Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foot Vax

• 02-09-2021 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

Hi. Any long term user here that would give their experience of Foot Vax.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭White Clover

Sorry I don't know anything about it. Can you say what problems you have at present?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

We used to use it here and it always worked, we'd used it for the pedigree flock as they were in the shed from lambing mid december until mid march. it's expensive and needs to be done every six mths to have full cover. We just did them in december and then footbathed them during the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭brownswiss

Thanks. It is on the market quite a while , but I still have not spoken to anyone who consistently uses it . The company's promotional link (12 May 2016 — For maximum effect, treatment with Footvax should be combined with the use of a footbath and antibiotic treatment. ) would not encourage me to use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Proper use of the footbath controls normal problems, but we found that with the purebred sheep in so long after lambing they needed a bit extra. alot of what people call footrot is just scalds that are neglected. I always suspected a lactating ewe lying on an infected foot was more prone to mastitis in taht sometimes you'd even see the teat lying on the infected foot

We usually feed just straw and meal in the shed to the march lambing crossbred ewe so the bed is always dry and footbathing once or twice over the three month winter is enough, last year we fed wet silage for a fortnight and if we had to feed low DM silage for longer we'd have to consider footvax again.

Advertisement