Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Golf Society, Captains prize 18/09/2021, Enniscrone

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jarrieta

Great day out there in Enniscrone, one of my favorite courses. Thanks to Break80 for a great event and to spacecoyote for the organization of all the weekend. We were blessed with the weather given the grim forecast for the day.

Really nice company with fixthepitchmark and tigerwoods1. Tiger had a good run but a sore elbow ruined somehow his scores in the back 9, some cracking shots to be seen from both of them. I started well the first few holes, but a terrible short game and putting put my head in a very bad place, so the golf will have to wait for other opportunities to show

I will share a few piccies I got on the day, not many as I tried to keep the live scores and too much going on with my game.

Looking forward to next year and hopefully I will be able to attend more outings

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Lovely first photo, easily the best single hole view on the course

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭a post punk

Great to read through all the reviews from the weekend today, I was too wrecked when I got home yesterday to post which is a sign of a great weekend !!

Thanks to my playing partners, Alanm , golf nut and concerned, we had a very enjoyable round together and no one had a cross word even with the many balls lost to the whispy dungeon of Enniscrone😂😂

On the drive up I thought to myself don’t beat yourself up if it doesn’t go your way today just play and see what happens(I had 18 points on the same course last year) 🤫

I had a bit of form coming in so felt confident enough that I could do better. Found the bunker off my first drive so just chipped out and hit a handy 7 in which I thought would be fine but ended up loosing …. Kind of what happened for most of the day loosing balls and not getting a score out of 7 holes which I scratched in total…… On the good side I had 4 pars (1 on Index 2) and I had a run from hole 7 -13 that I got 18 points from and I thought that I could break 30 easily with 5 to play but scratched 4 out of the last 5 and I don’t know where the driver swing went but it just disappeared for those few holes………

On the course itself I actually love it and how you have to think about every shot, even in the middle on the flat par 4 -6th it’s a raised green that you have to land on it to stay not like some of the other holes where the contours can guide you in. In particular hole 12 and 13 are 2 of the most unique holes you could play on any course.

2 goals have been met this year which was winning a boards outing and making the jug team ( The third goal was exposed to the group by fixed with his round of questioning at the meal 😂😂) still a few months to break that 1 though!!

Fairplay to Charlie for the big haul of Cups at the weekend a deserved winner to grab it at Enniscrone.

I would like to say a massive thanks to fellow Corkonian Break80 for a great year of courses and brilliantly run under the circumstances. The back room team also who have been mentioned above but they have been a great help to every Captain so nothing new there with their level of comittment.

Finally congratulations to Fixed on taking on the role of Captain and no doubt he will inject new thinking and different courses for the year ahead which can’t come soon enough now!!

Also the craic at the meal and in the hotel afterwards was top notch a great finish to the year and a bit of normality!

PP

• Registered Users Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

The last 2 years have been chaos, and it shows the strength and perseverance of this group that we are still going strong. From a personal perspective, I think I probably took on too much of the burden of the workload on myself, and was worn out at the end of the year in 2020. Theres a great team of guys in the Society team made up of former captains who are always happy to help out, so I probably learned a lesson about myself and my inability to let things go and take advantage of the kindness of others 🤔 

What I will say is...I won't be organising hotels and meals for any of ye next year 🤬 I set up a survery and 10 people confirmed they want to go for dinner, I booked for 12 to give us cover, then 13 people show up and the restaurant have to scramble. We're a digital society, so people need to come along a bit with us and the way the world is moving, and not just go along for the ride and rely on the fact that someone will just look after them. Thats enough grumbling from me though, so sorry for getting my gripes off my chest 😆

....and breath

For all my grumbling, I wouldn't want to be a member of any other society. Its a fantastic group. As I said to almost every course I contacted and booked in my year, "We're not a Golf Society, we're a Society of Golfers". And that's what we are, a group of people who are deeply passionate about golf, but who are all great craic and a pleasure to be in the company of. When I say that I've made genuine friends for life over the last 7-8 years, I mean it. Like others I was nervous arriving for my first ever outing, and the first man I met, CharlieIRL is the man with all the trophies going home this weekend. Much as I would have loved to be taking at least one of those trophies home myself, no-one could begrudge Charlie his wins. He's an absolute gent and really has the swing of a single figure golfer hidden away in there. He just doesn't get to put the time in to bear the fruits of his abilities. I like to think we all chipped in a little in keeping his head straight on the day. When he'd missed probably his 4th or 5th birdie putt on the day and was beating himself up, I chipped in a couple of stats to try give him a bit of perspective and let him know that it was really great golf he was playing.

Slave1, probably the most well travelled golfer in Ireland, outside of Kevin Markham, is great company. We actually met years ago, in Tulfarris, at an introductory session for Golf Digest course reviewers. Whereas I managed to get about 6-7 rounds out of it, I think he probably got closer to 76-77 of them. He has a quick wit, and a quick mind, which makes for a pleasant playing partner. As he said himself, the course was probably too big for him (as it was for most of us to be honest). He actually drove very well, and his distance putting was exceptional, just a case that nothing would drop on the day.

I don't think I can say anything about Break80 that hasn't already been said. He fit into the captains role like a glove. A number of people have said in quiet conversations to me that the last couple of years have been tough to commit to society golf, but that, because of the person he is, that they wouldn't let him down and would be committed for the year. That says it all really. He's a man who has time for everyone, and though he might have an odd gripe in him, he really doesn't have a cross word to say. I can understand his frustrations with the course. It was a long day, and a tough slog at times, and he really didn't have much luck. I couldn't get my phone out in time to capture his bad luck with his stance in the bunker on the 9th (I think). You could see the frustration in him at what he had to put up with at times. But that didn't get in the way of the chats and the craic. And he was a happy man afterwards, running the show in the clubhouse and commanding the audience with ease.

We're privileged really with the golf that we have access to in Ireland. To play a course set among majestic dunes like that in Enniscrone, surrounded on all sides, in any other country in the world, would probably cost you hundreds. I really don't think there is another course in the country where you get that much course for your money. Maybe it was a fools errand to play the whites, but its the society Captain's day, the big event of the year, and I believe it should be a test. And a test it was. I didn't have my A-game, or even my B or C-game with me. I think the first night out I've had in a couple of years took its toll on me, so I was a tired man coming off the course and at the end of the night.

I was tired...but I was satisfied. Good golf, good food, good drinks and mostly GOOD FRIENDS.

Boards golf, its been a pleasure these last few years, and I'm looking forward to more good times in the years to come. Fix has big boots to fill, but if there is one man that can step up to that challenge, it's him. The way he works, we'll probably pick up extra members mid-outing. Start a round with 30 golfers, finish the 18th with 6 new members dragged in from other groups around us.

Looking forward to the Jug in a few weeks time. See ye there, and then beyond in 2022

• Registered Users Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

...oh and it was 20 yards from your marker to the LD marker Charlie, so 260+ rather than 280. Still a big hit in those conditions (sorry Roadrunner :) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Actually funny moment of the day. And like yourself space I was not quick enough with the camera, but I pissed myself laughing when benny79 got knocked over by his own golf cart…….. at least he laughed himself 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭benny79

Finally getting to sit down to write a review still slightly recovering from another great weekend with boards! To be honest I was a bit nervous going away. As all the lads are vaccinated and lets just say I have different views 😊 So I was a bit worried I was going to be a bit of a burden to everyone and getting into places thankfully the world is seeing sense and starting to ease! and we had a fantastic two nights!

The golf start for me in Claremorris and what an absolute gem of a course! It was good to see the lads and the banter quickly ensued. The 5ivers where put down and off we went. I played well and finished with 33pts thinking I had this in the bag till charlie & slave1 came in with 39 & 40 points respectively. I was lying 5th in GOTY and these 2 boyos were ahead of me! Panic was creeping in but I said to myself I'm good on links, its a different game!

The main event Enniscrone - have to say I wasnt feeling it from the off but had the pleasure of playing with Ballyk, seve and offaly medic all society veterans! I heard the starter say aim for the shed in the distance. So I said to myself draw it off the shed which I did thinking the hole dog legged left. hit the perfect shot middle of fairway, until I got down to the ball and realised the hole went right and I had 180 yds left straight into a head wind 🙄 This was the story of my day sadly. I really tried to dig deep knowing a win would get me GOTY but I found it a brute of a course not enjoyable at all! and I love links! not 1 GIR did I have and I was striking the ball well the distances between green to tees where a killer not to mention climbing them dunnes looking for balls.. losing balls just of the fairways, to many blind holes. I never played a course as tough not knowing where to go or hit didnt help matters. I was marking offaly medics card and she had 4 scratches on the bounce at the turn and I said to myself dip deep everyone will be struggling only to scratches the next 4! 🤬 7 in total! That was it all hope and enjoyment gone! As Seve mentioned above my bag flying back and nearly running me over summed up the day.😂 For the 4 of us not to break 20 pts till the 17th showed how hard this course was! Are round was 5hrs 18mins and we weren't been held up or were holding the group behind up.. It was just tough and the 4 of us couldnt wait to finish. On a better day knowing were to go things might be different but for me its not a course Id be rushing back to sorry.. But have to say the laugh and banter later always makes up for it! This society is some what special.

