Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kin - RTE & AMC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭The Silver Branch

It was pussyhands brought it up. People don't see the crew etc on screen. As a white actor going for a job on the series you mightn't have equal opportunity, that's as wrong as a black actor not having equal opportunity. I'm not overly concerned about it but when pointed out I had to agree. I don't particularly want to discuss it but when you post once a discussion starts.

As regards the series in general I find too many weaknesses so far. I don't know whether it will improve.

Get over yourself. Coloured wasn't considered racist until some little know it all decided what words were racist and what wasn't.

You think you're going to make the world a better place by calling someone who used the word, with no malintent, 'ignorant'? The likes of you care nothing about the real causes and effects of racism only the pedantry of language and 'seeing' to be right. You're more concerned with getting a few likes than any genuine concern re. Racism. Go join INAR and make a real positive contribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

If you were active in the CRM in the 60s, then I'd expect you'd know by this stage that 'coloured' isn't the descriptive language you should be using to describe people who are black/mixed race. It hasn't been acceptable for a long time.

Instead of reporting posts, maybe you should brush up on the 'PC' language you should be using.

It was used then. You obviously haven't even listened to any of the CRM leaders speeches.

You got offended by a word and then insulted, personally, someone you don't know. Now that's ironic. If you felt I was wrong, two wrongs don't make a right.

Not all people use an outdated word to insult. Try and broaden your mind and see the bigger picture brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Did he not say "Ah, i'm only joking" after mentioning Frank being gay?

• Advertisement

Lots of words weren't considered racist in the past, but they now are.

To be honest, you were ignorant, and you admitted as much. No need to double down and attack me over it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Yes but I took it to mean he was only joking with Michael about him (Mikey) being gay. I think I'll have to rewatch the episode 😄

And you personally insulted me. Calling a person ignorant has broader connotations than mis use of a word. You seem to be ignorant of the fact.

You could have said I think you are mis using that word but no, you personally attacked me and called me ignorant. Well Joe Frazier didn't like being called ignorant and neither do I. Especially to one who, more than likely, is only into tokenism.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Mod: move the conversation on from this whole segue about race, casting and the bickering about who said what to whom.

Stick to the show on-screen please.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,136 ✭✭✭chicorytip

I wonder who will end up being fed to the snake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,458 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Someone will kill the snake and we see another soft side of Jimmy

The whole snake thing reminded me of the Wire, and Wee-Bey's fish tanks. Maybe we'll get to see Jimmy inside, tending to some fake snakes. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

This is where I was getting confused. Either everyone in gangland knows Frank is gay and that's why there was no reaction from Michael, or it was a juvenile joke (guess?) from Eamon to see if he could get a rise from him.

I'm trying to understand whether Frank being gay will even matter or not. In The Sopranos there were serious repercussions for one character when they were outed. I would've expected it'd still be a big problem for a leading gangster to be gay even in modern Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Seeing alot of comparisons to Fair city, never watched a second of it never had the inclination to........begs the question if people reckon Fair city was shite and this is equally as bad why are those making the comment even watching them never mind going on a forum to comment .........If I don't like something enough I don't watch and I certainly don't waste my time talking about it

And the biggest giveaway is that he's a massive bell-end.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

She might, so far her acting hasn't been that great (though again she has been given little to do, much like the rest of the cast) .... I take your points in relation to demographics.

2/3 seasons.... it will be interesting to see if that happens, any word on a renewal of the show from AMC?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Where have you heard of lack of equal opportunities. Surely the producers cast who they thought was best unless you have some insider knowledge we're not privy to.

I responded to you when you invented statistics.

And like you I'm none too bothered about this, it's a distraction. Better to discuss where it's heading.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

It's a small enough operation.

Frank is the leader and then you have Jimmy, Viking and the two young lads. They nearly have as many money laundering facilities as gang members.

I can only echo the thoughts of others so far. It’s a slow burner, they haven’t really built them up as a gang and I don’t really feel anything towards the characters.

Not a hassle for Ronnie Kray in the 1960s so unlikely to be an issue in 2020s Dublin. The significance is likely to be Frank being lured to a hit or attempted hit by a lad.

• Advertisement

Trailers showing quite a lot of her talking to her Dad, hugging her Dad, etc. Her role will expand.

In term of renewal announcements I'd be guessing but I think they usually do it near the end of a series or just after it's finished. I'd be astonished if it wasn't renewed for at least one season which means I'd not expect the death of more than one (maximum two) of Eamonn, Jimmy, Amanda, Birdiy, Frank or Michael. American TV companies aren't that keen on investing in dramas for one season only.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,684 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

One thing I’ve learned from this thread is the amount of people that have watched fair city amazes me

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

Also Franks lieutenant, Dotser, who has been very quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

American companies/broadcasters axe plenty of programmes after one season. With the high profile cast it will be up to them to renew, unlikely Screen Ireland will renew without a US backer.

I am avoiding any previews of this series to avoid any bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭crazy 88

And now I know to never watch Fair City. Not that I was tempted to!

It was pretty clear to me now it's not meant to be a secret. From Eamonn calling him a f***** and the scene where Frank gets the phonecall about the shooting he seems to be on a date with a man in a busy bar. Stupid that they framed it as being a secret last week with the bj in the car, as that would have made it an interesting sub plot for the reasons you outlined above.

They're throwing a lot of useless filler in so far. Amanda's breakdown, Mikey's epilepsy, Mikey's daughter

Pretty rare to axe a significant series after one season. The Get Down being an exception. Firefly also but an unknown cast. This has two actors coming from the biggest TV series ever, the guy from Daredevil and other thespians of note. AMC will gamble on a second season even if the figures aren't there in the US this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭archfi

Almost at the halfway point.

Pacing is way too slow for me without enough strong or meaningful character development to hold much interest. I mean, who cares if whispering magician Michael has epilepsy?

Most of the acting is awful along with the stilted bland dialog.

Long moody stares, really boring dragged out scenes.

I've started it but I don't think it'll be a weekly occurence for me from now on.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

would that not be a health and safety issue? imagine if there was a fire , they'd be some carnage. places were closed down for less.

Advertisement