Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kin - RTE & AMC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TXPTGR1

I’m out- not absolutely terrible but not compelling either. A lot of prestige drama frowning going on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

That's because he's in jail and a very dangerous man he is too. He's Franks brother and Frank goes to visit him in jail in episode 7

Post edited by Gadgetman496 on

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Great to see. Hopefully another Ruth Negga to emerge soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Seems the Viking character is modelled on Conor McGregor. He has used some of the same words that Conor uses, swags around a bit like him, and was even doing some sort of karate/judo training in the gym before he was shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭The Silver Branch

Why is it great? Is it not positive discrimination (30-40% of the population aren't coloured)? Surely proportional, equality is best and fairest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

What difference does their colour make to the story?

None.

But should coloured actors be hired in far greater proportion, population wise, to white ones. Positive discrimination.

A bit like certain jobs where it's very difficult to progress as a male now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Its-not-lupus

You'd be surprised and the longer people think that the more effective they'll be. ✌️

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Expect she was given the main role in Love is the Drug. None of the "diverse" cast have been given any of the main roles.... and she is talented.

There is no problem with having a diverse cast but the casting also has to take into consideration the demographics of a country. The black detective seemed to be from England originally, if they had really diversity surely she would have been better to have played the role of Eamonn's former wife. There is also no problem giving a diverse actor a role over another due to their better acting skills, plenty of new Irish (for want of a better descriptor) who could have taken Emmet J Scannlon's part IMO.

This series is largely tokenistic with bit parts given to diversity hirers, I don't think that is good for diversity at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,455 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Will he be the new Fran

Its hard seeing any characters in this having the pop culture appeal some of the Love/Hate characters had

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I'm trying to understand the point of this level of effort. Genuinely perplexing?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Are you using the term 'coloured' to be deliberately racist, or are you just ignorant?

Are you having a bad day or are you generally rude and insulting?

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

It really is poor. A melodrama that would give Fair City a run for its money. It was lazily conceived and written. And even the origin story is far more interesting if people know it. Just couldn´t think outside the box.

Laughable to compare it to the Sopranos or any other crime drama. These shows will never reach those peaks as the budgets aren´t there.

People who make these lazy comparisons should read up on why the Sopranos worked. Seemingly simple yet complex shots, particularly at night because of increased budgets gave the story room.

Because of these failures, it does end up glorifying crime. there is no effort or time to question these characters and give them motivation or give the audience time to dislike them. BY the end of the Sopranos you knew these guys were lying, two faced scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Hang on...

we are about to get a racism argument that will probably be more entertaining than the first 3 episode.....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Exactly, and what's the point.. There's plenty of other things to nit pick about this show.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Bizarre. But it's the who's who of I'm a victim even if I'm not an actor . I'm here in support of unknown home grown male actor who just can't catch a break... Or something......

Anyway back to Kin..

Post edited by listermint on

Dublin demographics are 6% black or Asian according to World Population review 2021.

Of the 41 listed cast 7/8 are black, under 20% so your 30/40% a randomly invented figure. No race breakdown for crew but the directors, writers, composer are all white Irish. Crews on Irish productions tend to be indigenous unless a European co-production so possible few to no ethnic minority represenatatives. Cast and crew numbers likely to be under 10% then, possibly even under 6% given the far greater proportion of crew.

In terms of cast only if there are more than 6% black or Asian on the show then that balances out Dublin shows where there are less than 6%. And personally I don't care what the ethnic makeup is as long as the acting is good. It is fiction you realise. If we have black Macbeths and Lears then we can stretch it to a black Garda or nurse.

He doesn't want too many black actors. And he's randomly inventing figures. It's a he also, the username and pedantry ensure it.

Michael's daughter about to have a major role. And also let's see how the series develops over 2/3 seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Depends on the US figures but even if the ratings aren't high there I'm sure they'll gamble on a second season. It'll help if it does well in Europe (Amazon I'd guess as available there in North America) and the figures here will be enormous. Over 500k for the first episode, and that's before RTE Player figures kick in on catch-up.

Thus two seasons for sure and then who knows.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

re Love/Hate - Comparisons are inevitable but people are looking back with rose-tinted glasses. The first season of Love/Hate was only 4 episodes long and there is some seriously ropey bits in it. Fan favourites like Fran and Ado don't arrive until the second season. With only 4 episodes in the first season it had to move a lot faster as well, so the quick pacing was a necessity whereas Kin has the luxury of 8 episodes and obviously they're going for a slow burn. Will it pay off, I don't know. At the moment I don't think we're getting any performances in Kin that were as good as Sheehan and Negga, but I'm willing to give it time.

I do think the writers/director have made some bad decisions at times. Why bother having Jamie's parentage be questionable if you're going to kill him off? Michael wants to go straight for the sake of Anna, but willingly involves himself as a hitman within days of getting out. Do people know Frank is gay/Does it even matter? Zero mention of Bren so far, yet we have to meet him in a few episodes so even if he's a small part there is a lack of world-building here. There's also issues of scale in this where it doesn't feel like the Kinsella gang is that big. How much of the market do they control? How many dealers? We know the family and two lieutenants, but it seems they're dwarfed by the size of Eamon's operation so in a war it'll only go one direction.

I thought Frank was the boss but he seems to have absolutely no control over the actions of Jimmy, Eric or Michael. Nor is he able to defuse situations, or get people to tell him what's going on in his own org (see Nikita lying to him and zero consequences). If they wanted revenge on Caolan Moore they just needed to wait a little bit and organise it better. They're making so many bad strategic decisions that its hard to believe they're a successful crime family in the first place.

I'm going to stick with it but I wouldn't be recommending it to anyone at the moment.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I've seen a few people ask do people know if Frank is gay but Eamonn mentioned it to Michael in passing outside the church after Jamie's funeral and nothing was made of it, no reaction from Michael. For context he was offering Michael a lend of one of his properties in Marbella for a break, saying they'd look after him with somwhere to stay, girls, whatever you want, "unless you're a fagg0t like Frank?" i.e. unless you'd rather men than women but then he went on to say something along the lines of Ah I'm a live and live man. So I don't think it's a big secret at least not to everyone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,637 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Frank's sexuality seems like an open secret (if it's even a secret at all). Based on what Eamon said to Mikey outside the church after the funeral when he offered him the use of an apartment in Spain he certainly knows about Frank (and doesn't seem to approve)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,637 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Right 20%, still 3 times a reflection of the population of the area, so yes it is positive discrimination.

There's an effort on here to portray posters who point out stuff like this as racist.

As regards the racial makeup of the show it doesn't matter if they were 100% Inuit, it's fairly bland Jeffrey.

Post reported. Coloured was the correct phrase for description of race, without prejudice, during my formative years. Forgive me if I don't check the lexicon of public correctness every year.

I'm pretty sure I've done a good deal more than you with cowardly point scoring posts behind a screen. My family was active in the CRM in Detroit at the time of the race riots of 1967. To be insulted and lectured on the subject is a little hard to take.

Post edited by The Silver Branch on

Cast and crew numbers combined almost certainly below 6%. Will that satisfy you?

The ethnicity of actors is of such little importance I've no idea why you brought it up.

Surely we have other stuff to discuss on this? And internationally shown Irish crime series can only be good for future productions. Dublin Murders probably helped also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

My day is going ok actually. I'm often direct/rude when people used racist language.

Advertisement