Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DST thread disappeared

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Orion402

Thank you.

Move the Sun back one hour towards sunrise and recognise the asymmetry which accounts for the DST and its application in Spring thereby creating 'longer evenings' from clock noon to sunset. It should become clear why clocks move forward in October even as the hour hand moves backwards by one hour. The extra hour in terms of a clock surfaces as a longer length of time from sunrise to clock noon while clock noon to sunset returns to normal.

If you can leave at that then thanks, genuinely.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,509 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Well the poster has had their say, they hide a bit behind obscure semantics but clearly they have a hate on for me because I have some degree of visibility here which they resent, and it seems to be in part because they think I do not appreciate the Irish cultural heritage. That is a bald faced lie which the person can either retract or if they wanted to be courageous enough to reveal an actual identity, discuss in court as I don't feel like being casually defamed for absolute no reason whatsoever.

Somebody can contact me by private message if such information appears, but as I don't expect the person to be that forthright, I think this is the last I will be saying on this subject.

Should this poster or their posted threads remain on the forum, I will be ignoring them from now on. So if anyone wonders what I might have to say about further or future insults, I leave that to your imagination.

I note that the poster tried all this on before as "Oriel36" and was banned from the forum, so I have sent in a request to moderators to repeat that process as I think it breaks the forum charter to come back and try again under a new username. Perhaps a boards.ie total ban would be in order. I imagine the person would try again under yet another name, which will be a tiresome waste of time but nothing I can really influence in any way.

Good bye, I have tried to be civil and have attempted to ask sincere questions and this is the response I get. It is not the first time in my life, not everybody plays by the same set of rules as most of us. They should not expect any special treatment. And hiding behind an effort to evoke Irish history is pathetic, an obvious attempt to turn people against a forum member who (as everyone has always known) lives in another part of the world.

No I will not. I've wasted enough time on this. I gave you the link so that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Orion402

The seasons are neither solely meteorological nor astronomical, but rather a part of the Irish culture that incorporates our latitude, our festivals and so many other parts of daily life where we adapt and adjust to seasonal and daily changes in temperature and daylight. The seasonal adjustment of DST has become part of that culture, whether people agree or disagree with it so it is only right that it has been explained properly in terms of daily rotation along with the 24 hour system and the Latitude/Longitude framework on which accurate clocks were built.

Irish people are generally fair so thanks to the other contributor and his courage for supplying the link which makes it easy enough to understand how the length of daylight from clock noon to natural sunset increases when DST is applied. People of this island inherit a very old heritage and traditions that do not go away because less capable people are dominant presently and that includes an extension of this topic which defines the seasons through the Solstice and Equinox points. In short, understanding timekeeping properly is also to understand the different motions of the Earth and their effects on weather through the cyclical variations across an orbit of the Sun.

The explanation for DST in terms of the technical details of the breaking of the natural symmetry between clock noon with sunrise and sunset is new, so the proper explanation would appeal to those who live with the land and daily business relying on daylight. It means as the hour hand of a clock moves backwards in October, the 24 hour system moves forward to its home tied to natural noon with each rotation.

I don't have time for nuisances chattering about non-existent libel or banning as it distracts for the purpose of this thread to promote discussion rather than kill it. These people are petty and seen to be so.

Post edited by Orion402 on

• Advertisement

My "courage" for supplying the link? I'm not sure what type of crusade you think you're on but each post takes you further away from the relatively sane world the rest of us live in. I'm not sure why you have beef with someone who lives outside Ireland and where that irrational hate is coming from. I'd hazard a guess that whatever hatred you have for him is dwarfed by the hatred that most of us now have for you. To me you seem to be the textbook definition of a troll, but one of the weirder ones. The sooner the better this circus comes to an end.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: Ends now.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement