Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2021 US Open

Comments

Berrettini could be a challenge IF he ups his game as I said - but not how he was playing against Otte.

But a player can change from one match to the next obviously.

Brooksby TOOK the first set - with his unorthodox style causing problems and the groundstroke depth was perfect and didn't miss (1 UE first set)

Go watch a replay if have haven't seen it.

Then a 30 minute game in the second set.

Djokovic is not a deliberate "rope-a-dope" player but he's just very hard to beat over 5 sets.

I've said before he's so lithe and wiry, carrying less weight than a bigger guy - nearly 20kg lighter than Berrettini for example - he'll drag players into a physical contest like Roddick said in his tweets and take their legs the more physical it gets over the 5 set match.

Bigger heavier guys aren't as good in marathon physical matches with long rallies the longer it goes. I think Djokovic deliberately gets into long rallies sometimes if he can to tire these guys out.

In the Olympics playing the really high heat and humidity combo (34 degrees with 70 to 80% humidity) and 7 matches in 7 days he underestimated and it drained him but those conditions aren't here in New York and he's not playing every day.

Going a set down in a 5 set match is totally different to going 1 down over 3.

Djokovic doesn't panic in that situation.

He doesn't even panic when he's two down really as he has come back to win so many times as has belief in his ability to do it.

For sure Zverev or Medved (who are tougher mentally now both) can beat him especially if they can serve well (and maybe Berrettini if he's on a career performance) but over 5 sets it's tough for them.

to beat the three of them in a row as it looking likely to be the case required (and more especially the last two) it's a very tough ask.

fitting maybe given what he's going for in history but he'd take an easier route if he got the chance for sure!

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

When RF, RN and ND are gone, they will be the last players who were brought up on 5 set tennis outside of slams. Until very recently you could see the difference with the later generation of players, but I think it will be a much more level playing field, stamina and tactic wise, when the aforementioned 3 are gone. It will interesting to see how Alacaraz' legs hold up in his next match.

FAA is favourite for sure now and the Toni Nadal effect seems to be kicking in on his consistency.

Alcaraz has been very impressive in "getting the job done" so far even when he had patches of really going off the boil in the matches.

Against Gojowczyk in the last round he played a smart game by the end as Gojowczyk started missing so Alcaraz didn't need to push the winners as much.

He was also able to adapt against Tsitsipas when he couldn't serve properly at the end.

He has a good tennis brain.

Will be interesting to see if he can do it again or at least be competitive.

His serve has to be at its best as it's still not the finished product.

Either way he's had a great break-out tournament making records for youngest ever in the 1/4 final men's along the journey and will be surely rising rapidly into the top 20 over the next year.

Would be a surprise if he didn't.

Djokovic played a grand total of 1 Masters 1000 5 set matches so I don't think that it had that much of an influence in his case.

2007 was the last year of 5 sets and only in the final of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Of course anything can happen in sport, but, realistically can you honestly see anything other than Djokovic winning it out. Personally I'd give Zverev an outside chance (that's if he makes the semi) of beating Djokovic, if it's a Djokovic v Medvedev final which is what we probably all expect it to be, I wouldn't really give Medvedev much chance, even if Medvedev somehow gets into a winning position - I don't think he will, but, let's just say he does - will he be able to close it out against Djokovic, he'd be bound to get tight towards the end trying to win his first slam, that would be all Djokovic would need to turn the match in his favour, I don't think Medvedev would be able to do the reverse.

Anything other than Djokovic winning would be a massive shock. If you think about it, while Zverev and Medvedev are both fine players are either ever really likely to be considered greats of the game.

I think that you're underestimating Medvedev

Just because he didn't turn up against Djokovic in Australia where on the day his serve deserted him doesn't mean that he can't beat Djokovic

If any top player has a bad service day they are going to struggle to win the match

His stats have been excellent here so far and he has shown that he can beat Djokovic in the head-to-head record

He's playing the best and most consistent tennis in New York so far

Same with Zverev - he can beat Djokovic, especially when serving well

Djokovic has to beat both of them most likely

But obviously it only takes one of them to have an on-day and Djokovic a bit off and poof calendar slam gone

I think if Djokovic is to fall it'll be to Zverev(he needs to get there first and have his serve firing) but, I'd still favour Djokovic. Maybe I am underestimating Medvedev, but, he hasn't really done it at GS level, outside GS yes, but, yet to do it at GS level, he's 25 now, most players that are going to win a slam already have one won at his age.

