Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2021 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

It has rained everyday this week up here and been windy as well. A couple of those days had horizontal drizzle on a keen wind for hours on end with mild temperatures. It's pretty boring.

Looking at an exceptionally mild and non descript Autumn. A couple of days ago it was 17c that's very warm for November.

Personally I'd love some cold weather. Love being out in the frost for a walk . Better than that mild wet drizzle pish car washing your face with every step that's for sure.

Do you not think your post was a bit over the top? I don't get why people get so worked up when someone else states their weather preference. Common theme on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

National mean temperature rank (since mid-70s) for period Nov 1st to 12th:

As of yesterday, this November is running 12th warmest in this series with its 9.6c. For interest, the coldest Nov 1-12th period in this data was the 6.1c in 1976.

(data: Met Eireann)

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭highdef

Rock Lesner only mentioned that it was "very warm". There was no mention of wind or rain so I couldn't assume they had been occurring as well however wind and/or rain in the mix inevitably makes it not feel very warm such is the nature of that type of weather. Reading your comment, yes if it was mild but also wet and windy, then I would agree with you that I'd prefer it cool/cold, calm and frosty but you're describing a different weather situation to what Rock described.

I absolutely love cold frosty weather but if I've a choice between cold and calm or mild and calm in the winter months, I'll choose the latter as I can get more done outside. Also saves money on heating..... Moving home shortly and heating the house is gonna be "interesting"🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

If there’s no genuine cold and snow on the way well then the exceptionally mild or warm conditions are very welcome for me even for Dec, Jan, Feb

5-10°c is just a horrible nuisance

I will say this though that I’m a great believer that Mother Nature always balances herself out.

Some say that after very mild weather, very cold comes after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

It’s like spring here in East Cork. I’m a fan of seasonal weather but November is usually a dismal month so this a much welcome departure from the norm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Genuinely warm away from the coast in Greystones when the sun is out. Christmas in 6 weeks and we are barely even hitting what I would typically expect to see in autumn, it has a feel of the tail end of summer more than the transition period from autumn to winter. I love colder weather in general, but at this time of year a few wet and windy weeks are nice. But there has been nothing at all but mild and dry weather for 6 months now. Its hard to appreciate good weather when you don't have bad weather to balance it out.

This isnt going to end well in a few years if all years are like this one and it's scary how people are so unquestioning and ignorant to it, simply professing "lovely weather" rather than being concerned at how our climate is on the brink of a devastating transition.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Another very mild day here in Meath and the sound of several lawnmowers going in the neighborhood, a sound which should not be heard in the middle of November. The grass is still growing so I will give it another cut next week, hopefully that will be the last cut of the year. Normally I stop cutting the grass early to mid October.

The following week to 10 days looks like remaining mild with high pressure in control with very little if any rainfall and temperatures generally in the 11 to 15C range. It remains to be seen if we will get frost or fog with the high pressure. Temperature for November is 2.1 degrees above normal at Dunsany and this warm temperature anomaly may increase further over the next week.

Temperatures may become a bit cooler towards the end of November but they should remain in double figures for the most part till the start of December unless there is a major change in the models soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Láidir agus Dílis

This November is currently ranked 12th warmest nationally since the mid 70s. There's too much Greta Thunburg coming off that post! It's weather, not climate.

We don't have the most interesting weather at the best of times, but this spell which set itself up in July has really lowered the bar. Even a light to moderate breeze now seems strong because we have become acclimatized to basically no wind at all over the last few months. Rainfall, when it does occur, is of that light and drab sort, yet no real drying inbetween. No frosty, starry nights. Just the same diluted drabness day in day out and I think this is only setting us up for an even more drab, featureless winter ahead. Strap yourself in.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,087 ✭✭✭pauldry

So the top 3 Novembers I can find recently are

2. 2011

3. 2015

Think 1994 IMT was near 10c so may be a bridge too far but we are definitely in with a chance to beat 2011. Definitely looks like an IMT over 9c for November. If IMT goes to 10c I reckon that would be the record but others here probably have the exact stats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

• Registered Users Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭appledrop

It reached 17 degrees at Shannon Airport on 8th according to official Met Eireann stats.

Personally I'm loving the milder weather, once its a dry day.

The rose bushes are still in bloom, great to see some plants still alive when all the leaves are decaying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Shannon, Castlederg and one of the Midland stations , I think mullingar. Last Monday.

Ah ok, on the 8th. I thought you meant on the 11th (ie. "a couple of days ago").

• Registered Users Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭OldRio

Drizzly warm day yesterday and rain overnight. To be honest I'm getting fed up with the rain. The ground is constantly wet.

Leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Very mild out ,Shannon 16 degrees at Midday

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭littlecopilot

Very mild in Kerry at the moment with the sun shining. Actual warmth from the sun feeling like 20c. Temp saying it 17c at the moment

Now ranked 10th for the Nov 1st to 13th period and rising by the day. Last night was like a summer's night such was its dead, humid warmth. Bedroom window had to left wide open again. Unnatural.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭highdef

Fingers crossed this type of weather continues right through the winter months. The persistent lack of wind is quite something but the sound of calmess is just beautiful. Bird song galore. Not great for electricity production,I admit, however mild and calm weather means much less use of electricity and less fuel being burnt. Lower heating bills, pleasant to be outside, not needing an umbrella too often but the odd time you do, little chance of it being blown inside out in the wind.

Currently out near Mullingar. It's calm with good sunny spells. There's actually warmth in the sun. All I can hear is birdsong. There are leaves still on most of the trees, some of which still have a lot of green leaves on them. All in all, stunning and just bliss for mid November.

I'm fully strapped in alright, hoping this weather just goes on and on as it really lifts the spirits and people I meet out for walks in the local roads are full of joy, in great form that they can truly enjoy the pleasant weather.

I think you'll get your wish because this weather will just go on and on and on and on... just like it has already gone on... and on... and on... and on.

New Moon

• Advertisement

The current sunspot phase and its impact on temperature pattens on the dark side of the northern moon

New Moon

Western Ireland is living a charmed existence today in relation to the rest of Europe.

Thought as much 🙂 I think you think if you moan enough about it the weather will change.

We've only had 20mm in Cork this month and yet everything is still saturated. There's no drying at all despite the lack of rain.

Post edited by mcburns07 on

If we are to be eternally cursed with this infernal high pressure, then let it move to our north. Better chance of drying and more seasonal (normal) temperatures.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,087 ✭✭✭pauldry

Ah it has to cool down eventually. 17c in a few locations again today. MTC hints at a colder spell end of November. I do think from 21st onwards will be a cooler pattern but probably 6 to 10c by day and 2 or 3c at night. Maybe one or 2 nights of frost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Billcarson

For weather enthusiasts its a complete and utter bore. Nothing seasonal, nothing, just the same drab rubbish day after day.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Another very mild late summer style day here in Meath, temperature got to 15C earlier in the sunshine. I've saved several 100 euros already in heating bills this Autumn, crazy stuff.

Been a very boring year of weather to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Billcarson

True,apart from the first half perhaps of January and the second half of July.

Advertisement