Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TaylorMade p790 irons

Options
  • 02-09-2021 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭

Hi, was just wondering if anyone here had used these irons?

I was thinking about buying a set. I've a 13 year old set of irons at moment. Been thinking about changing this year. My current set would have the older traditional lofts- 4 iron is 24 degree, pw is 46.

I know the TaylorMade irons have strong lofts and have a reputation for distance. I'm not very short but could certainly use a bit more help. I'm aware I'd need to watch gaps from PW into other wedges with the stronger lofts

Reviews seem good but many are American reviews in lovely weather. I'd be interested in an Irish viewpoint on them. I've seen it mentioned that they can be hard to stop on greens due to lack of spin

Id probably look for a good second hand set of the original 2018 model as reviews don't seem to suggest the newer models give much extra so no point paying a few hundred euro more really

Any feedback or opinions welcome?

Or any suggestions regarding other irons to look at in that "player distance" category as they call it. Callaway Apex, mizuno jpx , etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Neewollah

Hi OP,

My story was very similar to yours. Was using a 12 year old set of Taylormades that I loved but I was definitely 2 clubs short of my playing partners all off similar handicaps.

Decided to go for a fitting and I've been using the P790's for just over a year and couldn't rate them highly enough. They definitely go miles but there is great feel off them and off centre hits do almost as well as those hit sweetly. I wouldn't have any issue with spin or control on greens with them. I find them as good as anything. When hit sweetly they go high and they go long which helps to stop them anyway

I believe the 1st version was 2017, followed by 2019 and now this years model. I have the 2019 set and I believe the only difference really is the head is marginally smaller than the 2017 version which makes it look better behind the ball.

Not going to lie, Do get the odd flyer with them but that's generally from the rough and that can be a good thing sometimes and you can get more loft behind it.

In the last 12 months I've dropped from 7 to 5 and I would say a huge part of it is hitting a lot less club into most greens now than previously. I would say I'm a club and a half to 2 clubs longer now with my irons. PW goes 140/145 and you can add 10 yards for each club as you go upwards. probably have a slight gap between my PW and 50 degree wedge but can play around with the PW distances to get me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭big_drive

Great thanks for the detailed reply. That all sounds good

My main reason as well would be to try hit more greens from my second shot and get easier pars. My 6 iron was always about my 165 yard club, I find I'm nearly having to go an easy 5 instead now. I'm a bit older, not playing as much as 10 years ago and probably losing a bit of distance. I find I'm probably trying to swing a bit harder on anything over 150 and losing control as a result. Then relying on a chip and putt for par instead of maybe an easy 2 putt.

I would be concerned alright on the gap from PW to 50 degree. I see there is a P790 approach wedge available at 50 degree, perhaps this might blend in well with the set

When comparing yourself to your mates look at the lofts not the number on the bottom of the club.

Although with 12 year old irons an upgrade is definitely warranted. Go try some out at a fitting, you just pay for the fitting you don’t have to buy. You can take the findings and go buy a 2nd hand set of the required specs.

Advertisement