Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self drive hire insurance

Options
  • 29-08-2021 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

I was hoping somebody could help. I'd like to rent out a 4x4 recreational vehicle, but don't know how to organise insurance for that. In the UK it seems pretty common to buy a "Self-drive hire" insurance when renting out your car, but in Ireland nobody knows about that: I rang quite a few brokers and insurance companies and they don't even want to listen.

I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 22,329 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Rental here normally includes insurance as an extra, with varying levels of cover and excess.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, if I get you correctly, you own the vehicle and you want to rent it out. I can't see anyone offering to cover it in Ireland.

Even if you added the renter as a named driver on your policy, the fact that they are paying to use the vehicle would void the cover as you would effectively be operating a rental service. Which your policy will definitely not cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 _dubadub_

Do you think it's possible if I registered as a business (as sole trader or limited company)? Because as you're saying I'd effectively be operating a rental service.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You would certainly need to register as a business (probably limited company) because nobody will cover a private individual renting out his car. Clearly there are Irish rental companies operating in this field and they have to get their insurance somewhere. But I've no idea which insurers cover this business.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭zg3409

Join fleet are an Irish company that allow anyone to hire out their own car by the day and the "app" sorts out insurance. You set the price you want to hire for, and someone asks to hire on specific days and times, and the app helps you make contact with each other. They also may promote unusual or different vehicles.

They are based in Wicklow but I would ring them and check insurance if it's a non standard car

There is some catches for the person loaning the car, such as what happens if car breaks down on other side of country, or if renter does not get back on time or there is damage you dont notice on return such as clutch worn.

Below is some catches

• Advertisement
Advertisement