Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2021 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

That may be, but before 2019 i didnt need to cut the grass in november, last 3 years there has been enough growth to cut it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Cut my grass last week and will have to cut again at the weekend. Our hedge will also have to be cut again too. Growth still happening here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Air frost here last night. Great to see this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Met Éireann teaming with three countries to create supercomputer to advance weather forecasting

Planned to be operational by early 2023, the new supercomputer will provide high-resolution weather forecasts.

MET ÉIREANN IS joining forces with national weather services in Denmark, Iceland and the Netherlands to jointly operate a new supercomputer that will bring significant advancements to short-term weather

The United Weather Centres-West collaboration is a scientific and technical response to this challenge, with four countries jointly operating a supercomputer that will allow more timely and accurate weather forecasts and warnings to help protect life and property.

Planned to be operational by early 2023, the new supercomputer will provide high-resolution weather forecasts that will be used to:

• Provide more accurate and timely weather warnings that will allow emergency services to prepare for potential impacts of severe weather.
    • Help people and communities make better decisions to protect lives, homes and businesses when impacted by weather events such as heatwaves, flooding or heavy snow.
    • Enable the agricultural sector to make earlier decisions to protect and better manage their crops and livestock.
    • Provide more timely and focused information to marine communities.
    • Support the transport and energy sectors with more detailed and timely weather information to allow increased economic and environmental benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭Dazler97

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

How many more super high res forecast models do we actually need? The 4 countries mentioned above, inc this one, have the most predictably insipid weather patterns on the entire planet. We are not exactly talking tornado alley here. where such super high res models might actually be of some use.

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Striving to improve forecasting is a good thing. Collaborating with other countries to share resources , skills, knowledge, costs and to learn from each other is a very positive development .

To be proactive in striving for better modelling and excellence in the delivery of a service is to be applauded. Aiming to provide better warnings and guidance to the public and to those whose livelihood's are more weather dependent especially in areas more prone to being impacted by severe weather events is commendable.

Sorry, but I thought, and have been told, that no model can compare, or be substitute, to the actual raw skill of the forecaster.

And as I said, the countries co-operating in this are not subject to 'severe weather'. Now, Iceland, on the rare occasion in the late Autumn/Winter could qualify to a small degree, but that's about it. And this 'sharing of costs' you speak of is just the sharing of tax-payers money.

New Moon

Another already available tool that forecasters have at their disposal and that far outweighs the usefulness of high-res models is near real time satellite imagery. What will be will be, but I'd much prefer if Met Servies spent this money on improving and expanding on their weather station network, which this country especially would greatly benefit from. For example, we have only a handful (if that at all) of stations now that measure sunshine totals, and two of them are just a few miles apart, not to mention the lack of stations in the SW and SE of the country especially... while we have 3 in close proximity to each other in the Dublin region, 4 if you include Dunsany.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭spookwoman

At least sort out the Radar network and Shannon for a start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

Hurrah for the supercomputers

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭zisdead

"the countries co-operating in this are not subject to 'severe weather'. Now, Iceland, on the rare occasion ......"

I probably stopped reading at "on rare occasion".

Iceland doesn't have severe weather? Just no!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Weather is similar to North west coast of Ireland. Colder because of its latitude and proximity to Greenland. But it temperate maritime like Ireland due to Gulf Stream

As for winter, Iceland is not all covered by ice and snow as its name would suggest. In fact, outside of the higher altitudes or parts of North Iceland, snowfall rarely stays on the ground longer than a few days. Rain is more common, with October being the wettest month. Also, the cool northerly winds can be strong at times so we recommend an insulated or down jacket for winter visits.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭zisdead

Not going to get bogged down in this I know precisely what the Icelandic weather is like. But why dont you go and plot all the major North Atlantic storms for every Autumn and Winter and note the central pressure and track to Iceland. Now plot the same for the Republic huge difference in lower pressure and skewed track to Iceland. Throw in the frequency of snow occuring during the Icelandic winter storms as compared to the Irish storms (non existent).

Also, you are a fisherman and are going out to sea every day be it Iceland (or Ireland for that matter) per the OP's point which started the convo :-sure lets do away with very accurate computer generated forecasts as we have the most banal weather. See how many fishing seasons you will last without bang up to date Met info. I'll guess not even one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭OldRio

After reading the last page it seems some posters never change, do they?

Anyway, the grounds far to wet to cut the grass. I would love to give it a final cut but not a chace.

Mild but wet and windy here in Leitrim.

Yup more track to Iceland. But why narrow down to winter months? Or is the discussion extreme weather in winter months. Either way Iceland like all parts of the planet receive extreme weather.

I’m in favour of accurate reporting. It’s vital for many professions and their safety. I also believe it should be funded by the state through taxes.

if the green taxes meant better forecasting models, more stations, more coverage of stations I’d be delighted.

I also think countries pooling resources is good.

I reckon the growing will spill into early December.

Wasps are still fairly active too, they might see through to December also.

Grass cut today, hopefully wont need to cut it again until christmas eve

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Billcarson

The mostly above average warmth theme that set in during September predictably has continued generally speaking. Haven't seen one bloody frost yet. Such depressing nov weather, mild, bland often dull....

Feels very warm outside, fed up of this weather now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Cold no, rain yes, i like the cold crisp frosty nights, great for a nice walk in the evening

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

New lawn still growing strong with the mild weather. Delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Currently this autumn is running with 2011 as the warmest on record at Phoenix Park, where records began in 1855. This is unlikely to hold as November 2011 was also the mildest on record, November 2021 is currently a degree cooler than November 2011. Pretty likely to be a top 3 mild autumn however.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Same, had the garden landscaped a few weeks ago including new turf laid. The mild weather + drop of rain has been great for helping it settle in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Where did this September come in,must have been one of the warmest on record?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

a mild November night out there with most stations at 10 or 11 degrees at 11pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

It was the warmest on record at Phoenix Park, it bet the record of Sep 2006.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭highdef

Why on earth would you be fed up or not liking it to to be not cold outside, at any time of the year? Surely you can do more things outdoors, whilst not having to wear extra layers, when it's not cold outside???? It's not as though it's consistently mild and wet and/or windy....It has generally been not raining combined with lighter than average winds.

"Very warm" (as you have described it) to me is mid 20's and it's very very far from that. I don't think that any official Met Office would describe the temperatures of late as being warm, never mild very warm. "Mild for the time of year" is about the "warmest" I could say about it.

Advertisement