Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boosters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,577 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Omicrone is more infectious than previous variants, and will not be the last. Why are you so adamant that people should not maximise protection against serious illness by taking the booster? Not every person has immunity from future infection as a result of catching Covid, and future variants may be more infectious and cause more severe infection than Omicrone.

Post edited by Dav010 on

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

I just want it for travel that's why I'll be getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

Have you not heard of the Omicron variant?

In light of the Omicron variant the medical experts in the US and UK recommend people take a booster vaccine 28 days after infection

from the delta variant. The study you link pre-dates the Omicron variant but does make the point that natural immunity varies from

person to person. I'd rather take a booster now rather than wait six months while any natural protection wanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Capra

I'm finding that talking to the booster/vaccine obsessives is like talking to religious people. There's not really much logic involved, just faith. All of the evidence is pointing to Omicrom being extremely harmless. Just look at the graph re deaths in South Africa. It has been circulating for a month and the deaths are at record lows. So what is the issue with it being more infectious? Surely this is a good thing and will result in increased natural immunity to all varients unlike the vaccines.

Almost all of the evidence also points to vaccine induced immunity being extremely short lived and very limited in its protection against varients.

Getting Omicrom and the resulting natural immunity appears to be a far more rational way to go about this. There is such tunnel vision about vaccines here.

How many people here who test positive practice nasal irrigation? Some studies have shown that early intervention and effective nasal hygiene reduces your chances of being hospitalised by 29 times. How many here are supplementing with zinc or vitamin d? Both of those practises are cheap/free and proven to work. But when was the last time you heard Tony Holohon or Michael Martin mention anything about it? We keep hearing about protecting the HSE but if you test positive they don't offer you a single bit of treatment or advice until you are hospitalised. Just sit at home and wait for it to deteriorate. It's negligence and people who are focused only on vaccines are allowing them to get away with it.

• Advertisement

Yes, I have read quite a lot of studies about the Omicron varient at this stage. Have you? Have you read the open letter from the doctor in South Africa who was the first to raise awareness and notification of the Omnicrom varient?

He said the UK government and their "experts" are massively over reacting and that all of the Omnicrom patients he has seen have been "very, very mild". He knows more about it than any of the UK experts, who along with our own have consistently been prone to exaggeration and pessimism. There is endless hysteria and I actually struggle to understand how people have become so cult like in their beliefs. Almost no one here in this thread is displaying even a hint of logical thinking or rationality.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-boris-johnson-over-reacting-to-omicron-and-creating-hysteria-south-african-doctor-dr-angelique-coetzee-says-12495876

The studies showing immunity varies from person to person are actually quite limited and most show a very robust immune response from natural infection at any level. So you will ignore the studies which show you have a 90% lower chance of being hospitalised since you have already had it(and that is even with the more alpha, beta and delta varients. The omicron varient doesn't send people to hospital regardless of their vaccine/immunity status)? You will ignore the studies that show Omicron is approximately 10 times less harmful than Delta? You will ignore the reality that boosters are proving to be very very short lived, hence them already moving towards 4th boosters in Israel? Your body dealt with covid effectively and you still don't trust it despite there being stacks of evidence showing you are incredibly unlikely to get it again or even if you do, to be sick with it.

This is actual insanity. How you anyone reason with this type of thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,582 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Vaccine protection isn't "extremely short lived" or "very limited". After 6 months Pfizer 2-jab protection against severe covid is 70%. Protection against infection drops to 33%, hence the need for boosters.

It's simply too early to say that Omicron is "extremely harmless", even if it is milder than other variants, its increased transmissibility means more chance of infection, and more cases and likely more chance of re-infection.

You are making statements without foundation and accusing others of 'faith'. If you are going to counter the advice of major health authorities you need to come up with a lot more than this.

Trials are looking into home treatments, the UK has tried out steroids etc and is running trials into nasal irrigration. Vaccines are shown to be effective and provide protection against severe covid.

This is just a rehash of the Ivermectin\ hydroxychloroquine miracle cure stuff.

Nothing here to suggest we have anything more effective than vaccines right now.

What do we know about mouth and nose rinses, washes, sprays, or creams to prevent COVID-19? (health-desk.org)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Yellow_Blue

mRNA or Vector, doesn't matter. They are all pointed at boosting your antibodies. My point is : check your antibody count and do general blood count to to make sure there are no inflammatory processes running. The approach of taking booster ASAP, even if you just recovered from Covid is useless if not harmful. But obviously it is easier to get drown in online science hype instead of knowing what is going in inside your own body

I drive 3km to work, have done for 25 yrs. The chances of me being in a serious accident are very low, but I would still choose to wear a seat belt even if it wasn’t a legal requirement. Why? Added protection. The concept is easy to understand, we want to reduce risk of harm, to ourselves mostly, but in the case of Covid, to others. If you don’t want to take the vaccine, I have no problem with you getting seriously ill, but I’d prefer if you didn’t also transfer that risk to others, either directly, or indirectly by blocking beds in Hospitals.

And yes, I am happy that if you don’t have a cert I won’t have to share a room/aircraft with you.

• Advertisement

This is exactly what I'm talking about. You lads are just choosing to ignore the science which shows vaccinated people are spreading the virus as much as the unvaccinated, that the vaccine immunity is short lived and that natural immunity is longer lasting superior against mutations. The "major health authorities" have been wrong repeatedly but still you lads revere them.

