Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could some RTE Radio 1 shows be used permanently as TV shows

• 01-09-2021 7:05pm

Shows like Morning Ireland and Today with Clare Byrne are shown daily on the RTE news channel but why not give them proper TV sets and simulcast them on both RTE 1 radio & television? This would fix RTE ones lack of news coverage before 1pm. Imports currently on RTE 1 like Ellen and Dr Phil could replace RTE junior on RTE 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

For RTÉ to move RTÉjr from RTÉ2 they would have to ask the minister under section 103 of the broadcasting act, they did ask about 5 years ago but eventually withdrew the application. Ellen completely failed when it replaced the TRTÉ hour of TV at 4:30 and was quickly replace.... I don't think RTÉ under act was allowed to reduce children's TV on RTÉ2 by a full hour but no one is questioning this move.

I don't think Radio shows should be TV shows, though I know this has been done in NZ with one of the morning shows, the studio is set up for both TV and Radio. There is a huge question as to why RTÉ cannot have TV new bulletins in the morning as they did before.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Morning Ireland is already broadcast on RTE News on Ch 21 on Saorview but only as a webcam. A full TV studio would be much better, and not cost much since most would be fixed camera. Today with Claire Byrne could get the same treatment.

Dr Phil and Ellen are nearly as cheap as a test card and harder to watch.

Didn't RTE Junior used to run on RTE 2 from around 8am until 2:30pm ? Now it only runs from 9am until noon AFAIK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I think TRTÉ was always from 7am to 9am, with pre-school programming at 9am. They could have easily cut back in the afternoon.

At the very least the morning and late night news bulletins from Radio could come from RTÉ TV NEWS.

Advertisement