To Charlie congrats truly delighted for you! To having played with you from not been able to get it off the tee! To seeing you turn your game around in 2 years truly gives me hope that one day I will improve! (still waiting on your secret!)

Break80 Thank you for another incredible society year! not bad for a Langer!😂

Seve and Space the work you's do keeps the society alive! fair play! 👏

And to the incoming 2022 Captain Fixdepitchmark - what can I say only about bloody time! 😂

Im counting down the minutes!

B..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

I played with doublecross, woodyg and snackbox. I played rosses point the day before (very badly) which, even though very tough, is an easier and more forgiving course than enniscrone. Conditions were going to be tougher and course less forgiving. My second best move of the weekend was going to the driving range before my round began and getting rid of all poor shots out there and finding a groove.

Space set up the swingspeed monitor beside the first tee to great banter and genuine belly laugh inducing fun. I thought I took the win on that which give me a spring in my step for the first hole (alas the win went to doublecross!)

The opening drive on enniscrone is wide, dog leg to the right, and not as tough as the drives on the rest of the course. But it's not until you see the green nestled in the dunes that it grabs you how nice this course is. And how tough it is. Two good strikes left me with a makeable birdy putt which I missed, but I was feeling good. I carry a 2iron which is a weapon off the tee for me when courses get tight. I put this to great use in enniscrone. A 2iron off the tee on two, a punched mid iron to right side of fairway left an easy 70metre approach which I struck well to leave another makeable birdie putt. A miss and another solid par. I had a nice run of green in reg and felt like I was doing everything well in tough conditions. I ended with 31 points which was well reduced on what my ability was for the day. However this gave me 4th place which was just enough to sneak into the top 10 for the year and seal my place on the Jug team next month which was the goal for me on the day.

Enniscrone is probably my favourite course in the country. A peninsula of the most breathtaking dunes in the country, surrounded on three sides by the sea. You're guaranteed wind and weather will take part. You are going to have uphill, sidehill, downhill shots. If you can imagine a rollercoaster combined with a golf course then you have this. There is no single shot that you will take during the whole 18 holes that is not difficult. The course takes an obvious physical toll on you. It also especially takes a noticeable mental and emotional toll too and more than any other course I've seen. You are very likely to strike good shots that don't get rewarded. You are surrounded by danger for so long you only get a minor reprieve with the "weak" flatter holes which are probably about 6, 7 and 8. But these are very long holes, low index and still require just as much attention as before and gradually route you over to the far side of the peninsula where you are exposed to the wind coming from the other direction. 

My trolley battery gave up on the 12th hole and I was pushing hard from then on. This leads in to what I consider my best move of the weekend. I made sure I got a good sleep the night before I teed off at enniscrone. Endurance is essential on this course. I think it wasn't until about hole 15 or 16 with a hard wind into and off the right, very narrow and incredibly dangerous was where the mental toll that the course takes peaked for me. You are forced to hit driver on many of these holes as the fairways are narrow if you are short. But when you reach the 16th you are just looking for a break. When you walk up on the tee you are greeted by marram and hills. You need to squint to see the fairway. You finally get the break at the 17th which is a short hole and high index, so technically "easy". But then you realise it's about as difficult a par 3 that you can imagine! The 18th a long par4 turns directly into the wind. Often I'm disappointed walking off 18th greens. I'm finished. But I enjoyed it and I want to play more. It's like someone has taken the ball off me and left. But when you walk off 18 here, there's nothing left, there's nowhere left on the peninsula that you haven't explored.

