Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terrible B&B experience.. ???

Options
  • 25-08-2021 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, just back from our staycation.. stayed in a B&B one night and, well - there is no easy way to word this - it was filthy. Dust on every surface.. hair all over the floors.. dirty window sills, dirty shower doors, dirty breakfast plate etc. We didn't have showers as it was so bad. We had booked for 2 nights but only stayed one. We would not have even stayed 1 night but we couldn't find anywhere else.

Spoke to the owner about it when leaving - she immediately got on the defence. She said that no one has ever complained before. I had to point out the obvious to her. She asked why we stayed 1 night if we were so unhappy - I told her we could not find anywhere else). I asked if she is really Bord Failte approved (sign at the gate says so) - she said yes. Said I was not happy to pay full - offered half - she refused - I gave her 2/3's (what she asked for in the end).

I said I would be writing a review on line - she said fine and that most of her customers are as a result of word of mouth (I found her on Discoverireland.ie).

Q - if she is Bord Failte approved, I assume she would have to meet a certain standard?

PS I checked her reviews on line before booking - some were good - some were bad.. but we could not find anywhere else so went with it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Plenty of **** holes out there. However, you read the mixed reviews and took a chance which didn't work out. Shame but that's the way it can go. Move on and forget about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,595 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Places pass some sort of test but it doesn't mean they always live up to it.

Kind of like when you visit a four star hotel and they could be elements of the experience missing.

Of course you could go to hassle of emailing Bord Failte and leave a review.

Businesses aren't that often bothered about the odd bad review tough.

If you do leave one that she can reply to tough expect the question. Why didn't you address these issues during the evening/upon arrival when they could have being fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Discoverireland.ie is operated by Failte Ireland (formerly Bord failte), so if it was on their site, its registered.

But that is simply registration. I don't think B&Bs have ratings from Failte Ireland.

I'd certainly leave a review on Tripadvisor. An honest review with 2 stars is best and include a couple of positives as these are the reviews people will take note of.

I and anyone I know ignore the one star "everything was rubbish" reviews.

a good host will take note of reviews and make changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭HerrKapitan

Tbh I don't think reviews mean much at all these days. Articles like 'this premises awesome reply to bad review goes viral' seem to be popular.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Too late now, I know, but if there's ever an issue, I will always let the business know at the time, and give them a chance to put it right. I (thankfully) never came across somewhere being dirty.

I have read reviews where people had photos to back up what they are saying also, so that's a good idea for future reference. From her point of view, it might appear that you were trying to pull a fast one by not paying in full, when you only made her aware of issues as you were about to leave.

If it was that bad, then yes, I would be bringing it to the attention of whoever they are registered with. Have a look on the relevant website(s), see if there is a mechanism for feedback, and if so, send on a factual account of the issues you encountered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭sporina

Hi folks, thanks for your replies.. however it seems that some of ye might have skimmed over the details of my post...

In any event, here's the update..

I didn't leave a review on Trip Advisor - there would be no point - as per my initial post "I said I would be writing a review on line - she said fine, that most of her customers are as a result of word of mouth"

So I got on to Failte Ireland and they are taking it very seriously.. took me an hr to write my email to them.. included 9 photos to back up the issues we encountered..

So the necessary actions are being taken..

I felt I had a responsibility to do this.. for the sake of future customers and Failte Ireland..

When I think about it I still can't believe it... like, I couldn't put my bare feet on the floor - had to sit in the bed when getting changed..

Ha ha,,, she'll be flat out scrubbing now lol - gee, has she no shame.. my gosh..

Advertisement