It would be interesting to see a Zverev v Medvedev final, just for the novelty alone, but, Djokovic has a once in his lifetime opportunity to do something none of his direct rivals (Federer & Nadal) couldn't and won't do. I can't see him passing up that opportunity.

you have to take current form in the tournament into the equation as well as generalisations about past GS performance

Medvedev is making the court look awful small in New York with his giant reach and his flat ball forehand is really skidding off the surface this year - it's a different proposition to a higher topspin ball for Djokovic. He's also backing himself on big-game points with confidence - going to the net when break-point down and usually winning - confident stuff.

as for this - I think that this was maybe the first time that this has ever been done on a service return

I take your point and it's very valid, of course current form has to come into it and he can only beat what's in front of him, but, so far he's had a favourable draw, he hasn't played anyone that was expected to really push him, but, he certainly hasn't played anyone close to Djokovic or even Zverev's level, the opponent has to be taken into account too.

• Advertisement

that's true but even the guy today (Zandschulp) was able to play pretty decent tennis. It's not as if he capitulated losing 11 games in a row.

Medved was playing at a high level (even though first serve in not as good as other rounds)

Zandschulp beat Schwartzman (11), who is one of the most dogged players around.

And that was following up beating the 8th seed Ruud.

Two decent scalps. He was also a form player at this tournament but was disposed of handily.

It's common enough for a guy like Zandschulp to come along and go on a run in a slam, take a seed or two out along the way and then get knocked out in the 4th round or quarters, the guy is 25 and until now not ranked inside the top 100, he may well have been playing well, but, realistically this was a gimme for Medvedev.

Ultimately Medvedev (or any other top player)won't be judged against opponents like Zandschulp, it's against other top players in matches that matter ie grand slam matches that he'll be judged on. If he does go on to win this USO I'll be the first to hold up my hand and say I got it wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Just happened to catch the end of the Svitolina and Fernandez match and that was some tense final set tiebreak which could have gone either way but leylah Fernandez pulled it out and according to the commentators it wasn’t by luck she won.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Class match between Svitolina and Fernandez there, glad the youngster got the win. Svitolina's had more than enough chances at the slams and continously flops. Plus I think Fernandez-Sabalenka/Krejcikova makes for a more interesting semi final.

it does happen occasionally yes. but they are two good results - one backed up by another.

like the girl Fernandez has backed up on the WTA side beating seeds.

good form.

I'm not saying that Medved is going to win - I'm saying that he's playing well, is playing the best tennis so far at the US Open but yes the bigger test for him is going to be the final.

I'd be surprised if he doesn't get to the final.

the only thing that I could see stopping that is Alcaraz somehow playing like he did in the first set against Tsitsipas for all of the next two matches.

Which is not really possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

The amusing thing is next time these play if its not a slam, bet your house on Svitolina winning.

She just can't get it done in slams at all.

• Advertisement

Alcaraz retires with a thigh abductor injury.

At least he didn't pull a Musetti

Amazing breakthrough and record-setting tournament though and up to 40th on ATP which should give him a platform to advance over the next year. Hopefully the injury here will heal quickly. Needs a bit of work on his serve but when fit he can be fearsome. A lot of variety to his exciting brand of tennis. Love the "squash' shots from the corners.

The way that he came out on court against Tsitsipas will live long in the memory.

FAA was looking good on serve and playing very aggressively but will be up against it vs Medved. But looks like he has really progressed this year.

First Canadian male into a GS SF (not counting British-Canandians here)

Seems like a nice girl but I'm going to say Bencic in 2 sets.

Lordy, they weren't long pouncing on her. She may as well profit from the attention she's getting right now, just as long as it's not distracting from the tennis I guess.

Will be very interesting to see how she fares against Bencic today. Raducanu's had a pretty fortunate draw so far, Bencic is a step up in class.

I think( I may be wrong) that the fact that Raducanu has played on Arthur Ashe in her last match will be a help because she’s played a game there and will take away the awe of the surroundings. And yes bencic is the Olympic champion which is a big deal as it’s a confidence booster. She can’t go down 0-2 in this game like what happened with Shelby Rodgers, because she may not got back into the set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Raducanu breaks back 3-3

• Advertisement

Bencic quite static after she hits a shot

But fair play to Raducanu taking advantage of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,460 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Takes the set,

could win next to 0 at this rate

Wow...that was some comeback from Raducanu! First set 6-3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭hamburgham

You could if you sign up for a free trial of amazon prime (I think you get 30 days)

Raducanu now 4-2 up in the second set!

