Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CRO no longer striking companies off?

Options
  • 30-08-2021 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I was just checking some companies out on the CRO - for business purposes I've always found it best to start with a check and go from there - and I noticed one company with a very strange status:

https://core.cro.ie/e-commerce/company/524039

has a status of "Normal" yet has a Next annual return date in June 2019!

This strikes me as rather odd. Wouldn't a company that has not done an annual return since 2018 be automatically struck off? Are strike offs being halted due to Covid?

Does it make any difference? I wouldn't deal with a company with no annual returns for three years anyway, but it seems a bit hazardous to let them lie about with Normal statuses!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

When all this Corona nonsense is over, the enquiry into the running of Ireland's Civil and Public Service during the pandemic will make very interesting reading for all taxpayers. However, I wouldn't hold your breath. The mandarins will squash it before it reveals anything that makes them look bad.

As far as corporate governance is concerned, Ireland is still the wild west. Why anyone would trade with a company that hasn't made a return for three years is beyond me. At least you checked. 90% of Irish companies probably wouldn't bother and then wonder why they haven't been paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭capefear

because of covid the cro have put a hold on striking off companies for non submission of returns, but that will change shortly as they are due to start stiking off companies again soon ( no date has been giving yet) I assume they will make an annoucement and probably give a timeframe for companies to get their returns up to date and once that deadline has passed they will start the process of striking them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

i think how iy works is we will not be be issued with Tax cert. I also think companies are not struck off on the site for 6 years.

In that time it is pretty straightford to restore a company. However after this time if we want to restore a company we need to make an application to the High Court...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭carveone

Thanks. I suppose it's possible that there'll be a big avalanche of strike offs in the near future then. Given that, it's even more of a good idea to check the cro in situations where you can end up out of pocket. Not just in trading goods and services but employment too. Even your management company (if you live in an apartment).

I've previously been in the position of having the company I worked for go strike off. It's no fun!

Advertisement