Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boosters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

You don’t think that there is a strong risk that you will get sick if you catch covid at a minimum?

Relatively, which is what TimeLadsPlease asked, there is a strong risk with having covid as a vaccine instead of mrna/janssen.

Post edited by SchrodingersCat on

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I'm getting my booster next Friday. I'm 48 (but with underlying conditions). My mam, 69, just got hers today.

Does anyone else find that the priority categories of 10 years a bit too broad? Could they do it in 5 year gaps instead of 10?

I would guess that its a trade off. If they have very wide age gaps they might be overwhelmed in the walk-in clinics at the start of a cohort. If they had shorter age gaps they would have to update their announcements more often to the public leading to additional confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

I don’t know if they are accepting over 70’s at these walk in clinics, you could give HSE helpline a call 1800700700 they have a link dedicated to boosters

I know of a couple in their 70’s that had the same trouble with their GP, their children rang around a few pharmacies and they are booked in to get theirs this week

Might be worth trying?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭christy c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

I asked my doctor about that and he told me that the correct passports will be ok for now

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

I have a friend who did just that a couple of weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭leck

Christy, I had my booster by appointment at MVC on Friday. There was a couple in their 70s behind me. They were walk-ins. They said their GP didn't have enough vaccine so suggested they just show up, which they did and weren't turned away. I think that site is not officially taking walk-ins until tomorrow. I can't imagine them turning away someone who is clearly over 70.

Post edited by leck on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭christy c

Thanks for the replies all

I find some of the comments up the thread a bit ridiculous. COVID-19 isn't a political party, nor is it a set of political options being taken like water charges. It's live, living, rolling pathogen that is going to do what it is going to do.

Ranting at the government because the vaccines need boosters is like ranting at the government because it rains too much. Nobody controls a virus. You cannot negotiate with it. It is not poltiical and it is extremely capable of derailing the very best laid plans and throwing all sorts of unpredictable surprises.

It's a fluid situation and we're just going to have to deal with it. If that means using boosters, it means using boosters. If it means wearing masks, so be it. All anyone can do is their best in this and roll with the punches.

I am really fed up to the back teeth of all this 'contracts' and conspiracy theorist stuff. It makes no sense and if you don't understand that, I really wonder about the future of humanity. It seems we're destined to self destruct due to rumours online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

So what makes Irish people anymore in need of masks than people in England?

You say we need to wear masks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,850 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

It's interesting, since August the UK recorded 4.2mil cases, we have recorded 255k (rough figures)

Per capita equivalent is 63 vs 51

Obviously there's a lot more difference between the UK and Ireland than just Masks.

Had my booster/additional dose on Thursday, woke up with sore arm and extremely tired yesterday. Still tired, but better today.

To be honest, the flu vaccine I got three weeks ago kicked my ass for at least a week. This 3rd dose of Pfizer was nothing in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I will be getting my booster in a few hours. I honestly thought the first two were the last of it turns out we will need boosters every 6 months.

I think as vaccines are tweaked, it will end up as an annual vaccine, like the flu vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,578 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Nothing apparently, the Uk have reintroduced a mask mandate.

Will take some enforcement, was there a month ago, 80% of people in shops not wearing

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Most people don't do vaccines at all and these vaccines were the answer for a few short months. Now, we're into a second round less than a year after. That's clearly not a problem for you but for others it is. The rationale for taking a vaccine is very wide ranging and for quite a few it is not about the health aspect. If Booster 2 is being talked about in January this is no longer a good strategy.

Now they are mandated, you asked what was the difference between English/Irish people in relation to the need to wear masks, the answer is now, nothing.

Meant in terms of covid deaths, you'd wear a mask on you're feet if NPHET " mandated " it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I find some of the comments up the thread a bit ridiculous. COVID-19 isn't a political party, nor is it a set of political options being taken like water charges. It's live, living, rolling pathogen that is going to do what it is going to do.

The comments can go either way to be fair. There's not a lot of middle ground going on. A few posts up we have two examples of it. "maybe catching covid is a better bet than a booster" Vs "a strong risk of getting sick, long covid and dying". Both positions are demonstrably daft and polarised.

As for covid and politics, there is a lot of politics going on with it and has been from the start, no conspiracy nutter stuff required either. Plagues and politics have been bedfellows throughout human history, with economics making for a threeway.

