Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boosters

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Got my Moderna booster yesterday morning (had Pfizer 2 dose last year) and it is kicking my ass. Spiked a temperature during the night and my skin is sore. Hoping its gone by soon as this is awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,300 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well I had no temperature but as I said earlier where it’s sore it’s very sore which is around where I got the injection. It seems to have eased now for me but yeah didn’t have that pain from my arm the first two times.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭nialler1978

My wife got her booster two days before Christmas Day, pretty much put her out of action for the whole of Xmas. It wasn’t any kind of side effect sickness some people report but intense pain which spread throughout her back and most of her upper torso. She was bed ridden for 3 days. Again, she had no issues with the first two, just a small amount of pain around the injection area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

So it was a three day general shiteness then ?

• Advertisement

More like 5, she was in bed for 3 with back pain and was up and about after that but in a lot of discomfort. Couldn’t lift her arm. She’s firmly on the side of not getting another one after the experience.

Christ that sounds like zero craic. I can lift my arm alright it’s just very sore when I touch it off something which is why I woke up earlier because I lay on it. I can understand why she’d more than hesitant to get another one.

Can confirm the MVC's are booster vaccinating walk in j&j people under 30 today at kilanerin (between Gorey and Arklow)

Pfizer

Im sure this has been said already or some version of it, but don’t go for a three mile walk that includes hills. Jesus h Christ I’m sore now and I was feeling grand when I woke up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Are boosters affecting employment anytime soon ?

I haven't been able to get to it yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭cython

I'm reasonably sure employers can't discriminate based on vaccination status, so neither primary course nor booster should affect that.

However, with this evening's news, unless you're delayed due to recent infection, you should be able to get your booster easily now, as so far as I can see, the extension to 16+ age group is heavily driven by undersubscription among those already eligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shooter_galway

Anyone know what story is with updated covid cert after booster?

I doubt there will be any update until it’s been offered to and is readily available to absolutely everyone, it would be impossible to deny services or entry to those that haven’t had the opportunity to be boosted…so who knows when it will be updated. Few months time, at a guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭redt0m

Got a text from the HSE saying an appointment has now been arranged for a booster, then another text about 3 hours later saying that appointment was now cancelled. No other word since. This happen anyone else?

A few comments down was a post from the MM a few months ago saying the passes were only for international travel, and would not be used internally due to civil liberties issues..

Death by a thousand cuts..

We slide into tyranny slowly..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭corkie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Last time people vaccinated by gp received cert in the post - mostly the elderly at that time. I assume, having been boosted by gp also, they will again receive updated cert in post? Is there a time frame for this? My mother needs it for travel if 9 months will be the validity of original cert.

Also, I received cert by email following vaccination in Citywest last time. I received my booster from a random gp surgery (literally happened to be passing and they had a sign outside), with no vaccine card with batch number even given as proof. Should I expect the updated cert to be sent by email or post now??

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭DrSpongeBobz

I got the Pfizer booster, this is my third Pfizer injection. I thought the booster was meant to be a different version?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,810 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

No it doesnt have to be different. In theory it may be more beneficial to have a mix but many people who got pfizer originally preferred a known entity. Anecdotally moderna side effects seem to be worse (still fleeting).

Most of the boosters done at mvcs were done with moderna purely because we have a huge stock of it that needs to be used.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,827 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

We may not see an Omicron specific vaccine at all (similar to Delta) if boosters hold up and Omicron peaks and troughs quickly.

China trying to get mRNA out the door quickly due to loss of efficacy in the deactivated virus vaccine they've been using, reading between the lines, seems to be an issue trying to get a strong immune response to the whole virus versus mRNA which can specifically generate a very strong response against the spike protein, wonder if Valneva are seeing the same thing (and may explain their long delays and cancelled orders):

China rushes to develop an mRNA vaccine as doubts grow over local jabs | Financial Times (ft.com)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,125 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It could be the case that a long lasting high efficacy (against infection) vaccine is impossible, and we're left with various vaccines that all have similar long duration protection against severe disease but different short term antibody responses.

In that case periodically tweaked mRNA vaccines might retain their crown. They certainly seem to have increased in popularity with public procurers throughout the pandemic, despite more burdensome logistics.

There is a strong contrast between mRNA popularity amongst the medically qualified vs antipathy from random internet cranks. Maybe that's just contrarianism; if the government recommended the red pill those people would find a reason to advocate for the blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Seen a lot of people on Twitter already received it. Nothing here yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I got my booster at my local pharmacy yesterday. Booster was Pfizer, as was my initial vaccination back in August. My updated cert already arrived today.

Aside from that, I'm in the horrors today. Fever, chills, headache, nausea, stiffness, fatigue.... seem to have got the full bundle of non-severe side effects. Feels like as bad a hangover as I've ever had and have been in bed all day as a result. It's not nice, and certainly a step or two up from what I thought would be a mild head cold-like experience.

I won't be going near another booster unless I have no choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,261 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Got my booster yesterday. Moderna. First 2 were Pfizer.

On all three, I had nearly a day of being out of my head 'floating' feeling.

I would actually say the booster was much worse for this feeling but didn't last the full 24 hours.

Last night, I felt like I drank a whole bottle of wine and was in a stupor.

Not a nice experience.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,810 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It's strange, I had Pfizer x 3, with the side effects lessening with each dose. First one hit me like your booster impact description.

I wonder what it signifies.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,261 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I can't believe people buy illegal drugs to voluntarily feel like this! Eh, no thanks!

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭corkie

Just got my updated Cert emailed to me at 16:25, was booster-ed in City Hall, Cork on 11/12/2021 and my surname starts with 'O'.

Handy site if anyone wants to store the pass on phone.

https://covid19passbook.netlify.app/

I use : - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=io.walletpasses.android

If someone who is eligible has not received a cert by next Thursday, they will be able to get one through the government website, gov.ie.

Link

Post edited by corkie on

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Clickclickboom

Hi y'all,

I am completely lost and don't know what to do with the booster. I had my 2nd dose in August and I am strongly hesitating to have the booster now or to wait longer.

The following is indicated on the HSE website :

"An mRNA COVID-19 vaccine booster dose has been:

- recommended by the National Immunisation Advisory Committee (NIAC) in Ireland in people aged 16 and over 3 months after finishing a course of COVID-19 vaccines

-licensed by the European Medicines Agency (EMA) in people aged 18 and over 6 months after finishing a course of COVID-19 vaccine"

Hence the original advice was to wait 6 months between the 2nd dose and the booster.

Has anyone on this sub actually had the booster earlier ? I am concerned I will get the booster too "soon" after my 2nd dose and that it can be harmful to people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Whocanibe

^^^^^^

I think the time between vaccines was changed from 6months to 3mths. I was very nervous about getting a third one, but it was fine, and I got it after 3mths. Problem is mine was an extra shot, and I'm expecting to be called for a booster any day now!

I'm even more nervous about this one,it will be 4 in less than a year,and I can't decide what to do!

My head is wrecked with it all.

Advertisement