Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kin - RTE & AMC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,751 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Did Michael kill his daughter's mother , Allison ? Bullet hole on the chimney breast in his house . Appears that might be so after his convo with the daughter outside the church . Did I miss something ?

And who is Birdy if she is not married to Frank ? Sister , mother , exwife ? She is always 'fixing' Michael's hair , collar etc .

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭FoFo1254122

this show is so cheap and so unbelievably poor pacing, acting and script. Truly stupid nonsense

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Mago was called that long before he was involved in anything.

Ah no they are Northsiders ;) This is all set in the Southside , Ringsend .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,605 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

• Advertisement

Great thanks !

Have we met dad Bren or is he dead too ?

Now all they need is another dotted line connecting Amanda and Michael and another line from them to poor James .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Parallels necessary when badly thought through comments are posted.

Hopefully the Kinsellas will run through the tedious minutiae of drug transactions in episode four.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,637 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

He was starting to panic at that stage but in practical terms those doors are usually metal, attempting to shoot off the security bar with 9mm rounds (gun appears to be either an M9 or PT92) won't get him very far. As for the chain, impractical and difficult given that it was on the outside of the door and only a small amount of it visible.

He fired four times (although I think it said later in the episode that Moore was shot 5 times) so he had plenty of bullets left.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Michael was recognised by the young lad working for Caoláin \ Eamon as he left the bar so Eamon knows exactly who the trigger man is.

That pub is actually Frank Ryan’s Bar in Queen Street, Smithfield, Dublin 7.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

The actress seems to have an actual birthmark of sorts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

So I've avoid any reviews and this thread and as much as I could my own bias.

It's not the worst drama, but I don't see it as one of the best either.

There is only so much a cast can do with the script, Aidan Gilligan at his party... by the way the same night as his grand-nephews funeral... the camera pans down to him and a young guy and they just sit their with nothing to say, the cut to the phone should have happened just a few seconds before but not to bring the audience some dialogue at that scene was pretty random, the scene was random.

Emmet J Scannon is not a great actor, and the plan was a little to simple to be believable, you'd wonder why they talked about the plan.

Charlie Cox seems to be there just to be moody. Again he and his character might have something, his interview with the doctor much like last weeks solicitor gives an impression that his story has more too it than what's been written.

And then Red Rock turns up at the very end.

Overall an okay series that is pulled through by the actors and the cinematographer.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭CaboRoig

Do you know what I find weird?

No-one in the programme smokes! Surely every second person in the programme should be a smoker if it's to resemble a real life inner city gangster family?

There wasn't one person smoking outside the pub either for the shooting scene. Very unrealistic.

I like it in general. It's simple enough, don't have to think too much watching it!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭FoFo1254122

Can anyone truly say they would be in fear of any those characters

where is the violence, drugs, drinking, smoking, child abuse.

a stupidly bland show that has not been made for Irish audiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

It’s still much better than the virgin media crap that was set in Bray. Darklands it was called and Butsy was the gang lord, he played Fudge in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,095 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Fiona Bell. who plays Eamon's ex-wife Angela Cunningham has a lot of previous tv drama experience as well as theatre work. Her tv dramas include: Taggart, Jack Taylor, Doctors, Eastenders, Casualty, City Central, Blood (Virgin Media), Acceptable Risk (RTE), Shetland, The Nest, The Eustace Brothers and Soldier Soldier. Incidentally, she met Conor Mullen (Amanda's father| in the latter and they became a couple in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,482 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

???? we can look up the cast if we want ?!? 🙄

Bland, vanilla drama, and very slow and boring...............

The funeral was dragged out longer the princess diana's !!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 6,095 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

My reasons for putting up all that info are two-fold: 1. it puts some context and background to the actors, 2. it's an anorak/nerdy thing! I am still enjoying the storyline of Kin. It's not perfect, but it still has my attention.

Di's funeral was over in less than ten mins? Them Brits know how to speed things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,482 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

You know what i mean .....

The yung lad was shot in episode 1, so we had all of episode 2 and 1/2 of ep 3 about it

It just felt too long to drag it out for.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Irony Conor Mullen in a relationship with a woman called bell! .....

Because he used to be the voice of eircom!

• Advertisement

Darklands didn't have even half the budget in fairness to it. Darklands was put forward by VMTV to the BAI for License fee funding, it was hoped that the series would get a bigger producer involved but none ever materialized leaving the series with very little in terms of funding, I imagine Virgin Media didn't give much towards that production with most of the budget coming from the license fee, which i think amounted to just €600,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭French Toast

Losing interest in Kin after last night's episode. It's not awful, neither does it offer anything new or noteworthy.

Does anyone else find the sound dreadful? Could barely make out parts of the dialogue, a lot of mumbled lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

It was disappointing it didn’t show the Noel fella getting shot. I think we can all agree, for a series about gangland, the actual shootings and killings are a major source of enjoyment to the viewer.

Also, where even did this Noel fella come out from?? Had he been in the story before or even explanation that she was gonna contact him for the hit job??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Well in fairness, if you don't know who Noel is you haven't being paying any attention to the show so far. Hardly qualifies you to be so critical of it?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

So an episode and a half then. That death is what the entire show pivots on and every action following it has consequential reactions. Over an eight episode series I don't think they've overdone it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,637 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

@French Toast I think the sound quality has been pretty good overall, what parts did you find strange?

One thing that bothered me about episode 3 was the camera effects at the start (and overall the camera work has been a strong point imo in the episodes so far). When Amanda was driving to meet Noel and collect the hit car the camera was positioned in the back seat of her car looking forward out of the car window. Only she was in focus, and everything else was intentionally blurred - did not like that shot, made me feel a twinge of motion sickness. Also when she got there and was talking to Noel, once again only the 2 of them were in focus but the background, a large glass building, was blurred completely out of focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

I'm giving up after EP2 can't even be arsed watching 3.

Dull story line, nothing new, acting is as wooden as a lumber yard

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭French Toast

In the early stages of episode 3 lastnight the two brothers had a conversation downstairs before the funeral. The dialogue there was muttered/whispered in quite low, raspy tones. Wasn't the first time I'd noticed it, had myself convinced I need a sound-bar for d'telly but a few have mentioned it on Twitter as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

I literally couldn't understand a single word out of the dead kids father on last nights episode, mumbling fool. Forget about subtitles for yanks i needed them last night

I'll stick with it but by Jesus it's very drab and tedious thus far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Thought it was my ears . He speaks without moving his mouth and his teeth almost get in the way

Advertisement