Tbh I didn't see this coming...Bencic has played well in flits and starts...but raducanu...wow...her returning has been top notch, solid serve and she is hitting it hard!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Its 7 days, but its very handy for the second week.

Such a high quality match!

Lots of winners.

5-3...

5-4 Raducanu serving for the match!

and Bencic hitting looping forehands out

well done to Raducanu but I thought Bencic was better than that

a high quality match has to have 2 players playing decently well

and it didn't have that

• Advertisement

Raducanu wins 6-3...6-4...one or two wobbles..especially in that second set...but such a terrific performance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭redlad12

Told you all haha. Great performance. Will win the whole thing

This didn't age well...ha...I predicted Bencic would edge it too lol

There are plenty of top notch players left...I wouldn't get ahead of yourself.

She has played terrifically...but she has beaten one seed to get to the semis...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭klr87

Good lord, the hype train will need a new engine. Time to upgrade from the Flying Scotsman to one of those Japanese bullet trains.

Bencic could and should have played better, but I think these two youngsters are on such a roll that they are getting in the heads of their more experienced opponents,

Sabalenka not a hope, pliskova even less so. Agree on the other 2s chances!

How can they not be hyped about 16 sets in a row...

Bencic had very bad movement I thought and hit way too many shots out under no pressure

Raducanu did it though so good for her

Raducanu is now #51 in the live rankings, and would be about #40 if all those 2019 points weren't still being used. Even if she were to lose the SF, she wouldn't need much more points to be seeded at the Australian. Crazy, crazy world.

• Advertisement

Fair play to Raducanu, she's in with a chance now to win the whole thing out. The hype at Wimbledon next year will be unbearable and probably turn people off her, a pity because she's very likeable, unlike a lot of recent Brit players

And if leylah Fernandez and her somehow manage to win their semi finals. Sweet Jesus the hype train will need two banking engines to get it half way up the hill.

Hoping for a Raducanu-Fernandez final now. If Emma does indeed make the final you've got to think that having played an extra three matches in qualies will be a big factor, but maybe youth/adrenaline means it won't matter.

Extra matches yes, but they've all been straight sets. 16 sets (many quick) in about 16 days, no doubles matches ... she should be fine.

A Raducanu-Fernandez final would be at least as unexpected as the French Open women's final pairing this year, but would get exponentially more interest.

Agreed, a complete shock final but totally different circumstances. I think I'm actually rooting for Fernandez here on in, a joy to watch and look at who she's taken out to get this far!

weird situation at the end of the first set in the Zverev - Harris match

Harris had set point in the breaker and blew it and Zverev took it. (Harris also served for the set)

Then threw his two bottles on the ground and they spilled all over the court

Cue both players helping out with towels to clean it up and a leaf blower was called in

• Advertisement

The way Raducanu bowed out of Wimbledon was absolute genius, If she had lost that game two sets to zero at Wimbledon no one , except those who watch tennis would know her name, but the way in which she bowed out caused a national debate in UK, and further afield , from Pier Morgan labeling her a quitter, to Boris Johnson wishing her well , it all caused her to become a household name. This led to the wildcard entrances into tournaments in the US and her chance to enter US Open.

Of course you can't take anything away from her, she got her chance through the publicity of what happened at Wimbledon, and the debate over whether she did quit, or was injured. But either way she's amazing, now all we need to see is her losing a set, be 3-0 down in the second, and to stay on the court and take it on the chin.

Harris not doing it at the big moments when Zverev is letting him in

Zverev tightened up a bit also but two sets to love up now - can't see Harris making it back.

She had generated a lot of hype and pubilicty even before her withdrawal. She was always gonna get wildcards regardless.

Every year there are those who come from nowhere to do well at Wimbledon, then they lose, and then they are forgotten. Emma is in Vogue magazine this month dude, a nobody, who has achieved nothing...yet, center stage in Vogue. Usually all this comes after success, not on the back of the way her Wimbledon match ended.

Oh its very different than someone who just did well at Wimbledon. It was indeed the whole circumstances and the debate that followed that made her a household name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

She's not just someone who did well at Wimbledon though. She's someone who did well at Wimbledon who is also English, young and good looking. It's not hard to see why the media are creaming themselves over her.

I put Prime Video on mute as soon as match point was done, definitely made things better. I've nothing against her personally at all, she seems quite nice and grounded.

• Advertisement
Advertisement