Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

reusing old phone galaxy J3 few questions

• 26-08-2021 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have old phone (2016 ish) and will give this to young lad starting secondary school. Sim (vodafone) was reused in a newer phone so I am assuming I could probably just use a new sim. Just worried it might be locked to vodafone as I would like to use tesco/gomo/48 etc. Just asking if we have any blindspots i am missing. I presume because of its age it will be open to any new sim

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭rightmove

My partner and I are both on vodafone so not sure if that makes a difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

The age of the phone won't affect the network lock, you'd have to request an unlock code from VF.

Seeing as you're both still with VF it shouldn't be an issue for them. I'm assuming it was bought on PAYG ?

Or you could try flashing an Eir firmware on it if all else fails.

Hi

thanks for that. Yes it was bought as PAYG. Is there a way of finding out if its locked to vodafone. My wife moved the sim to a new phone (my old phone also VF) so would that not unlock her original phone? or is it a case the phone is locked to the network rather then the sim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

The latter.

Now that you mention it, the correct term is probably "network locked" as opposed to "SIM locked".

Try a SIM from another operator in it. If you can make a call then it's not locked. I'd imagine it will be though as it's a Samsung.

If it is do try to get the unlock code from Vodafone. You may even be able to request it via My Vodafone. If not then ring them and tell them you're going abroad and want to use a local sim in it. Shouldn't be an issue but it may take a few days to get the code.

Last option would be to buy an unlock code from eBay for it.

Thanks long_b -> those suggestions are exactly what I was looking for

• Advertisement
Advertisement