I had a lot of good shots out there, but golf is not about the good, it's about the about the bad shots and minimising the destructiveness of them and managing to score from them. Woodyg does this. Whether struck well or thin or heavy. It didn't matter, they all went down the center -this innate ability to navigate safely through danger guided woodyg to his 31 points 3rd place finish on the day. Snackbox is a good striker and wasn't far off the pace. One or two lost balls at the wrong time cost heavy. Doublecross, perhaps the finest golfer in the whole society has a special ability to merge power with delicate finesse. He has the ingredients that I lack to really be good and I thought I was going to see something really special on the day. I saw flashes. Crazy up-and-downs, incredible precision at times. Doublecross was rusty due to reduced play recently and I saw enniscrone punish that. He also never quite got over the blind nature of many of the shots. Hit-and-hope is not his preferred style of play. I was thinking midway around about the society members and if you could cherry pick the best bits of anyone's game in the society, it would might look a little something like: You'd probably pick 1) doublecross's putting and pace control. Then maybe you also pick 2) doublecross's chipping. You might then still take 3) doublecross's wedge and his iron game, and 4) doublecross's consistent long game as even though the highest swingspeed on the monitor, he still only swings controlled swings at <80-90% of full bore every time like tony finau.

This had got very long, so just quick big shouts to Break80, Space, Seve and everyone on the committee and also Fixdepitch for next year. Myself and fix carpooled which meant I literally spent the whole weekend laughing.

I'm delighted I made the jug, and really can't wait to arrive at druids glen for my favourite event of the whole year. I got a lot out of the weekend and would suggest to other lurker golfers sitting on the fence to throw your name and consider joining the society next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I don't mean to butt in, but if I can just comment on something....

I'm brand new to golf. A complete beginner and still working on actually hitting the ball in a relatively straight line! I haven't really posted anything in this forum but I've lurked for the past view weeks and took a deep dive into some old threads. I've picked up some great advice along the way.

My goal is to eventually get to a standard where I can keep up with other golfers and not be embarrassed and slow everybody down!

I've been a member on Boards for a long time and I have to say, this forum, and particularly these society threads, are pretty much the friendliest places on this website. Reading through this thread and seeing the camaraderie, banter, and love of the game on display is fantastic to see. It seems to be a very tight-knit, positive bunch of people in here. You only need to look through this thread to get excited about heading out for a round.

Eventually, when I hopefully get to be a somewhat capable player, I hope to join a society that's even half as positive and encouraging as this one seems to be.

Anyway, I'm not sure why I felt the need to post this here but I just thought I should say Kudos. It's great to see such a love for the game and humanity starting to return to the world! I look forward to reading more, and learning more, from this forum in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭benny79

Hi El Guapo,

You are most welcome and dont be ever afraid to come along to a society outing believe me you wont be the worst 😂 We are all just golf nuts at the end of the day. 😉

B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭blue note

My two brothers in law are playing off 30ish handicaps. It p1sses me off royally when they talk about guys getting annoyed playing with them. They're right, guys do. But they should cop on, there's nothing wrong with someone being a beginner.

I'm hoping to play a few next year. I've kept February free from my wedding day and birth of my first child this year, so please God I'll be walking down to Portmarnock links for my first society outing. If Tramore could be added back to the roster for next year better again - I can pop down home to my parents that weekend and walk to that one too!

But I suspect the boards society would be a particularly welcoming society for beginners. I wouldn't wait for anything to join.

Very kind of you, thanks.

I think I'll definitely take you up on that offer at some stage. I think you'll lose that bet on me not being the worst though!

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Break80

I,m a great man for the fiver on the side.

After some of my performances this year I am sure I would be handing the fiver over to you.

Keep an eye out for incoming Captains list of courses around the new year. If you love the game and are not too sensitive you will fit right in.

Lovely post El Guapo!, and very nice of you to give our society those compliments.

we have been musing of late about boards not being what it used to be and we have asked our society members to start posting about their rounds again. it is reading these posts which can give people like yourself who may be on the fence about coming to an outing, a bit of an insight as to what the society is all about and a little encouragement to come along and join us.

your post is testament to our belief that posting in the society threads is what we should be doing.

if you can swing a club, don’t wait, come and join us. We have some fantastic golfers, real golfers, decent golfers, ok golfers, average golfers, new golfers, old golfers……. You get the message, everyone is welcome. What I love about it, the really good golfers we have, will always give the new members and beginners a lot of time and there is never anybody who gets upset or gives out about who they play with, or only want to play with good golfers.

sure some come and go, others linger, some are out at every outing, some have returned. It’s the nature of the beast. Also why we are always looking to grow the society and welcome new members.

so El Guapo, and anyone else who might be on the fence……… see yiz soon 🥳🤩

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

His Year to Break 80 

So his year is done, it started in pain

No golf, no outings, no worry ‘bout’ rain

The boredom and anger – the 5 K debate

My mind is gone mental – what an unreal state  

Then along came May – “We are Back” He says !

