Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intresting read

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Do deer get T.B.?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Rescueme0007

The current evidence suggests that deer are not a significant vector for bTB, but they can contract and transmit the disease. It seems to be very localised in deer.

So as the deer population expands so too will deer with bTB. So if deer with bTB become more common then the cattle population will become more susceptible to getting bTB from deer. Would this be correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭slipperyox

I did a biology lesson years ago, and the deer had TB, visible on the lungs

Not necessarily, if the beasts do not have it, then they cannot transmit it, no matter how much their numbers increase. Also, sick deer do not receive veterinary care so they don't last long, reducing their probability as a vector for contagion.

• Advertisement

Obviously if they don't have TB they won't transmit it. But as in most animals when their numbers increase disease also increases. Do deer become sick with TB or are they just carriers.

That's only true if the resources available are limited to the point that it's impacting upon the organism's (in this instance deer) ability to stay in good shape physically. With enough fodder and space animals stay healthy and are able to resist the effects of contagion. As to how TB effects the deer themselves, not an area in which I have any expertise!

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sika98k

The hind season in England, Wales and N. Ireland is November 1st to March 31st. The deer population in Ireland is expanding in quantity and range. The suggestion is to extend the hind season until March 31st.

By extending the hind season it would be hoped to reduce the number of hinds and does. A stag or buck can potentially sire many offspring. A 25% annual cull is necessary just to maintain a herd of deer. A higher percentage is required to actually reduce the number.

Deer stalkers should try to achieve a higher hind/doe cull to reduce numbers.

Completely agree with Sika98k, targeting the does/hinds is the only effective way to control numbers. I'm mostly interested in the meat, not trophies, so I concentrate on the hinds (if I have the option).

Advertisement