’s going on about woke. Hugely tedious stuff.

There are sides ?

Lol. If you've boiled life down to that then I'm sorry can't help you.

You've probably bought into the term woke too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,634 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I must have missed the part where his podcast became compulsory listening and we all lost the ability to not listen to it.

A lot of the people here throwing slurs at him must spend an inordinate amount of time listening to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Couldn't really give a shite either way to be honest but that statement from Blindboy is disingenuous when he claims he wasn't aware that spastic was used as a slur against people with disabilities.

Just look at the video. That 'Spastic Hawk' in question is clearly drawn as a bird with cerebral palsy.

Like I say, I don't care either way really but if you're going to pivot in your career from someone who pretends to be an edgy working-class Limerick boyo to someone who's going to try and take on the mantle of Ireland's mental well-being spokesman, be honest and own up to your past.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFdK_TBrBGs

Fair commentary. Pretending not to understand a term is an untruth.

I thought you were leaving?

Anyway back on topic.

I doubt this gobshite will suffer the same scrutiny for his past "indiscretions" as other would have if they weren't riding the righteous train.

It's bizarre but not surprising

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,265 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I can handle almost anything as long as there's honesty.

My problem with woke is it is entirely dishonest. If the woke people were actually decent people who genuinely care, then it would just be a minor annoyance, but woke people are usually the absolute worst people in our society. To reiterate, the problem isn't even that they are terrible people, it's that they pretend you're the terrible person and they're the good one.

You are a classic example of this, coming into this thread with vicious attacks, accusing people of being nasty creatures, and that you're somehow the good one... yet you're the person being horrible to people.

I've seen your posts here for years. Are you aware how horrible you are to people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

He's a tosser but not as big a tosser as that Tadhg Hickey who does the Twitter sketches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I was gonna say hang on a min..back in my younger days we called all our mates and non-mates spastics...it just became a saying...then I realized I'm in my late 40s jesus christ and this was actually back in the 80's and 90's so there's no way he wouldn't have known the reference.

There's no such thing as woke buddy , Just people you see as being different to you .

I'd don't really care how many reregs you've gone through. I pointed to the thread as being nasty toxic and full of vitriol and it seems you internalised that as being you personally. What does this tell you ? It tell me that you think you've contributed to the nasty Ness and signed on this morning to defend your stance .

Are you aware how vitriolic this thread is ? Do you care? Why are you coming at me personally like this thread has the blind boy lad. What do you expect to gain.

Assuming you read the post you're responding to...

I shouldn't be talking to you as we're not peers and it's pointless as you won't understand and don't want to learn anything, but there is a difference between attacking a celebrity for lying to the public and you insulting people here for having a different opinion than you.

This is really basic stuff, so of course you can't grasp it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I used the word " spa " in secondary school, hadn't a clue what it meant, that was early nineties mind you

I actually think Blindboy is right about feminism, women's rights are good things for men but what bothers me is his massive dishonesty about his own upbringing. I posted this elsewhere but it sums it up for me - He went to one of the best, free, secondary schools in Ireland. He grew up about half a mile from it in a pretty middle-class area. By any metric he is a child of extraordinary privilege, even within Ireland. In world terms, most people could never afford what he was given for free by the accident of his birth.

Basically more or less anything he says about his upbringing is untrue, which is fine to a degree, but then he gets ridiculous about identifying with rappers from Compton because they reflected the type of life he knew in Limerick. I mean, that's such a bizarre take, in no way at all does growing up in middle-class Limerick compare or reflect to life growing up in gang controlled parts of LA.

He's just another middle-class bellend tbh. (as to be fair, am I, and I'd say 90% of the posters on this thread)

There's actually really no difference tbh. If you are comfortable being mean nasty and vitriolic to someone one in the public eye then you should be the same level of comfort with your next door neighbor.

You might find tempering how you view personal injustices to yourself may change your interactions with public figures and then your peers.

May I note again. I made a general comment about the thread and you've took it personally on board and are now making it between me and you. That's fine I can talk to you on a peer level because you are a person. I don't stick some mask over your head and label you woke because it's suits me to dehumanise you.

May we meet again without the baggage. X

• Advertisement

No thanks.

I added you to my ignore list on the previous iteration of boards, but they've removed that functionality now (it does nothing) so this website is pretty much unusable now. Not sure how long I'm willing to tolerate seeing posts from people like you.

No difference?

Discussing a public figure and calling him a hypocritical liar and a bellend because of his public statement (which you yourself labelled a lie) which exposes himself as just that.

Coming online onto a thread about the above and choosing to be condescending and "nasty" to others because you disagree with them.

No difference?

Says it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,634 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I still use the word regularly, and typically when im talking to my GF.

you should go to the spa, and did you have a good time at the spa?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Get Real

Enjoyed the Rubberbandits in the day. Personally I think their songs are quite smart, and satirical.

I think though the thread was created as Blindboy claimed he didn't know what the word meant. That's bollocks.

He knew what spastic meant, he associated with the words "physically retarded" in an interview.

But, the context of the song, was how the hawks don't accept this particular hawk because he is different. Which I thought was the message of the song, and relates to our society.

But don't come out and say you didn't know.

He knew. It's not some new, edgy realisation all of a sudden. It's not that long ago. It's something he knew, and we knew as a society was a controversial title.

