Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI passing on mobile number to 3rd parties

Options
  • 26-08-2021 8:38am

Hello,

Does anyone else have experience of this? I opened a bank account with Bank of Ireland and two days ago I set up online banking. Since then I keep on getting phone calls at least 6 a day at around 8 o clock, all the calls are very similar to my own number bar a change in the last two digits. This is my very first time receiving such calls. The calls ring a few times. Each time a different number. I phoned back immediately and the message is that this number is not available. I am convinced that BOI passed on my number as I have never received such calls or ever got a dubious text message before and there must be some reason why people recieve such suspicious fraudulent texts claiming to be from the bank.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

BOI do not sell your phone number to scammers. Everyone in the country is getting those scam calls, several threads around boards on that.

Never ever phone these numbers back. They are just masked numbers that appear to be from a local number.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Megan

Good morning,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here on Boards.ie.

I completely understand your concern with this. When you receive a scam call, these fraudsters generally use random number generators. Please be assured that Bank of Ireland would not share your mobile number with a 3rd party.

In relation to the text messages you receive under the BOI thread on your phone, it is easy for fraudsters to do this unfortunately. If they use the same sender ID of 'BOI' your phone will presume it is coming from the same source as before. They do this to make their text appear more genuine.

I hope this information was helpful and clarifies!

Thanks,

Megan

• Registered Users Posts: 12,697 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

It's hackers using a system called "spoofing" that let's them ring you with a number that looks like your own one. Where they are getting these numbers is anyone's guess. Lots of speculation that mobile numbers were released onto the dark web during the recent HSE ransomware attack. Check out a website called "Have I Been Pwned" for possible explanations

Advertisement