Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2021 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

And on a national scale to confirm that, Dooks (Kerry) today reached 28.6C on AWS as far as we know (could have been a tenth of a degree higher or so on the Mercury).

Meanwhile, the highest national August max in that same period since 2008 is only 27.0C at Glenties (Donegal) on 10 August 2012. Have to go back to 2006 to find a higher August national max than that.

May 2012 same year achieved 28.3C, July 2013 achieved 31.0C, June 2014 achieved 27.6C, July 2014 (at Durrow 😉) achieved 28.8C, July 2016 achieved 30.1C, May 2017 achieved 27.2C, June 2017 achieved 28.6C, June 2018 achieved 32.0C, July 2018 achieved 29.7C, June 2019 achieved 29.8C, June 2020 achieved 27.1C, July 2021 achieved 31.2C for months that have beaten the August max since 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I see the 2am report gave Valentia 21.9c surely that's the highest lowest temperature

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Hairypoppins

22 degrees at valentia at 2am in the morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The overnight minimum was 18.5 °C in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Hellishly humid morning after an even more hellishly humid night. The sooner this trash is over with the better. Sick to **cking death of it.

New Moon

• Advertisement

Easily beating its previous record min of 17.5c set in both 1985 and 2004.

Unless, of course, a min below these mentioned levels occurs before midnight.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Some of Ireland's highest September temperatures over the years since 1900. This is not a complete list of dates but it gives you a good idea how exceptional yesterday was. As I mentioned, provisional value of 28.6C is highest since 1906.

This comes after 31.2C in July too. Only other time I can see some notable warm weather in September that followed a summer of achieving at least 30C was 2003.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,748 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I can't believe we are missing the rain again in Kilkenny so far. The ground is rock hard and the 0.5mm that fell so far today is nothing. Hoping for better later.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

🛑 MOD WARNING - PLEASE TAKE NOTICE: 🛑 I have removed 32 posts from this thread that were short of the mark for what passes as respectful and fair contributions. Thankfully it is rare for us to remove posts, issue warnings, suspend or even ban users from the Weather Forum. It is something that is done after giving posters opportunity to tone down posts and reflect on what has gone before. Last night at 8pm I asked that all posters refrain from participating in a pointless tit-for-tat with regards to people's perception of weather conditions across two distinctly different weeks that we've just had. Unfortunately my request for refrain fell on deaf ears.

This is a final warning, posters that re-enter the now-deleted tit-for-tat will be met, without warning, a one-week ban from this Weather Forum. It's something we don't want to do, but left with little other choice it will happen. Thank You.

Currently 23.1c on the AWS, a good slice of clear sky across the southeast, south midlands and mid-west presently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭OldRio

Very disappointing morning here in Leitrim. Woke to rain and now its cloudy with occasional showers. Gusts of wind also. Thank goodness it's still warm.

Hovering around the 24c mark in a prolonged spell of unbroken sunshine. A light to moderate 8mph south east breeze here in south Laois.

When I left omagh it was sunny now in Enniskillen and its cloudy, heading back home to Carrick on Shannon and apparently it's raining there, as long as I get my thunderstorms I don't care ⛈️🌩️ ⚡

Sun is shining now. Wonderful.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Cloudy all day so far here in Meath but feeling very warm considering the lack of sunshine. Feels warmer than yesterday with no onshore east wind taking the edge off temperatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭boetstark

Look why don't you get a hobby and stop trying to wind people up.

To the vast majority of people this weather is a very welcome bonus. The trash as you call it will be with us soon enough. We will probably have cold wet weather for coming 7 months so please let us enjoy this beautiful last day of summer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Pleasant enough day in Dublin again, cloudy and dry, 20 degrees. Last few days were lovely

Agreed I hate winter the dark evenings are depressing mood ugh, I'm clinging on to the heat

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Another beautiful day here in Meath, sunny for the past 2 hours and very warm, warmer than yesterday and no wind, not even a breeze.

There was a minimum of 17.7 C on 2 September, 1932, according to this.

EDIT: Actually, they have it as 17.9 C in the 1971-2000 climate averages table here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭bmc58

Time to get the brushes out and give the chiminey a sweep.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

In the space of 15 minutes flash flooding in Castlebar. Its been a while

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

5am 9th September 2021. How many times would such uniformity of temperature have occurred in Ireland?! 20 stations at 17c, 4 stations at 16c, and the outlier, Malin Head (what's new!) at 15c just 1-2c off all the others.

Post edited by External Association on

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Fine drop of rain , 29mm here near Tralee since late last night with some heavy bursts, filled up the ponds.

Danno got a mention in the latest Meteorologist's Commentary yesterday.

Meteorologist's Commentary - Met Éireann - The Irish Meteorological Service

The first half of this week brought warm and dry weather across Ireland, however the second half of the week will turn more unsettled and less warm along with the chance of thunderstorms.

Temperatures this week peaked at 28.3°C in Durrow, Co. Laois on Tuesday – this is provisionally the first time a temperature above 28°C has been recorded in Ireland on a September day in 30 years. The last time temperatures reached 28°C was on 5th September 1991, with 28.4°C at Valentia, Co. Kerry. Temperatures of 28°C or higher have only occurred three times in September since Met Éireann’s digital records began in the 1960’s.

The average maximum temperature for Ireland during September is around 17°C, while the average minimum temperature is 9°C. The highest September maximum temperature on record in Ireland is 29.1°C, recorded on 1st September in Kildare on Saturday 1 September 1906.

Around 10 weather stations across Ireland provisionally recorded new September maximum temperature records on Tuesday, including Sherkin Island, Claremorris and Shannon Airport.

Just 1.7mm from side swipes of showers over this part of Laois yesterday. Overcast after some drizzle and mist, though some patchy blue sky bits are appearing. Mild and almost calm. Over 18c. Overnight low was 16.2c.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,167 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Lovely warm afternoon in Galway, dry since early morning, mostly sunny for the last few hours.

Very heavy showers around Carrick on Shannon.

Shopping was a rather damp affair.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Crazy shower of rain in Cork City; a torrent, but sunny.

Advertisement