Imo its equivalent to my mate coming along and saying "glad I quit smoking, didn't realise ten years ago it caused cancer" and everyone going "wow, he really says it like it is". I mean..duh. Its not as if we were in the dark ages ten years ago.

Link: https://www.hendicottwriting.com/music/interview-rubberbandits/

(also not saying his story is true or not, just pointing out, he explained spastic hawk by referring to a physically retarded hawk. Now claims he didn't know what it meant) 

+1

It's the dishonesty to save his newfound reputation as some left wing messiah that irks me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

This weird obsession with 'left wing' 'right wing' angles is getting worse on here.

People banging on about Donald Trump and Nigel Farage and then seemingly taking glee from the fact that someone they view as being on the 'other side' is talking shite. Ten minutes later they'll be whinging on about some supposed cancel culture.

Can't a lad with a plastic bag on his head just be a bit of a gobshite?

For the record Spastic Hawk is still a bit of a banger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,736 ✭✭✭Cartman78

As the old saying goes...."Never trust a man with a plastic bag over his head"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I sat on a flight the other day next to a young girl and she was listening to his podcast.

God help us if the next gen are looking up to this fool ...

I'm a bit of an eejit for subscribing to the left/right bullshit. It's just shorthand at this stage due to being constantly labelled "far-right" by some twats on here.

I do agree though, its reductive and doesn't lend itself to conversation. I cheerily retract calling Blindboy a left wing messiah. It'd be more accurate to call him a messiah to absolute gobshites.

And I also agree, some of the RubberBandit songs were quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Aren't we lucky that someone as virtuous as you is willing to lower yourself into the "cesspool" and "nasty, toxic" and "full of vitriol" thread to educate us. And to tell us that there is no such thing as woke. Aren't we so blessed, teach us more, oh wise one??

Blindboy is a massive bellend. The sooner he disappears back to wherever him and his plastic bag came from, the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I find his guests good sometimes, but I generally find his schtick turns me off. Last one I listened to had 15 minutes of waffle before he got to the point.

But is it ok for someone who claims to be a feminist use the word "cúnt" all the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,926 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Your comments are the nastiest ones here. It reflects very badly on you.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

If I was a public figure and saw this level of vitriol towards me here I'd take it as a massive compliment.

When the usual crowd around here get this angry towards someone, it generally means they're doing something right.

Lol. Brilliant.

"When the people I don't like don't like something, that must mean its good"

Good little hive mind you have going on there.

Some nasty rumours going around parts of Cork now that this fella isn't even blind. If true, he has played us all for fools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,387 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I knew Kim Jong Un was a good lad alright when everyone here was having a go at him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Doesn't he refer to women as bitches here:

I suppose he didn't know it was a misogynistic slur then either. Or maybe he'll claim he was talking about dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I guess if he's reinventing himself, he probably has a lot of things like this he should feel he needs to apologise for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

Im so delighted. I saw this thread and thought "lawks it'll be full of woke praise of BB, what a great guy", how wrong I was.

I never really liked Rubber Bandits or the music and have just generally avoided BB, not purposefully, I just didn't care either way.

Until.....I LOVE the Adam Buxton podcast and BB was a guest. Holy feck what a gobshite. Over intellectualising, up his own hole, wannabe. Listened to a bit more of him to make sure and yep, woke idiot full of shite. That he claims he didnt know what spastic meant and was specific to Limerick is just insultingly stupid. Absolute dope.

• Advertisement

considering the theme tune to the london paralympics was Spasticus Autisticus by Ian Drury this reflects poorly on BB, Ian drury defended that song up to his death!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

To be honest I haven't looked at any threads to do with him, I'm talking more about when a vaguely progressive person says something, this place is filled with reactionary and vitriolic stuff from auld lads who don't like their world views being challenged.

my favourite BB podcast was Limmy, he didn't let BB speak at all!

Vaguely progressive? What world views does he challenge?

Blindboy, a man from limerick who wears a **** plastic bag on his face, sang about spastics, then said he didn't knew what it meant. Loads of "auld lads" get on to say how much of a prick he is and how he is devoid of morals and would promote any opinion once it furthered his career.

Then we have a handful of his devotees come on and defend him because they love to be seen as "progressive" despite acknowledging that his excuse was a lie.

I did not know Limmy was on one. Might give that a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭bewareofthedog

As someone said a lot of these woke types when the curtain is pulled turn out to be nasty dishonest people, far worse than those they try to lecture on what's morally right and wrong.

It's no surprise to me why this happens, they see a profitable opportunity that also brings with it ego and control over people and take advantage of it - human nature. I doubt they believe or take seriously 5% of the crap they write but it doesn't matter since they are protected from criticism for being on the "right side".

Those defending such people have very shallow morals themselves.

might as well had been tubridy interviewing because limmy just kept talking, he was brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

It's worth listening to,Limmy is great in it. A couple of times he called out BB when he was spouting some surreal nonsense about having an odd phobia and Limmy would pull him up on it and ask him to explain what he meant. BB tried and only managed to dig himself further into a hole, I could sense him sweating and squirming in his chair. It was glorious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,849 ✭✭✭buried

That statement he released, it's extremely similar to the type of statement's that these modern politician's get their PR departments to release when one of them is caught talking/doing out of both sides of their mouth/arse. Feigning apologies, ludicrous excuses, blaming anybody or everybody else.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Advertisement