Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health Insurance reimbursed by company but taxed on payslip

• 01-09-2021 6:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭

Hi

I recently changed employer, my previous employer paid my VHI and I paid BIK on it.

I then paid 9 months directly to VHI for the remainder of the year.

My new employer has reimbursed me for 6 months for July to December, however it has been put on my payslip and taxed.

Is that the correct way , I had presumed it would be taxed and I would paid a BIK charge?

Can I claim anything against those 6months in my tax returns at the end of the year?

Thanks in advance

Redman

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Yes it’s BIK. In effect it’s seen as income so you pay tax on it even though you didn’t get the cash

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Just make sure that your employer has included you on the return to the insurance provider. He has given you back six months that you paid yourself, which means that he is now paying it for you. Also, if the full 6 months were on a single payslip, and you paid tax on it all, the insurance should not appear again until January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Cheers!

Remember to claim the tax back on it in January

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

for Sure!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement