Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refused WFH multiple times, colleague has been doing it for months.

Options
  • 31-08-2021 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Thanks

Post edited by scamh on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

As you said yourself, WFH is a privilege not a right and its very much in the gift of your manager. You would need a very good case for working from home, such as an inability to get childcare. WFH just because you want to is not a strong case.

Personally, my day to day work colleagues are all based outside Ireland and i have minimal work interaction with people in the office. So it makes no difference where I work.

The person in your office wfh may have no alternative but to do so. They probably have children and need to do a school run while their spouse works. There's probably a good case for them, if you give more details?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭karlitob

Here is all you need to know on WFH on the hse.ie website. It includes details on how to contact HSE HR Employee Relations. Call them.

I would say that it's very late in the day to be pushing all of this particularly as its likely that we will all be going back to the office soon.

Ignore the comment above - not getting childcare is NOT a good reason to WFH. You are paid to work not care for your children.

Your colleagues family situation is now moot as everyone is healthcare has been vaccinated.

I used to find it hard to believe that any office is 100% paper or that dot matrix printers still exists - but not anymore. Unfortunately, WFH is allowed unless you cannot do the work from home. If you need this printer, and your work is 100% paper, then you don't have much of a choice. I would thread carefully with referencing other colleagues - as you say, everyone is at different grades. Instead highlight perceived inconsistencies and ask why it seems to you that WFH has been afforded to another colleague - at the same grade and doing the same work - but not you. But remember, if I was your manager - I'd just make you both come in.....it all sounds like too much hassle.

If you don't like your colleagues, then move job. The HSE is the biggest organisation in the country - there's jobs all over the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,229 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Just move to a role that has wfh baked in.

Our place has no consistency with WFH even before the lockdown.

Now even though wfh worked perfectly, and all the endless chat about various hybrid models going forward. The head guy has changed tack and is looking like they'll want everyone back in at much as possible.

You solve all that uncertainty and hassle by just moving to role that is wfh from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭heretothere

Not anymore, but lack of childcare was def a huge issue and a good reason to WFH for a lot of people last year! Playschool etc closed down, what were people meant to do.

That may be part of the reason the colleague initially got WFH but as far as I am aware all playschools etc are opened up now again bar the odd local lockdown.

Advertisement