Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to keep wasps away?

Options
  • 26-08-2021 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭

Wasps are making nest (i think) in a gap between the shed wall and the floor. I ignored it 1st but now they have stung our little daughter. I filled the gap with something but they found a new place to move, filled that and now they are on their 3rd spot in the same area. What is the best way to get rid off 'em? Its near the bins so no one will go out to throw waste in bins, also very close to the kitchen window which is now kept close all day! Any suggestion?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I had the same problem I got a guy who does this kind of thing, he had a long hollow tube and he blew white powder into the nest entrance it was all over in ten minutes any returning wasps going to the nest entrance got covered in powder which killed them as well, it cost 80 Euro but well worth it to get rid of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Check of its covered on your home insurance ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Wasp nest killer in Woodies is the white power. Works great

You can buy wasp nest killer in a can

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭Masala

What about a recommendation for keeping them away while eating outdoors! Am haunted everytime sit out on patio. Is there a 'scent' / 'Candle' that I can light to keep them away??

I bought the Woodies Wasp killer but I had to give up as I had to climb a ladder to the nest and don't ask how I did not get stung they came out and tried to sting me but I made it down and called the guy with the long tube who filled the nest with the powder from the ground.

I don't think nest is there yet. There are 100 of these little f***rs, every time I block their entrance they find a new one. I'm afraid of 'em moving into the shed as there are so many openings to that. I'll try the woodies powder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I've heard an empty jam jar full of water with some jam around the rim works as the jam attracts them and they drown.

Disclaimer: I've never tried this so not sure if it works or not.

they swim out of the water, i poured water on 'em few times!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

After just having a cup of coffee at an outdoors 'hut' thing I can confirm the jam jar does sfa, the place was overrun with wasps, won't go there again! They had the jar over near the bin as that seemed to be where they were mainly but there were so many that even if 50% of them headed for the jam jar that left more than enough to bother the customers, they seemed to be just as attracted to the cups of coffee/cake etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I'm very allergic to wasp stings, so I have called Rentokil whenever this happens. (A nest too near the house)

It costs, but it does work; end of nest.

As regards wasps being a nuisance this time of year, I don't think there's any cure; just don't annoy them by flailing at them cos that only makes them cross. Don't wear flowery scents, and keep all food securely covered. I always hang an old lace curtain over the kitchen door so they don't come in - my version of a mosquito net, lol.

They usually don't sting unprovoked; but don't kill them - other wasps will come flying to the help of an injured wasp - strange but true!

If ever you DO kill one, wrap the dead one in tissue and flush down the loo or otherwise get rid where the other wasps can't smell it.

Wasp trap, don't know if woodies stock them but nippon have a wasp control system for outdoor spaces.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Use soapy water. The soap clogs their spiracles which kills them by effectively smothering them

I bought the wasp killer powder from Woodies, sprinkled it over the entrance. I noticed that kept 'em away for the evening. Feckers have blow it away in bits now. Do you know if it is just a summer thing or they will stay there thru out the winter also?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭davidm20

I made a trap from a 2 litre fanta orange bottle. Left some of the orange in the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

OP, if the nest is an awkward spot get one of THESE it will help disperse the powder more efficiently

*take off the tip and it works even better

**use pritt glue and smear the entrance and spray powder onto it

***make sure you do it at night when the nest is dormant

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

At the end of summer with the first cold weather, the wasps will start to die and the nest will be empty over winter.

Only the queen will sleep the winter out, and emerge next Spring to start building a new nest and lay her eggs in it (they stay, already fertilised, from the autumn before).

So you can cautiously destroy the nest after the first frost, and block up access. I say cautiously, in case a few wasps are still hanging round.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 buritothecat

Ive put a puffed up brown paper bag filled with a few coins tied to my parasol and another on my back door when the door is opened.

majority of them are flying up to it and turn around ,they think its another wasps nest territory, has been working all week , drastically reduced the amount of wasps that have been coming in , maybe worth a try

The guy who I got had a long hollow tube with a long bit on the top he blew the powder into the nest he said it wont work unless it goes into the nest as they get covered in the powder, they were all coming out falling to the ground, any wasp that gets the powder on them will die anyway so the ones returning go inside and end of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,050 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

my father was alergic and as a result I've been brought up not to fear them or react to them and share my space with them. never been stung apart from sitting on one or two :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,050 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Bumping this thread.

We bought a new garden shed recently, a good one, to store a few things. Id noticed a particularly big wasp hovering around inside over the last 2 or 3 days but didnt think too much of it.

Today I wandered in and noticed a small funnel shaped yolk stuck to the ceiling, kind of like a decayed leaf that had gotten stuck in a spider web. Didnt cop what it was and absent mindedly poked it with a golf club. Out came queenie who proceeded to run me back to the house!

So having copped this was a nest in v early days of construction, I went back and knocked it down. A few mins later, there she was again back at the same spot, presumably trying to rebuild. Sprayed some WD40 at the area since (was all I could think of :)) and, the last time I checked, there was no sign of the wasp.

My question is, is she likely to keep trying or will the scent put her off? Any advice welcome. I obviously was lucky to spot it early but would rather not have to deal with the full blown version next august!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭Masala

Similar happened to me a few yrs ago..... so I taped around the door seals with masking tape. Saw the queen circulating around trying to get in but must have moved as there was no way in. Might be worth a try

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭rje66

Wasps are important, so don't kill them all.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Yes, but i still don't think i'd like to have a wasp nest in my shed.

Advertisement