Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

gift for teachers

• 30-08-2021 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

so i'm not irish - so i dont know if thats something thats expected in ireland.

my daughter is going in to 1st class tomorrow. today at aldis we saw a plant and it said "the perfect gift for teachers" or something like that

is it expected/normal in ireland to bring teachers gifts when school starts? does the parent give it to the teachers or the kid? and whats a good gift to give?

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

Christmas and end of year usually, Aldi just chancing their arm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭daheff

Don't give your teacher a start of year gift.

its not necessary. Or at Christmas...or year end. Next thing we know people will be tipping teachers.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Primary school teacher here .We don’t seek any kind of gifts . If you wish to show appreciation to a teacher , a personal note of thanks at Christmas or at the end of the school year is more than enough as a “ thank you.”

Some people do give gifts at those times , but that isn’t expected at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

thats for the replies guys! we didnt bring anything and were glad to see that no one brought any gifts lol

so we'll keep that for the end of the school year i guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Retired teacher here. Gifts certainly not expected. A thank you from parent or child always appreciated and a note would be wonderful. Shops try to make parents guilty at Christmas and at year end.

As a matter of interest my daughter in law (also a teacher in another school) and her fellow parents usually make a collection of no more than €5 per family at year end and give the class teacher a token for a local outlet. No pressure on anyone and no names included in card. Means the teacher gets a nice amount of gift token and no one spends too much. Organised through Whatsapp group or equivalent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭coleen

A parent in our school asked me about giving a gift at the start of the school year, she was Russian and that is their tradition. So maybe Aldi have them as it happens in other European countries. She told me that they don’t give a gift at the year end.

the going rate in our school is €10 per head at year end

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Couldn’t stand over class collections, why should parents be forced to chip in ? And as teachers , we all appreciate that money can be exceptionally tight in many homes. A sincere note is priceless.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Yeah same as that we give €5 or €10 a head. Teacher gets a card or voucher and assistant gets something aswell. No idea if everyone contributes or not nor would it concern me. I never checked if all the names were on the card or not. Hopefully they were whether they contributed or not

Advertisement