On the road again – for our long Board Days

The Stunning Kilkea castle – for Benny and a King

Concerned with a 44pts win – to take from our Queen

Then off to Fota – Slave a great win

36pts – after a long electric spin

The animals watching them, they follow a ball

This Boards Society makes no sense at all

So Castlecomer it was then, another new place

Our front line Hero – won the great driving race

West Waterford next, a Markham gem hidden  

The Society delighted with the Post Punk win

The year was too short – the left over past

We will make the last outing – a full weekend blast

To Links at the end – cruel long and tough

An end to the year – a year of long rough

Close at the Top of the table, for all

But Charlie stood strong, determined and tall

He took trophy after trophy, with a tear in his eye

Break 80 spoke proud – “WELL DONE CATHAL BOY”

So Break 80 he did it – with Space by his side

The committee, the friends – the rest for the ride

But his job is not finished – there is one more Jack Daniel’s  dream

Break 80 lad – and join the f&cking team

Fix 

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭a post punk

Excellent Fixed😂👍

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Thanks a post punk - if I have one target for 2022 - it is that the term "Fixde" - will be cemented. The "de" is a Dublin colloquialism, that tries (but fails) to say, golf does not need to be as it seems. It can be enjoyed by anyone from any background. Even Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Break80

That post is "the berries boy" as we say in Cork.

I am looking forward to your posts for the year Fixde.

I think I made the right choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Nice post. FYI, I wouldn't worry about the golf part once you've a passion for the game. The actual hardest part is driving in on your first day, knowing you've to walk up to some people to ask them are they from the internet. It's also the funniest part. Some of the lads wear "Boards.ie" shirts now which if I'm honest takes a bit of the fun of the initiation away 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Snackbox20

Great post Fixed, great little poem 😁😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Snackbox20

@El Guapo! , you will not regret joining this group, a brilliant and so welcoming bunch of golfers.

Every outing is a great day out and mighty craic.

I like you read and followed the forum for a long time, then bit the bullet and joined first game and day out was Portmarnock links, got such a sound and lovely welcome.

Never looked back. Joining this society has been a huge improvement to my golf game.

Go fore it dude 😁

Alright, I'm in!

Where do I sign? Or who do I handover my first-born to?

Send me a pm with your name, email and mobile. I’ll add you into Teamer which we use for organising events. If you are in a club send me your gui number and club name. If you are not, that’s no no problem…… you can just give me your IBAN instead 🥸

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭doublecross

Better late than never. Thanks to Break80 for his organisation during the year. It's a lot of getting there early, hanging around with scorecards and ringing golf clubs but we appreciate the work. Also a big thank you to the past captains who put in a lot of work in background posting results and organising hotels among other things.

I had the pleasure of playing with Roadrunner, Snackbox and woody. Snackbox is a very steady player and didn't do a lot wrong, on another day could have easily posted a winning score. I've played with woodyg few times in the past and he has really improved over the last few years. Down the middle every time and only a few points short of the win. I've played with Roadrunner a lot over the years and he is one of the best ball strikers you're going to see (jealous) and hits it a mile. I think we measured 300yards with his 2 iron!! Roadrunner was cruising for most the round but fell away a bit in the end. I think not bring a 3 wood cost him a bit also.

Well done to Charlie on an impressive haul of trophies. Well deserved winner of GOTY.

Enniscrone is an impressive and wild course but it felt like hard work. Far too many blind shots. I hadn't a clue where I was going half the time. Even looking at the course guide we couldn't make our minds up what was the line off the tee. Not knowing what club to hit or if you'd find your ball over the hill. I think we spent 5 minutes walking in different directions looking for our next tee box at one stage. In saying all that, now that i've played it i'd be confident of shaving 10 shots off my score if I was to play it again. It's a course you need to play more than once because the first time is just a learning experience.

Best of luck to the lads in the Jug, great to have it back on.

Advertisement