Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 Laptop will not connect direct to router wirelessly unless Wired LAN drivers are installed

Options
  • 29-08-2021 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭

Its a strange thing this, I didnt know whether this question belonged in the computer section or the Networking system .

Here is the scenario .

Windows 7 laptop without its LAN Ethernet Drivers installed (yellow exclamation mark in device manager) ,

plug in a 802.11g USB dongle - windows recognises it and installs the drivers for it (already included in windows),

all good - Go to wireless symbol next to clock , shows available wireless networks - a FritzBox 7530 (and a wi-fi repeater I have in the house , in the hall) both have same WPA2password.

OK so I go to connect to fritzbox router with the right WPA2 password and it doesnt take it, then it comes up with another different box to put the password in . I put the correct WPA2 password in and it says 'incorrect password' its not - if I go into device manager and install the Ethernet Wired Drivers (say its a gigabyte ethernet 10/100) then I can connect fine to the fritzbox router with the same correct WPA2 password.

OR .....

I can connect fine to the Fritzbox router if I choose the repeater in the hall (which is connected to the fritzbox) even without the wired LAN drivers missing on the laptop.

So, really all I want to do is get my head around why the windows 7 laptop will not connect to wireless network from the fritzbox router if I dont have the Wired lan drivers installed ..... but will connect to the wifi repeater (which is wirelessly connected to the fritxbox router) even with the windows 7 wired LAN drivers not installed or will connect wirelessly direct to the fritzbox if I install the drivers for the wired LAN / Ethernet on the windows 7 laptop?

What would be blocking getting connected wirelessly direct to the fritzbox - but managing to connect to the fritzbox router through the wi-fi repeater?

Thanks.

Advertisement