The Chinese keeping a lid on the initial outbreak, silencing warnings and those giving them. Politics.

The WHO pussyfooting around the above because they're massively underfunded and have to play nice to get any access. Politics.

The Trump muppet's reaction to it. Politics.

Contrary advice on the value of masks, until there was enough to go around and they became mandatory in certain areas. Politics.

The Brits initial nothing to see here reaction to it. Politics.

The spate of Russian doctors "falling" out of fifth floor hospital windows in the face of rising deaths. Politics.

Vaccines were pulled into politics with the EU and AZ, the Russians Sputnik vaccine has politics all over it.

There's also a lot of political stuff going on with this new "South African" variant.

Right down to today where masks are required to reduce transmission in your local shop or on the bus, but not required in pubs and clubs with the virus magically avoiding transmission until the clock strikes midnight. Politics.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I wear shoes to protect my feet, I don’t need anyone to mandate that though, it is common sense. Kinda like wearing a mask.

" common sense " is a purely subjective term , in my subjective opinion you dont appear to have much of it when it comes to covid related statements which eminate from government -NPHET

Unless you can show me reputable scientific studies that contradict theirs, I’ll continue to apply what I believe is common sense, and follow that advice.

We already have one poster who rails against pseudoscience and yet posted a study warning that it is not peer reviewed written in red on top. Maybe you can do better than the CMO/experts in infectious diseases/experts in epidemiology, the floor is yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Harryd225

With all the injections they are making us get soon enough we won't need any ''vaccine passports'' we will simply just have to lift up our sleeves and show them the track marks on our arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Quite a lot don't reflect that deeply on science and it's a mixture of personal risk perception and convenience that influences them. They are not wrong in that any more than you are in your approach.

Personally I am indifferent to what the personal consequences of those decisions are for the individual that makes them. If someone makes a decision not to wear a mask or get a vaccine, they accept the personal risk, if they get sick, tough ****, you made your bed. But when that risk is transferred to the people around them because someone, for instance, won’t wear a mask on the Dart because it impinges on their “freedom”, well that is a different matter entirely. So I disagree with you, if they want to stay home and not wear a mask, no prob, but if you are in an enclosed space with people who could be vulnerable, then don’t be a moron.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Well got the booster earlier. Hopefully I don't get sick tomorrow. There was some woman screaming and banging the dividers. She was mildly special needs.

I agree completely with you. It can be disheartening to read these ranting posters. However, to make you feel better, the posters in these threads are not representative of our society. Social networks and community websites like Boards.ie have given people with more "out there" views a place to meet like minded people. This reinforces their beliefs and leads them to form newer, more extreme ones. Its these small number of posters that make the largest number of posts. It gives them a place to be heard, get reactions off people and thus make them feel self-important.

The majority of society are not like them. They don't have the time nor the inclination to make all these posts. They are busy with their lives outside of the internet. With the vaccines, they trusted the advice of their GP's. They left the research and decision making the WHO, ECDC, NIAC, NPHET, HSE and the government. They did not think that they know better than the doctors and scientists who spent their lives working on this because they read a couple of posts on Facebook. They followed the government advice where they could, waited for their turn for the vaccine, took the vaccine that was offered to them when it was offered to them, and did the same again with the boosters. Because of this Ireland has one of the highest vaccination rates in Europe (4th) and the lowest rate of deaths (7th).

From reading the posts here, you would be forgiven for thinking that its a complete dumpster fire. Posts ranting on how bull$h*t it is that they had to wait a couple more days for the vaccine. That the government changed their advice. That they have to be inconvenienced by wearing a mask. That the government wont cater to their choice in taste of vaccine brand etc. The self-entitlement and lack of social responsibility of these lúdramáns is bewildering, considering how others in the world cant get any vaccine.

I'm not saying that there is no room here to complain, this is a democracy after all. I'm just wish that these keyboard warriors would take a minute to realise the hard work and effort that people are doing to try and resolve this massive issue, instead of $hitting on every move that they are doing to deal with this virus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Got my appointment for my booster on Thursday.

41 year old, immunosuppressed. Got my 2nd AZ injection the last week of June.

Advertisement