Ah the seat belt analogy. Even if that were a good analogy, most people are relying on the seat elf while driving with bald tyres and in wet conditions thinking they are invincible. The vast majority of people are doing nothing to boost their immune system or take steps to minimise their viral load once they test positive.

It's a cult.

You use strong perjorative words like cult and revere because your argument has no foundation.

Vaccine protection is not short lived. Lie #1 you repeat without substantiation.

Vaccinated people do not spread the virus as much as the unvaccinated. Lie #2 you repeat without substantiation.

There is simply no question it is better to be vaccinated than infected with covid. Urging people to get omicron at this stage instead of vaccinated is dangerous nonsense.

This is what you said and you accuse other of being irrational and in a cult?

"Getting Omicrom and the resulting natural immunity appears to be a far more rational way to go about this."

There is category of people who would not even wash their hands without government telling them, so I think it's a lost cause. Vaccines are giving them sense of stability and keeping mental health stable, We can only wish their body could handle one every 3 months ok

Has anyone claimed the vaccine gives immunity from infection?

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

I have wasted hours posting studies which show vaccines are relatively short lived and that the viral load of the vaccinated is either equally high or 80% as high as the unvaccinated. Some studies have shown the vaccinated clear infection quicker, that's true but then some show that it doesn't. Being slightly less infectious for a period of 3 days instead of 5 is hardly a good reason for stripping people of their rights. If the bar is this low then we are on a very slippery slope. That is not compelling evidence at all.

Anyway, I've spent hours debating and posting evidence to lads like you and you simply won't read it. It's a cult and you are in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Jimi H

Professor Jack Lambert was on Newstalk earlier. I always find him refreshing to listen to as he talks a lot of sense. Anyway the suggestion was to have a war cabinet or similar and come up with a long term strategy on how we can live with this without the need for rolling restrictions. Our politicians have lost control. I feel there’s a lack of experience in crisis management that people who run organisations or businesses have. There are also some great people in well run public service organisations like Revenue that could surely be brought in. We need a plan and it’s sadly lacking unless we are all to stay at home indefinitely.

And it has been pointed out to you, from he start no one claimed the vaccine gave immunity from infection, nor that it was ever lasting.

Most people understand it helps the immune system to fight off the effects of the virus, that the benefits are temporary therefore like the flu shot, more jabs will be needed etc.

You post stuff most people know, you just don’t seem to understand the studies you post about, the benefits of the vaccine, and why the majority want that benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭plodder

Good analogy. I remember when seatbelts were about to be made a legal requirement, there was a lot of the same sort of spurious arguments against it, like seatbelts could impede your exit from the car in an accident. Here's a good article about the controversy in the US

https://www.history.com/news/seat-belt-laws-resistance

Seat belt analogy is more relevant to masks or self-isolation. Seatbelt is not something you insert into your body and far more effective than vaccine. There is no better protection so far than limiting your close-contact and social life. Vaccine is just somewhat useful measure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

The HSE seem to be all over the place with the booster rollout. Wrong advice getting issued to pharmacies, doctors doing their own thing based upon their discretion, chopping and changing between 5 months and 3 months.

During the initial rollout in the summer they had a crazy system when pharmacies in Dublin weren't given Pfizer when pharmacies just over the border in places like Ashbourne, Maynooth and Blessington were. Now the pharmacies in Dublin can give the thing out.

In light of the apparent free for all I've booked pharmacy appointments for my wife and I, both in our 30s. Will be interesting to see if the pharmacies honour the appointments.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭plodder

"limiting your close contacts and social life". So, lock-down then?

Not sure that seat belts are far more effective than vaccines either. But, it's interesting that people think they are ..

I think the point of the analogy is that vaccines like seat-belts are the most minor imposition on your freedom. Though, I accept they impinge on your freedom in different ways.

Well, I obviously hold different view on what is 'freedom', but my point was related to the argument of 'caring about others and society by getting vaccine' . If you care about your elders, you should just limit your parting before seeing them for Christmas and ideally get PCR. This will keep them safer than your vaccine or booster. It is not about lock-down, it is about personal choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

I'm still so unclear on whether I am eligible for a booster. The HSE say "16-49 with an underlying condition" are eligible- the list of conditions is quite vague. Boots are asking you to declare whether you are "very high risk" or "high risk" to check eligibility - unclear whether high risk is eligible there. I was cohort 7 (high risk), aged 39, am I eligible??

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Yes you are eligible if you were in cohort 7

My daughter was cohort 7 and got a text from the HSE for her booster a week ago . ( age 33 )

Unfortunately I have heard nothing from the HSE and wasn't vaccinated until my age group in August so I have no faith in them getting to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

But you are eligible if Boots are doing high risk people

Well, are they? They say check HSE eligibility criteria - it says those 18-49 with an underlying condition (vague list provided, no mention of cohorts) are eligible for vaccine. But then once booked Boots are asking what category you are in, from all possible categories including 18-49 very high risk or 18-49 high risk. Are they going to cancel the appointment for high risk? Because it's in no way clear which risk category pharmacies can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,136 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Yes. I have yet to receive the text unlike when doses one and two were being rolled out where I was notified of my appointments well in advance. I'll wait until Monday. If none arrives, it's my local walk in clinic where the average queueing time is two hours!!

• Advertisement

Keep an eye on the HSE Live Twitter... they tweet the waiting times for the walk in centres and if it's reached capacity for the day.

Advertisement