Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changing full name by deed poll

• 28-08-2021 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi there,

So I'm looking into changing my entire name (first, middle and last names). I understand the process of changing name by deed poll. My question is what do I need to do once that has been executed to get Revenue etc on to my new name? It seems like it could be a bit of a headache getting everything changed and I'm nervous about getting government bodies sorted out without causing any issues.

If anyone could offer some insight into how to get everything official changed over I'd be really appreciative!

Comments

There is some information regarding who requires what. Not a lot but it's a start and you're probably guaranteed there will be some issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Having gone through changing my name post separation the biggest hurdles were banks and passport. Needing multiple proofs of common usage can be tricky.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 somebodylikeme

Thanks for the comment!

Did you change your name via deed poll and register it in the High Court?

I thought that once you had done this you didn't need the same proofs of common usage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,713 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

You mostly don't, but for passports in particular you will. The passport office wants concrete proof not only that you have completed the paperwork associated with a change of name but that you are actively using your new name, and not your old.

Start with the utilities. It's relatively easy to get your electricity bill, etc, in your new name with just the deed poll. Then you can use your bills as proof to change your bank accounts, etc. Change your driving licence as soon as you can; that will give you a photo ID in your new name. Leave the passport 'til last. It is legal to continue using your current passport in your old name for travel purposes until you can get it reissued in your new name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

To add to what @Peregrinus has said, a change of name by deed poll alone is not accepted (or indeed required in the first place) for a passport name change, common usage is required and proof of such going back at least two years meaning when changing via deed poll you must still use your previous name for passport purposes for at least two years.

• Advertisement
Advertisement