Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Etiquette of drafting strangers

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭C3PO

Drives me mad when people do it to me!

People can be weird at times. It's weird to ride onto someone's wheel sit there and say nothing, like how ya? I need a rest do you mind?, I haven't the legs to pass and get away from you etc etc.

Mine isn't a wheel worth sitting on not that I meet many people when I'm out anyway most will just come around me and head on their way but 99% of time I get a raised fingers or hello etc as I'm passed.

I agree. I find it bizarre behaviour. Why anyone on a solo ride would want to quietly drop onto the wheel of another solo rider is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,128 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I have no idea why you would think it was directed at you as I did not tag or reply to your post. I was speaking in general.

On your first point I have no problem with drafting someone who passes at a similar speed but I would never put the boot and head down to catch another rider which is a different situation to the OPs

Anyone who isn't expecting you to stop or isn't going to stop themselves at a red is a muppet in my books and again has nothing got to do with what is being talked about here.

Not sure what you are on about with cars to be honest. Do you mean one car drafting another or a bike drafting a car ? I have never drafted a car but often draft buses at a safe stopping distance

Don't have a clue what you mean about the competitive itch. I just don't think you need to ask permission to ride behind another bike on a road as long as you are not right up behind them at a dangerous distance

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Yeah, if it's not an agreed arrangement of some sort, it's basically tailgating, and it's violating the principle of being able to stop in the space available to you in the event of the unexpected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I wouldn't mind someone drafting me as long as they aren't right on my wheel. If they're just following behind and keeping pace that's grand. I usually up the pace a bit when someone is behind me, not on purpose I just try to keep the effort up. Likewise I'll often try keep up when someone passes but I won't be chasing them down or anything.

All my cycling is around Dublin, particularly built up areas so I'm not often around other roadies. When someone is following me or I'm behind them it's usually somewhere like Phoenix Park or the city centre and we never follow the same route for long.

You know what grinds my gears though? Other roadies going around me at a red light, I guess they see I'm a big lad and presume I'm slow. Yeah I'm not averaging 250 watts and I have to make an effort to average 30kph but Christ if you go around me then barely do 25kph come on...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,645 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

To speak specifically to the OP, it's possible (though I'm not saying it definitely was the case) that after you went past him and pulled in in front that with the same effort he stayed that close behind you. He might not have consciously made an effort to draft you, might have been wrapped up in his own thoughts as well which is why he didn't acknowledge you.

I ride a lot on a bike path/trail which has everything from 'real cyclists' to city bike tourists and sometimes a rider will over take me and just sit in front of me and in that instance, I take the draft they have created without apologising for a bit. Sometimes to overtake immediately if someone slows in front of you I think makes it look like I you are trying to make a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jonesy101

wow calm down leroy pal. youve obviously got a serious chip on your shoulder. seems no one on this cycling board can ask an honest question without getting a load of un called for abuse.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,568 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the above post seems to have ignored pretty much 90% of all other responses?

anyway, has only ever happened me once that i can remember; on a windy day, someone drafted me for about 6km on the old N2 when we were cycling into a headwind. i only copped him when i checked behind me before doing a snotrocket. he never said a word and was less than a bike length behind me for probably 12 or 13 minutes. strange.

Advertisement