Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secondary Teaching as a Mature Student

Options
  • 28-08-2021 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hello

Has anyone retrained to be a secondary school teacher?

I'm thinking about it but I will have to do the undergraduate degree with teacher education.

What I would like to know is How did you find going back to college

Post edited by Boards.ie: Niamh on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 onlinemathsgr

Triona

I went back at 25 to train to be a teacher, I already had my degree though. Feel free to PM me if you need any advice thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

I would suggest just do it, there are a number of places which do degrees which are recognised by the teaching council of ireland. And if you have to do a HDip or PGDE Hibernia college seems good for mature students.

It may be a shorter cut to do an education degree for secondary school teachers, I worked with a teacher who did a BAEd in Mary Immaculate College Thurles(probably St. Patricks College, Thurles then) also DCU also do Undergrad Education degrees for, secondary teaching (former courses of CoICoE, St.Pats and Mater Dei).

I have found some of the best teachers have real world experience and often have changed careers from a seemingly opposite profession.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

The PME had replaced the HDip and is two years long now. Fees for hibernia are over 15k. DCU offer similar flexibility, however, although it is more difficult to secure a place as they are capped.

if you have ab undergraduate degree in a syllabus subject (English, history, German etc.) then you will be able to enter teacher training at postgraduate level.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

I think there are great benefits in having teachers who have been mature students and worked outside the education sector. There should be a smoother path for accountants, CAD/draughtsman, and engineers to say teach accounting, graphics/drawing and maths etc in secondary school. I think it is a missed opportunity since often forces those who wish to teach to go through a 2-year, programme, when they have family commitments etc., excludes them.

I know there used to be an Irish language cert that allowed you to work in VEC schools if you had a tech qualification, does this still exist?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 midlife30

Hi All,

just looking for some advice. I have an honours degree in accounting and finance and have been in the insurance industry for 8 years and have been thinking about becoming a secondary school teacher.

I have a mortgage so going back to full time education is not really an option. Do you know if I can do the pme part time (evenings and weekends)?

Also any other advice on the process is greatly appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

Have a look at the rate of new teachers reconsidering their career options..... Many of them want out after 5 years. The abuse, apathy, office politics, then there is the ESG aspect and pay cut. My mate wanted to leave construction and change to materials technology .... Quick word with the wife (mortgage not paid, 3 kids under 18), he repackaged himself as a telecoms engineer and he got a new job better paid in a more dynamic company.

There is something wrong in society if you have done a degree or apprenticeship and you cannot afford to either rent or get a mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Spinbot

Question for fiona...did you go back with degree full time? I hear you can sub while studying to gain extra money?

Advertisement